Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Changes to points on 7/13/2017 to 7/21/2017

Matt DMatt D Posts: 30Administrator
edited July 21 in Announcements

Update 7/20/2017 9:54pm

All -

Thank you all for your patience. I wanted to provide an update to the recent changes in points.

To set the stage, we have been working with California’s utilities (particularly SCE) to provide us with your meter data faster. While we succeeded on this front, it created an unexpected side effect: their meter data was not always accurate. We implemented a change about a week ago to recalculate your points on an ongoing basis to account for subtle updates in data from the utilities, fix streaks that continually got broken, and ensure that your status level bonuses are correctly awarded. We rolled that change out on 7/13/2017, only to find that it strongly exposed a couple of issues on our calculations that had remained undiscovered up to that point. We apologize for the inconvenience, but as a result of this recent effort, we feel that our #OhmHour result calculations are as robust as ever. Every few hours, we are re-evaluating your reductions and ensuring that your streaks, your streak bonus, your status level, your status level bonus, and most importantly your data is up to date and accurate.

We have addressed the majority of issues that you have surfaced, but there are a number of issues that remain outstanding:

• Negative Points. Some of you currently have negative points. Those that do, the most likely reason for this is that you cashed out in the midst of our recalculations when you were in a state that you were momentarily overcompensated. In general, this affects no more than 5-15% of your total lifetime points so you should expect to return to a positive amount after a few #OhmHours (usually 3-4).
  • ** If you are in this category and did not cash out during the past week (7/13 - 7/20), please let us know.
  • ** If you are in this category and would like to take those "negative points" to be on "credit", we are allowing for that, though note that credit will throttle payments of future points. Please leave a message on the chat window in the dashboard and ask for "negative points to be turned into credit"
  • Incorrect 0 Point #OhmHours. We have a small number of #OhmHours that were inexplicitly turned to 0 points and were not an "environmental" (or no point #OhmHour). One of our lead engineers is working on that bug now
  • One-off exceptions. For users that had previously asked for an exception to their #OhmHour that they received negative points on, that exception has been rolled back. We are working on creating a pathway for these exceptions to be handled in a fair and equitable manner to all OhmConnect users (not just the ones that are active on forums and writing into our support team)

Some of the issues we recently addressed (in the past 48 hours), included issues related to:

• A -1 or +1 point addition to your account periodically
  • A periodic 20% increase or decrease of your #OhmHour points for the same #OhmHour
  • Baseline boost being evaporated
  • Recent Silver+ users that had TBDs during the period while in Bronze or Carbon
  • Users who had purchased devices in the summer of 2016 getting their credit balance moved into their point balance

Again, we apologize about the issues that were created and we thank you for your patience as we work to get you paid for reducing your electricity!

Best,

Matt Duesterberg
CEO

Update 7/17/2017 1:35pm

OhmConnect members -

Thanks for your patience as we get your points sorted out based on updated data from your utility. I wanted to give you a quick update on what is going on as we work on resolving two new bugs that our change introduced:

• Small negative points added into an account. We have a bug that affects many of you in which you will lose one point periodically throughout the day. @snetphilie correctly recognized this as a rounding issue. We have seen the maximum that was taken away due to this issue was 20 points (if you lost more than that, you are likely in one of the three categories below). Rest assured, you will have your phantom points recovered once we fix this issue.
  • #OhmHours not being calculated at all. If you have recently signed up (within the last 3 weeks), we recalculated your #OhmHour points to be 0 for the #OhmHours that occurred before you were approved by your utility. We will be correcting this and recalculating #OhmHours as if you were approved by your utility up to three weeks before the approval of your utility

I also wanted to address a few issues that is creating concerns for users in specific situations:

• For several people, our customer support team provided a “one-time forgiveness” of an #OhmHour that caused you to lose points or lose your streak. However, this was a manual process, and those one-time forgiveness events was overwritten by recalculations. Within the coming weeks, this feature will be provided to you as part of the token marketplace and you will be able to use that and recalculate your points to whatever streak you see fit
  • For users who purchased devices during the summer of 2016 on credit, your credit balance has interfered with our recalculation. We are working to resolve this shortly and will be in touch

Best,

Matt

Original Post 7/15/2017 10:48am

Hi all - this is Matt Duesterberg, CEO of OhmConnect.

Our goal is to reward our community for saving energy in a fun, engaging, and impactful manner. Through those efforts, we have succeeded in getting your utility to share data as soon as possible, so we can quickly reward our community for #OhmHours. While your utility now shares usage data faster, we’ve discovered that it’s occasionally inaccurate and we are sent updates at a later date.

We’ve listened carefully to feedback from our community and we’re making the following updates to ensure you have the best experience:

Utility Data Updates
If your utility’s data for a particular #OhmHour changes, we will recalculate your points for that event. This means that you may see your points change for an #OhmHour every now and then. We took a look at the users who had changes to their utility data and it usually resulted in increased #OhmHour rewards. However, there were a few cases which resulted in decreased #OhmHour rewards.

These recalculations will happen automatically, so your points and streaks will always reflect the freshest and most recent data we have from your utility.

#OhmHour ‘Drill Down’
We are building a new feature that will visualize the data we use to establish your forecast for every #OhmHour. As some of our savvy users are aware, your forecast is calculated by averaging your electricity usage during the same time as the #OhmHour during the preceding 10 weekdays (or 4 weekend days for weekend #OhmHours). We will share all the data we have to calculate your forecast. Just like the #OhmHour points recalculation, this data will also reflect the freshest utility data we have available.

We will share more details on this feature this Thursday, so stay tuned!

Thank you for being part of the OhmConnect and helping create the biggest and most impactful energy sharing community.

Matt Duesterberg

Best Answer

• Matt DMatt D Posts: 30Administrator
    Accepted Answer

@WaterGuy Thanks for being persistent about this issue. I have looked into this further and think that this is a new bug in our code that has not been tracked down yet. I think this is the same one that applies to several other users in the forum (notably @jr.alvarez.jesse@gmail.com @Shelby @alicia_jung@yahoo.com), but we have not gotten to the bottom of this issue yet. Our lead engineer is working on determining what the cause of this is and I hope to give you an update in the next couple of days on this front.

@Stevo We are doing a "Soft Cap" of 2000 points which allows us to release points from users who have legitimate usage. FYI - the reason we cap it is to protect from fraudulent or incorrect activity. For example, we have a number of users who have broken meters (in which consumption will spike randomly to 10000 kWh in a single 15 minute period). That causes some oddities in our system that we are trying to fix.

@vetidora_03@yahoo.com Great question. For the one time forgiveness, we are going to be creating a couple of cards that will allow you to either protect your streak or get points from the opt out. Those will be released in a few weeks but I believe you will be able to apply those cards retroactively - I will need to check with our engineering team on that.

Answers

• kenny113kenny113 Posts: 3Member

I just got three referrals in earlier this week and had 6000 points in my account. I have signed in several times since then and still had 6000 points. I have accrued points (not gone into the red) on all recent OhmHours (streak of 6 currently). I just got the text about tomorrow's OhmHour, clicked the link, filled out the survey, and now all of a sudden I lost a point and am down to 5999. What gives?!

• snetphiliesnetphilie ConcordPosts: 133Member, Moderator

Lots of us on here could help you figure it out, but the best way to do that is to post your downloaded data. On the main page under your #OhmHour Performance in the bottom right you'll see Download Point History. Download that file then upload it on here using the little paper icon with the folded corner. I think they might still be blocking csv files, so you might have to rename the file so that it ends in txt instead of csv, otherwise, you can do a screenshot if you're familiar with that.

• sdaec2@gmail.comsdaec2@gmail.com Posts: 7Member

-548 points

• vetidoravetidora Posts: 68Member
    edited July 14
    I'm also now in the negative with a streak of 6 that should be 33 with a balance of 0. It was fine this morning but by this afternoon it was all messed up. I wrote to ohm to see what was going on and for them to fix it hopefully
  • John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamPosts: 358Member
    edited July 14

@sdaec2@gmail.com, looks like they adjusted a number of your previous OH results today. They would first offset your previous award with an equal negative amount to zero it out, and then make a new (slightly smaller) award for the OH. This seems to be because the previous numbers for base and streak were just added incorrectly. I don't know how that could have happened, but the old totals as they NOW appear in the spreadsheet just don't add up. Perhaps those numbers were different when the awards were originally made???? The big thing, however, is that they zeroed out the award of 539 pts for the 6/22 OH, but they did not give you any new award.

Also, as you pointed out, the $/kWh award for your recent events is horrible ($.25/kWh). Those are the main things you can ask about.

• JenvelJenvel Posts: 9Member
    edited July 14

I received a credit yesterday for one of my ohm hours and when I checked my points history sheet it looked like something was going on with it. It looks like there are multiple dates being recalculated. The payments didn't differ from the previous and original calculations so I didn't think anything of it. I checked it again this morning and my dashboard is showing -1. I checked the history again and it looks like the sheet has ran the same dates again. Not sure why this is happening? It doesn't look like I've been overpaid for anything so I'm just curious as to where the -1 is coming from. Anyone have the same going on?

What's going ion yesterday I had a balance of 0 and a streak of 33 then yesterday afternoon I ha e negative points with a streak of 6, then last night I have a balance of 530 with my streak still at 6. Now this morning my last two ohms finally posted giving me a total of 2334 when it should be 1805. I know have a streak of 8 instead of a streak of 35 I've emailed them and there response was to use the chat box on the site which I've never gotten an answer from before. Any suggestions
  • WaterGuyWaterGuy Posts: 403Member, Moderator

@Jenvel, @vetidora_03@yahoo.com, @Sabreena , @BNimon, it looks like lots of folks have noticed strange updates and changes in their points history files in the past day or so. If history is a good guide, the facts that it's a) so widespread and b) so many people have reported reporting it suggest that OC is well aware of these issues and is likely working on them behind the scenes. (Or, as @snetphilie has suggested, they may have unintentionally broken something while working on something else.) I'd suggest we all sit tight and wait for them to get things fixed--in my experience, solutions to more widespread issues are generally applied to everyone's account without needing to contact support individually, and things are made right on the points/streak side. After the fix is implemented or the explanation for the change is given, you may have more luck contacting support with any lingering issues specific to your account.

In any case, let's maybe try to keep conversation about this to a single thread, just to keep the forum a bit more organized and make sure we can all track the answers. @That Son Of A Bitz, is it possible to collapse the various threads on this topic into a single thread?

• snetphiliesnetphilie ConcordPosts: 133Member, Moderator

Yeah, I had a bunch of negations and corrections repeat on my account. Best to just sit tight since they are certainly doing something! @Jenvel, the reason why you have a negative 1 right now, I believe, is due to rounding errors. In the past, when calculations were much simpler, I actually identified how their calculations weren't rounding correctly. Since I've been keeping track, I've lost about a point every two months. Now I'm certainly not worried about a missing point, but it is just a tad aggravating when I have to adjust my own spreadsheet that I keep for my records each time my numbers don't match theirs :neutral:

• sdaec2@gmail.comsdaec2@gmail.com Posts: 7Member

More points deducted today and Ohm is not explaining why. There is no connection and communication going on here.

• caseyferncaseyfern Posts: 3Member

I've dropped from Platinum to Carbon after taking 'advantage' of the special with the two for one purchase rebate that I can't get to because of a lack of TP-Link support. It keeps wanting usernames and passwords we never had to enter in order to activate a device. Any idea how to break this Sisyphus task chain?

• AKPsi VinceAKPsi Vince Union CityPosts: 971Moderator
    @snetphilie You've got some serious OC OCD LOL
    This is great and all but I'm still concerned about the fact that I lost my streak. One day I'm at 33 and later that same day I'm at 6. Now I'm at 8 when I should be at 35. Also each time I come on here I've been losing 1 point I started with 2334 now at 2332. The one and only ohm that I missed was because I didn't get notification for it but after finding out it was a site wide issue my streak was fixed.
  • Kristajay510Kristajay510 Posts: 4Member
    Im very conserned because i was not notified of a ohm saving day and so my streak went all the way down to 0 when i was at something like 28 in a row. How can i get that fixed?
  • Steve ESteve E Posts: 211Member, Moderator

In regards to losing one point‚ I had zero points due to cashing out recently and when I logged on today I am at -1.

I downloaded my data using the "Download Point History" option and can see from the dates in the CSV file that there seems to have been some points recalculations done yesterday and today. I am with SCE and this may well be part of them "fixing" their data.

However‚ there seems to some issue maybe with rounding as for each negative offset the positive adjustment is identical.

@Matt D - I don't know if you are aware of this issue and if it is indeed some kind of issue related to rounding?

• StevoStevo Posts: 25Member

Has ohmconnect implemented a new cap at 2000 points? I downloaded my points history and dozens of days were recalculated. Some went up while others went down, overall not much changed. One exception was on 6/21; it was a 2hour event advertised as triple the normal points. I received approx. 3090 points, by far my best ohmhour, but during this recalculation it was lowered to exactly 2000 points.

@Stevo said:
    Has ohmconnect implemented a new cap at 2000 points? I downloaded my points history and dozens of days were recalculated. Some went up while others went down, overall not much changed. One exception was on 6/21; it was a 2hour event advertised as triple the normal points. I received approx. 3090 points, by far my best ohmhour, but during this recalculation it was lowered to exactly 2000 points.

I believe there is a soft cap of 2000 points that is meant to prevent erroneous awarding of mass points to people. I would contact help@ohmConnect.com to have them look at your account so that they can correctly award any points that you are due. You will be awarded any points in excess of 2000 that you are due. For the two hour OhmHour in question I received 4332 points with my platinum status and streak bonus

How far back do I have to go? I have had to 3090 points already in my account for a month and they retroactively removed it. Even if I manage to get it fixed, who is to say they won't just remove the points next month (or next year even).

@Stevo said:
    How far back do I have to go? I have had to 3090 points already in my account for a month and they retroactively removed it. Even if I manage to get it fixed, who is to say they won't just remove the points next month (or next year even).

They seem to be in the process of receiving updated data from some utility companies that is probably causing some of the previous OhmHours to be updated and I would hazard a guess that is what caused your points changing. It should not be an ongoing issue for the utility companies to have to send corrected data to fix erroneous or partial data they have previously transmitted‚ so hopefully this will not be an ongoing issue and is closed to being resolved. As I stated‚ I would recommend you contact help@OhmConnect.com so they can rectify any issues with your points

I did contact them, I expect that they will fix it. It seems like the 2000 point cap is a very common problem based on other post in this forum.

• No Pain No GainNo Pain No Gain 93035Posts: 79Member

@Steve E I'm with SCE, too, and when going through my points on the CSV spreadsheet, I noticed the problem with the rounding. Since my points are off by a few, I wasn't going to mention it, but if @Matt D is looking into whether it's just you or if it's an issue, then I'd say this is an issue. In the long-run, it could make a difference if the rounding isn't done correctly.

• When taking a vacation away from home, is it possible to suspend my #OhnHours participation without affection my streak or losing points? Or, do I have to continue to track #OhmHours announcements and try to remotely, using Smart Outlets, turn off refrigerator or other appliances? Please advise, as I'm planning an August holiday. Thanks.

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 687Member, Moderator
    edited July 16
    You can change your settings so you are not eligible for any #OhmHours. Doing this will not impact your Streak or level.
  • nlaceynlacey Posts: 5Member

@Steve E said:
    In regards to losing one point‚ I had zero points due to cashing out recently and when I logged on today I am at -1.

I downloaded my data using the "Download Point History" option and can see from the dates in the CSV file that there seems to have been some points recalculations done yesterday and today. I am with SCE and this may well be part of them "fixing" their data.

However‚ there seems to some issue maybe with rounding as for each negative offset the positive adjustment is identical.

@Matt D - I don't know if you are aware of this issue and if it is indeed some kind of issue related to rounding?

I've noticed this same problem; I'm now at -2; summing my values in the downloaded csv should result in +2, though.

• KramerKramer Posts: 12Member

I too have been hit with the negative point dilemma. On 7/13 my account showed -1, log in this morning and it's now at -5.
    I hope this is a glitch that will soon be rectified.

• justanothersahmjustanothersahm Posts: 4Member
    I am also losing 1 point a day. I just cashed out, was 0. Then -1 yesterday, today I'm at -2.

I just checked my dashboard and am now at -2 as well. Downloading the data once again shows that there was another points addition and subtraction done today that again was for equal points in all cases

• KramerKramer Posts: 12Member

@Kramer said:
    I too have been hit with the negative point dilemma. On 7/13 my account showed -1, log in this morning and it's now at -5.
    I hope this is a glitch that will soon be rectified.

WTH now it's -6