Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Token Troubleshooting

UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,579Member, Moderator

I've noticed that token rewards seldom work correctly. Has anyone else noticed this?

I have 5 connected devices (1 Thermostat and 4 Smart Plugs) and sometimes I receive 5 X 10 tokens for an OhmHour and other times I only receive 2 X 10 Tokens.

Last night's OhmHour:

Previous OhmHour:

I do have one device that randomly turns itself off, but I always check it before the OhmHour starts to ensure it is turned on so that it will automatically be turned off. Last night I checked after the OhmHour started and all devices had been turned off. This morning I see that I'm short a few tokens.

Any ideas?

Best Answer

  • UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,579Member, Moderator
    Accepted Answer

    Everything was turned back on afterwards and I received all the tokens I should have this time around. This morning a single device has turned off overnight and it's the one that has been doing this off and on.My suspicion now is that device is the one causing me token problems.

Answers

  • WaterGuyWaterGuy Posts: 414Member, Moderator

    @snetphilie has probably looked into this more than anyone else, and may have some ideas/suggestions. I have seen some variation in mine, too, but usually get credit for all four switches.

  • snetphiliesnetphilie ConcordPosts: 139Member, Moderator
    edited July 2017

    There are tons of bugs, and it's likely that some are hardware, and some are software both with OhmConnect and TP-Link. Long story short, I notice that the device that's the furthest from my access point fails the most, so obviously just a weak antenna (hardware) issue. (I should also note that I can maintain a Wifi connection with my phone in this area so it's not that bad of a signal) For possibly that reason, and likely other reasons, when a connection is lost, it seams as if OhmConnects connection is sometimes permanently lost, that is, until you reconnect. As you noted, if a device is off already, for any reason, then you don't get tokens, and the same goes for thermostats that aren't set to heat or cool. To get around this, whenever possible, I go to the connect page and re-enter my Kasa credentials shortly before the OhmHour. I then go to the connect page and make sure the On/Off switches are on their proper setting. If I'm home, I might even test a few switches by controlling them through the connect page. Refreshing the connect page is also useful after you do anything as I've found errors will likely pop up on the screen if there is something wrong. As things settle down, I pay less attention until I notice a missing 10 tokens and I get back to work. Things have been much more consistent lately so perhaps most of the bugs have been worked out.

  • UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,579Member, Moderator
    edited July 2017

    Thanks @snetphilie.

    I just updated the firmware on the tp-link devices after reading another post so we'll see how it goes. I have an OHMHour starting in 6 minutes and currently all smart devices are "ON" so we'll see what happens:

  • UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,579Member, Moderator

    The AC went off around 2 mins before the OhmHour but it took around 15 mins for the TP-link devices to turn off.

  • snetphiliesnetphilie ConcordPosts: 139Member, Moderator
    I got home halfway through and everything was off as far as I could tell. When it was over I got 90 points. I have 8 plugs, a thermostat, and the cell phones. I just checked the schedules on each device in Kasa and all but one device had today's and yesterday's on and off times. I'm guessing the one device is the one that's missing. This leads me to believe that OhmConnect might be programming the times ahead of time, but I will have to verify that the next time I'm home for one. If it takes them a while to get to everyone's devices, perhaps with more people using the service, they aren't starting early enough and they are still shutting things off after the hour has started. I've also reconnected a device mid-OhmHour and received points, so maybe their check of whether or not the device "participated" is a separate process. For example, my devices turn back on in the hour, but my notification from them that this had occurred will vary.

    My recommendation is they update their script to clear out all previously entered one time start and stop scheduled items before adding the new items. Then, at least once, go back and verify that the schedules are set properly, do as many checks as they'd like and can support during the OhmHour to verify things are switched off, then verify that the schedule wasn't compromised afterwards by checking if the start and stop time are still there, then remove them. They might not have time to do the preliminary checks for sudden OhmHours, but otherwise, this should result in greater reliability. Plus, I have a nagging suspicion that if the schedules get overloaded with old data, the devices could start to malfunction due to lack of memory or an overrun table. I'm guessing TP-Link could fix a few things on their end too, but it's a lot harder for us to know what they're responsible for.
Sign In or Register to comment.