Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Save your baseline boost for Solar Eclipse?

SD ChipSD Chip Posts: 146Member
edited July 2017 in Energy news

On the morning of Aug 21st the state will be under the effect of a partial solar eclipse. CAISO expects to lose about 5600MW of solar generation in a 1-2 hour period. I will be saving my baseline boost for this event!
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/energy-green/sd-fi-solar-eclipse-20170508-story.html

Comments

• SD ChipSD Chip Posts: 146Member

Well....now that the baseline boost cost 10,000 tokens, that plan just went out the window...

• Richard strangeRichard strange SoCalPosts: 71Member

Wow, that's a huge increase and had I've known, I would've bought two of them already with what I had saved.
    I guess we now need to remember adjusting the allowed ohm hour period near to this date it. Hate to do that since we'll be making the problem worse (as device automation wont kick in etc), however there is too much to lose in terms of streak bonuses etc by not doing this.

• Chris HolmanChris Holman Posts: 5Member

@SD Chip said:
    On the morning of Aug 21st the state will be under the effect of a partial solar eclipse. CAISO expects to lose about 5600MW of solar generation in a 1-2 hour period. I will be saving my baseline boost for this event!
    http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/energy-green/sd-fi-solar-eclipse-20170508-story.html

Solar generator here. Now that baseline boost is 10k points, the only thing I can think of to still be able to participate in the 8/21 multi-hour OhmHour (which I'm sure we all assume is coming) is to turn off solar production from 9a-12p every weekday 8/7 through 8/18. The same period last year I generated ~60kwh. At 28c/kwh that's ~$20 in lost generation for the opportunity to participate in what may be the biggest OhmHour yet. Wonder if it would be worth it...

• CraigWCraigW Posts: 48Member

How's the look back for the forecast work? The FAQ forum say the last ten times (or five times) and the previous 4 hours excluding prior hour. So last night we had our first ohmhour ar 6 PM. My forecast will be based off hour our prior usage in the 6PM hour June, July and first two weeks of August (I have Solar), which would have still been producing hours, now is a little less so. And then my adjustment ratio will be factored by the 2PM, 3PM and 4 PM usage hours which are all decreasing net generation hours for me.

So basically, I'll get a double hit of a a step down ratio (due to generation earlier in the day) and a lower starting forecast due to more generation earlier in the month?

Thanks.

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,600Member, Moderator
    edited August 2017

How's the look back for the forecast work? The FAQ forum say the last ten times (or five times) and the previous 4 hours excluding prior hour. So last night we had our first ohmhour ar 6 PM. My forecast will be based off hour our prior usage in the 6PM hour June, July and first two weeks of August (I have Solar), which would have still been producing hours, now is a little less so. And then my adjustment ratio will be factored by the 2PM, 3PM and 4 PM usage hours which are all decreasing net generation hours for me.

So basically, I'll get a double hit of a a step down ratio (due to generation earlier in the day) and a lower starting forecast due to more generation earlier in the month?

Thanks.

The forecast is based on the previous 10 days (if #OhmHour is a weekday) or 4 days (if #OhmHour is a weekend day), excluding any previous days which had an #OhmHour. There is currently no "adjustment ratio" used in the calculation. In your case, because it was your first, you should be able to take the previous 10 weekdays. The forecast will be the average over those 10 days of your usage between 6-7pm. To avoid getting penalized on a cloudy day you should adjust your settings so you only participate in #OhmHours after 6pm....that's exactly what I do and I'll adjust that to 5pm once it starts getting darker earlier as we head into winter.

Once your first OhmHour scores you can click on it to view the detail and confirm the figures in the forecast.

• chuckharchuckhar Posts: 3Member

Was there a glitch on the time period? I was texted the Ohm hour was from 10 am to 11 am and participated, but then I was notified that it ended at 12 noon, not 11 am, I wish I had known that I would have acted accordingly! I hope this does not cost me points!!

• Richard strangeRichard strange SoCalPosts: 71Member

There was a glitch like this last week also and I believe @Matt D posted something saying it didn't affect anything.