Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

New Referral Contest

Who else thinks it's Super Cool to have a chance to win a Prize for helping your new Referrals Reach Silver Before Labor Day?

Comments

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 687Member, Moderator
    It would be cool if I could get any referrals. I find it almost impossible!
  • Kimberly McDermottKimberly McDermott Posts: 28Member

@UkiwiS have you tried posting in the San Diego Buy and Sell Groups?

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 687Member, Moderator
    > @Kimberly McDermott said:
    > @UkiwiS have you tried posting in the San Diego Buy and Sell Groups?

I got my hand slapped for posting on Nextdoor and other posts flagged on Craigslist.
    edited August 19

Hmmm @UkiwiS well Im still not sure what Nextdoor is and have never tried Craigslist...just try a normal regular old fashioned facebook buy and sell group. ..I had 21 reach silver this morning. ..now I'll admit they all joined at various times during the last 30days and I don't normally have that many hit at once but the Facebook groups do seem to be working

• No Pain No GainNo Pain No Gain 93035Posts: 79Member

@Kimberly McDermott Nextdoor is like a FB for your neighborhood. @UkiwiS I have gotten several referrals from Nextdoor, and that's where I signed up with OC, but I only share my link as a comment in posts directly relating to energy and debates on power stations. I don't know what a buy and sell group on FB is, but I'm going to check it out. I just did the math on 21 reaching Silver. Wow!

@No Pain No Gain yes like a yard sale or craigslist or buy and sell group...just search it when you on facebook Im sure one or two or hundreds will come up in you area...and yes the Math is great lol therefore Im still waiting on a manual payout lol but that should be monday or so lol

• SD ChipSD Chip Posts: 62Member

Make sure you all check out the Token Marketplace....a very valuable card there if you have a lot of referrals coming your way.

• Heather R. WeatherHeather R. Weather Posts: 60Member
    edited September 7

Not sure the best place to post this but Im wondering if I'm misunderstanding the labor day contest. I know I got at least one referral that went through and I've received text alerts about it that stated I needed 2 more to receive the Ecobee4. Are they sending out an email telling you what you qualify for and providing the code? The fine print is really confusing and makes it sound like you go to the store and pick and then they give you a code. I am not sure what I even quality for as the referral bonuses have been somewhat buggy. Sounds like I can pick the "two referral" option but I really need to better understand what to do. Not sure if I'm being impatient and its coming...or if im clueless and will miss out.

The Fine Print

After Labor Day, you'll select the device you want. The more referrals you get, the more options you can choose from (limit of one free device per account):

One referral: 1 TP-LINK smart plug (you choose either the HS110 or HS105 model)
    Two referrals: 1 Wiser Air or Honeywell Lyric thermostat, or option 1 above
    Three referrals: 1 ecobee3 lite thermostat, or option 1 or 2
    Four referrals: 1 ecobee4 thermostat, or option 1, 2 or 3
    We'll give you a discount code for the device you choose that will get you 50% off that device at the OhmConnect Store. Then you'll get the other 50% back via OhmConnect points when you connect your device to your account. Connecting your device to OhmConnect means it will automatically save energy and help you earn points during #OhmHours.

• WaterGuyWaterGuy Posts: 403Member, Moderator

@Heather R. Weather said:
    Not sure the best place to post this but Im wondering if I'm misunderstanding the labor day contest. I know I got at least one referral that went through and I've received text alerts about it that stated I needed 2 more to receive the Ecobee4. Are they sending out an email telling you what you qualify for and providing the code? The fine print is really confusing and makes it sound like you go to the store and pick and then they give you a code. I am not sure what I even quality for as the referral bonuses have been somewhat buggy. Sounds like I can pick the "two referral" option but I really need to better understand what to do. Not sure if I'm being impatient and its coming...or if im clueless and will miss out.

The Fine Print

After Labor Day, you'll select the device you want. The more referrals you get, the more options you can choose from (limit of one free device per account):

One referral: 1 TP-LINK smart plug (you choose either the HS110 or HS105 model)
    We'll give you a discount code for the device you choose that will get you 50% off that device at the OhmConnect Store. Then you'll get the other 50% back via OhmConnect points when you connect your device to your account. Connecting your device to OhmConnect means it will automatically save energy and help you earn points during #OhmHours.

Hi Heather. I also emailed Support about this, because it wasn't clear to me where to find the discount code. Here's what I heard back yesterday:

"The referral code will be sent out this week for all those who qualified."

• @WaterGuy thank you so much! I figured that it was still being worked out. Glad I wasnt the only one who thought it was slightly unclear.

Did you manage to qualify for any? If I did get to level 2, Im not sure which one of those thermostats to pick! Also unsure my existing wiring will work with it - I dont have AC, only central heat, but these smart thermostats seem really cool and I just got an Echo Dot along with two smart plugs from the past offer so if feels like a good next step.

@WaterGuy thank you so much! I figured that it was still being worked out. Glad I wasnt the only one who thought it was slightly unclear.

Did you manage to qualify for any? If I did get to level 2, Im not sure which one of those thermostats to pick! Also unsure my existing wiring will work with it - I dont have AC, only central heat, but these smart thermostats seem really cool and I just got an Echo Dot along with two smart plugs from the past offer so if feels like a good next step.

I'm in the same place--I got two referrals, and am debating whether to upgrade my thermostat (I already have a WiFi one, though it doesn't have many features) or just go for another smart plug. I've been reading reviews, and I like many of the Lyric's features, but I'd definitely be interested to hear from other folks who have one of the two!

Regarding your wiring, it generally isn't too difficult to figure out what you're working with. If you take off the cover of your thermostat, you should be able to see where the bundled wire comes out of the wall, and you can count how many small, colored wires are included. (Some may not be connected to your current thermostat.) Then, you can compare that with the number of wires required by the thermostat, which you should be able to figure out with a little research into the specs. Good luck!

• @WaterGuy said:

@WaterGuy thank you so much! I figured that it was still being worked out. Glad I wasnt the only one who thought it was slightly unclear.

I'm in the same place--I got two referrals, and am debating whether to upgrade my thermostat (I already have a WiFi one, though it doesn't have many features) or just go for another smart plug. I've been reading reviews, and I like many of the Lyric's features, but I'd definitely be interested to hear from other folks who have one of the two!

Regarding your wiring, it generally isn't too difficult to figure out what you're working with. If you take off the cover of your thermostat, you should be able to see where the bundled wire comes out of the wall, and you can count how many small, colored wires are included. (Some may not be connected to your current thermostat.) Then, you can compare that with the number of wires required by the thermostat, which you should be able to figure out with a little research into the specs. Good luck!

From what I've read the missing link is sometimes the "C" wire and requires adding it, which I really dont want to get involved with. I have found that every simple home improvement I decide to do is never just that. How interesting we are in the same boat. Congrats to you! I really hope others chime in about this topic to help us decide!

@WaterGuy said:

From what I've read the missing link is sometimes the "C" wire and requires adding it, which I really dont want to get involved with. I have found that every simple home improvement I decide to do is never just that. How interesting we are in the same boat. Congrats to you! I really hope others chime in about this topic to help us decide!

You may already be aware of this, but there's nothing special about the wires themselves--a "C" wire is only a "C" wire because it's being used as such. What's really important is a) having at least the number of wires required by the thermostat for the operation of your furnace and b) being able to identify the ends of the same wire on both the thermostat and furnace ends. When I installed my WiFi thermostat, I actually did have to rerun new wire, but it's very possible you won't need to. A quick check of what you have in your wall should give you all the information you need!

• @WaterGuy thanks for the info - its all new to me... the 1980s thermostat came with my house haha. I will definitely check before pulling the trigger on getting one. I wouldnt mind another smart plug either - the compact one that doesnt cover both outlets. But ya know the thermostats are a much bigger prize!

• Richard strangeRichard strange SoCalPosts: 57Member
    edited September 8

There are also kits that most of the thermostat manufactures make that go either end that can give you the extra C wire if needed without needing to install wire
    edit
    like this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Ecobee-EBPEK01-Smart-Power-Extender/dp/B00SETVSN2

• John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamPosts: 358Member

@WaterGuy said:
    Hi Heather. I also emailed Support about this, because it wasn't clear to me where to find the discount code. Here's what I heard back yesterday:

"The referral code will be sent out this week for all those who qualified."

@WaterGuy, thank you for the information. The response should have been posted here . . . by an OC administrator. This is a change from what was in the fine print: "After Labor Day, you'll select the device you want."

• tashaswayoflifetashaswayoflife Posts: 1Member

Was this only for people who have not received a free device in the past? I never saw anything about this contest and I got lots of referrals and check my account daily.

@tashaswayoflife An email went out on 8/26: You can earn a FREE ecobee4 by referring 4 friends who reach Silver status between now and Labor Day (9/4/17), plus the usual $20 cash for each referral. Here's what's available: One referral: 1 TP-LINK smart plug (you choose either the HS110 or HS105 model)

If you had qualifying referrals between 8/26-9/4, apparently the discount coupons will be sent out this week.

So i received this email on Aug 28th, but as of today no one has reached out to me on how to get my thermostat.
    Waiting patiently....

• wow @SD Chip congrats! I wonder how many people got 4 in the time period. Felt pretty luck of the draw, given it wasnt based on getting people to sign up in the time period, but the full approval process which can be like pulling teeth between all the hurdles. I'm amazed I even got 2.

@Heather R. Weather , I had 2 or 3 waiting on that approval and was running out of time, so the last one I needed was my niece who lives nearby, which I helped to set up her account. She was approved in just a couple days. Still have 2 or 3 waiting on approval, but I did reach the magic number of 4....

Congrats! @SD Chip As @Heather R. Weather said, that's an amazing accomplishment in that small window. I'm sure OC will have the coupons sent out sometime soon. That said, it's easier to be patient when you're only waiting for a plug. :wink:

• Misti PattenMisti Patten Posts: 17Member
    edited September 10

I had four during that time period and haven't heard anything at all. With what was posted above about getting fifty percent off then fifty percent back in ohm money....am I misunderstanding? Does this mean that although we won a free thermostat...we still have to pay 50% of the cost up front? So let's say I really wanted an ecobee so got a whole bunch of referrals, it's not actually free??? If I can't afford one, then I'm just SOL?

• AKPsi VinceAKPsi Vince Union CityPosts: 971Moderator

Yes. But you'll get it back in points once you connect it to OC's system, which you can cash out thru Paypal. To help OC justify the cost to give thermostats and smartplugs for free, they want to make sure your Smart Device is connected, so that you'll save more energy and they'll make more money to offset the cost of giving you the Smart Device for free.

Seems fair to me.

edited September 11

@Misti Patten It IS free. Not only do you get the other 50% back in points, you also get 2000 points for connecting your first WiFi thermostat. It's a very cool prize! I tried, but only got 1 referral. Congrats!

• I can confirm that you get the points INSTANTLY after connecting to OC - I took advantage of the free after points rebate last time for my smart plugs. Pretty standard protocol for electronic incentives.

• Lyle MLyle M Posts: 1Member

Has anyone actually received there email yet about how to redeem. I had heard that they were supposed to go out last week but I haven't received anything.

• ClaudiaClaudia San FranciscoPosts: 37Administrator

Hey Guys, sorry for the delay, the email is going out today.

• Heather R. WeatherHeather R. Weather Posts: 60Member
    edited September 11

Emails out!

• Elmer IndrawanElmer Indrawan Posts: 3Member

I didn't get mine yet. Have all been sent out or are they rolling out slowly throughout the day?