Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Has anyone else received a lot of points when they didn't actually do much to reduce?

BelleBelle Posts: 81Member

I was so angry on Thursday, August 24. I had gotten home before 5, but was so tired I left my bag in my room and lay down in the living room. My phone was still on vibrate from being in class. I finally got up to get it and saw the notification for the OH from 5-6. It was already 5:45, and the TV had been on in my roommate's room, lights were on, and everything was plugged in. I guess I can be grateful the AC wasn't running.
I just knew that I was going to lose my streak and was so disappointed. Well, I got the results on Saturday and it turns out we used just under 0.2 kWh. I'm not even sure how that's possible, but I even checked the PG&E

Answers

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 584Member, Moderator
    edited August 28

@Belle How different was it from your forecast? It sounds like you suspect it's wrong and with the TV, lights and everything plugged in perhaps it is wrong as 0.2kWh seems low for that load. A TV will typically use 80 to 400 watts, depending on size and technology so for 45 mins the TV alone would use somewhere between 0.06 and .30 kWhs.

You might find over the next few days that PG&E will update the numbers that they reported to OC

• BelleBelle Posts: 81Member

There was no change, PG&E's numbers remained the same. We hardly use any power at all, my usual forecast is below 1 kWh.

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 584Member, Moderator
    > @Belle said:
    > There was no change, PG&E's numbers remained the same. We hardly use any power at all, my usual forecast is below 1 kWh.

It sounds like you used less than your forecast so you kept your streak right? Is there any question remaining here?
  • IanEIanE Posts: 48Member

i don't really do anything ... the AC is automated and it's the primary consumer of power in my house.

• AKPsi VinceAKPsi Vince Union CityPosts: 944Moderator
    Getting a lot of points without doing anything? That's the power of using SmartPlugs & Thermostats and allowing OC to automagically turn them off for you! =)

Keep on saving on everyone!
  • WaterGuyWaterGuy Posts: 366Member, Moderator

@Belle said:
    I was so angry on Thursday, August 24. I had gotten home before 5, but was so tired I left my bag in my room and lay down in the living room. My phone was still on vibrate from being in class. I finally got up to get it and saw the notification for the OH from 5-6. It was already 5:45, and the TV had been on in my roommate's room, lights were on, and everything was plugged in. I guess I can be grateful the AC wasn't running.
    I just knew that I was going to lose my streak and was so disappointed. Well, I got the results on Saturday and it turns out we used just under 0.2 kWh. I'm not even sure how that's possible, but I even checked the PG&E

It sounds like your AC is probably the main driver of your forecast--it's very possible those other appliances just don't use very much power. You could test this fairly easily by replicating the situation (turn on the TV and lights, turn off AC, etc.) and go look at the power use reported in real-time on your smart meter's display. Then, multiply that by 0.75 hour and see how it compares to your 0.2 kWh usage.