Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Status dropped to silver?

Steve ReedSteve Reed Posts: 111Member
edited September 2017 in Welcome to OhmConnect

I'm not sure why my status dropped to silver. I usually use just 0.4kWh per Ohmhour (way below the forecast of 1.5-2.5kWh). None of my last 20 Ohmhours have had negative usages values.

I did not get the 9/11 ohmhour alert, so I should not be affected by that glitch.

Did they rule change again for how to calculate status?

Answers

• The Little Ohmer TwinsThe Little Ohmer Twins Union CityPosts: 1,014Moderator
    Don't think so. Please contact OC support directly.
  • WaterGuyWaterGuy Posts: 414Member, Moderator

@Steve Reed said:
    I'm not sure why my status dropped to silver. I usually use just 0.4kWh per Ohmhour (way below the forecast of 1.5-2.5kWh). None of my last 20 Ohmhours have had negative usages values.

I did not get the 9/11 ohmhour alert, so I should not be affected by that glitch.

Did they rule change again for how to calculate status?

I agree with Vince--even as a solar user, it looks to me like you should still be Platinum.

• Steve ReedSteve Reed Posts: 111Member

I started a support conversation on Friday. Hopefully I hear back from them next week.

After the last Ohmhour I'm at 51%, but still showing as silver.

@Steve Reed said:
    I started a support conversation on Friday. Hopefully I hear back from them next week.

After the last Ohmhour I'm at 51%, but still showing as silver.

Thanks--please keep us posted!

It turns out I have not had 20 Ohmhours in the last 180 days.

This is probably due to me reducing the window to after sunset, since I live near the coast and have solar. Production or any given hours during June and July is pretty random due to clouds coming and going through out the day.

There is not good solution for me in this area, since any cloudy day could reduce my production by several kWh, causing massive negative points, loss of streaks, and messing up my status, even though I personally reduced my consumption.

At least with the shorter days, I can widen the time for my Ohmhours to start at 6pm.

• John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamPosts: 585Member
    edited September 2017

@Steve Reed said:
    It turns out I have not had 20 Ohmhours in the last 180 days.

Is it written somewhere that the 20 OHs have to be within 180 days? I'm in the same situation as you and even after changing my window to 6-9, I'm not getting many OHs.

@curtistongue, is this 180 day limitation really necessary? We solar users are already saddled with meeting a high, arbitrary, avg OH savings of .8 kWh, and this makes it really tough to balance things out.

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,595Member, Moderator

I believe that's an old legacy requirement. There's no mention of it here:
    https://www.ohmconnect.com/status

I guess I understand why OhmConnect might have the 180-day requirement (though I had never heard of it)--they want to incentivize people to participate in most OhmHours, just like they want users to maximize their average reduction over time. I don't think it's crazy for them to have some sort of a limit to make sure people are staying active and not, say, taking a year-long break from OC and then picking up right where they left off. That said, though, it would make sense to me to relax this requirement for solar folks, especially if we're held to a different standard than other users in the average savings required to maintain Platinum status. We actually have the same aim as OhmConnect in this one: were we to participate on cloudy days, we might risking losing them money, too.

20 events in 180 days averages out to one OhmHour every nine days. I've averaged 5.2 days between OhmHours over my last 20 events (with filters set to accept events after 6 PM), so hopefully you'll get back on track pretty quickly with your recent change, @Steve Reed. For those who have participated in OhmConnect longer than I have: do the events tend to become less frequent during the cooler winter months?

@UkiwiS said:
    I believe that's an old legacy requirement.

I was told the 20 in 180 day requirement is why I lost my platinum status by support. It's checks out and I only have 18 now. There were several Ohmhours just over 180 days ago, and when they "expired" my status dropped. This will be an on going issue for me, but at least I still get the streak bonuses.

Unfortunately, even when I get my Tesla Powerwall batteries installed, I will not not likely be able to participate during the daytime. The Powerwalls are set up to zero out my grid usage, not boost it up to the output levels of my panels during a sunny day. Even if use the Powerwalls to offset all my home's usage, and I'm able to dump all my solar panel output to the grid, it will still look like I'm "using" several kWh more than predicted if the could come during the ohmhour.

@Steve Reed said:

@UkiwiS said:
    I believe that's an old legacy requirement.

I was told the 20 in 180 day requirement is why I lost my platinum status by support. It's checks out and I only have 18 now. There were several Ohmhours just over 180 days ago, and when they "expired" my status dropped. This will be an on going issue for me, but at least I still get the streak bonuses.

In my opinion, if the 180 day requirement remains then OC needs to update the "Status Level Page".
    https://www.ohmconnect.com/status

It's not right that the published "rules of engagement" are different to the actual rules. @Claudia, can you fill us in on what is happening here? The Status Level Benefits page has no mention of an 180 day requirement.

@Steve Reed
    FYI, I probably have similar availability settings as you and I've had 33 #OhmHours in the last 180 days. The difference must be due to our differing ZIP codes.

@UkiwiS said:
    FYI, I probably have similar availability settings as you and I've had 33 #OhmHours in the last 180 days. The difference must be due to our differing ZIP codes.

Yeah, I'm sure it varies a lot by area.

I've widened the time to 6pm to 9pm now, since the days are getting shorter that should help a little. After 9pm I don't use more then 0.6kwh typically, so I cannot get to the arbitrary 0.8kWh saving requires, not matter what I do.

• ClaudiaClaudia San FranciscoPosts: 95Administrator

Hey guys, yes, we do limit the #OhmHours included in the calculation to those that have occurred within 6 months as status is a benefit reserved for those who are participating broadly vs in a more limited window.

We don't include this in the FAQs because very few people are impacted and we want to keep the description simple for new users. we can add it in to a solar user FAQ since they are the ones most likely to be impacted.

edited September 2017

@Claudia said:
    Hey guys, yes, we do limit the #OhmHours included in the calculation to those that have occurred within 6 months as status is a benefit reserved for those who are participating broadly vs in a more limited window.

So, OC wants to encourage solar users to participate even when we will be dragging down OC's overall reduction number? As @WaterGuy posted, both parties lose when we go over our forecast.

• The Little Ohmer TwinsThe Little Ohmer Twins Union CityPosts: 1,014Moderator
    @John K & @WaterGuy I wonder if it's possible to even change the 180 day timeframe just for solar users. I get why they wouldn't want to do it for all users. Is there somewhere in your profile where you indicate you have solar? Otherwise, it would probably require more work than OC can afford to dedicate to sift thru data to find them.

But if it's easy to find solar users and extend the 180 day criteria just for them, then OC may be more likely to consider your proposal.

@AKPsi Vince said:
    @John K & @WaterGuy I wonder if it's possible to even change the 180 day timeframe just for solar users. I get why they wouldn't want to do it for all users. Is there somewhere in your profile where you indicate you have solar? Otherwise, it would probably require more work than OC can afford to dedicate to sift thru data to find them.

But if it's easy to find solar users and extend the 180 day criteria just for them, then OC may be more likely to consider your proposal.

It's based on our plan with the utility. They clearly know we're on solar, because they have different status requirements for us.

There have been 2 more ohm hours for me between 6-10pm since my status dropped, but I'm stuck at silver. it looks like with an average for only 3 Ohmhours a month, I will never again get to platinum status, unless I do Ohmhours during the daytime, which will pretty much guarantee loosing my 220% streak bonus.

I think in the end it probably does not matter for me, since I think I'm probably going to stop participating in OhmConnect once my Tesla Powerwalls are installed. I will be using essentially 0kwh during peak and offpeak hours (5am to midnight). I'll still recommend Ohmconnect to people, at least those without solar, but there is not much I can do at that point.

@Steve Reed said:
    There have been 2 more ohm hours for me between 6-10pm since my status dropped, but I'm stuck at silver. it looks like with an average for only 3 Ohmhours a month, I will never again get to platinum status, unless I do Ohmhours during the daytime, which will pretty much guarantee loosing my 220% streak bonus.

I think in the end it probably does not matter for me, since I think I'm probably going to stop participating in OhmConnect once my Tesla Powerwalls are installed. I will be using essentially 0kwh during peak and offpeak hours (5am to midnight). I'll still recommend Ohmconnect to people, at least those without solar, but there is not much I can do at that point.

Steve, have you considered just starting your filters an hour earlier?

@WaterGuy said:

For those solar users who are still significantly over-producing during the 5-6 hour, this would be a big risk for a cloudy event. We'd lose our streak.

@WaterGuy said:

@Steve Reed said:

There is still some production even at 6pm still, but it's small enough I can still most likely reduce a little even when it's cloudy.

From 5-6pm it's random whether there are clouds or not, so my "usage" ranges from -1.0kwh to 0kwh, even it I have every single things in the house turned off.

@John K

Is there any demand that you can push to that time of the day? Such as dishwasher or washer dryer? Perhaps it's time to get an EV? Also, the self cleaning feature of a modern oven will use a few kWhs and bump your forecast to a more "viable" number :)

@UkiwiS said:
    @John K

Is there any demand that you can push to that time of the day? Such as dishwasher or washer dryer? Perhaps it's time to get an EV? Also, the self cleaning feature of a modern oven will use a few kWhs and bump your forecast to a more "viable" number :)

I appreciate the suggestions, but the bottom line is that all my demand is already spread over the 3-hr window from 6-9. The EV has been charging for over 4 years, but, on a daily basis, I hardly ever drive the 40 miles necessary to deplete the battery, so it tops off in 2hrs or less. If I reduce the charge rate to spread the charging over a longer period, I start having problems with the arbitrary 2 kWh avg assigned to solar users (for status calculations). With platinum status, I need to avg a .8 kWh reduction and that becomes problematic if I spread the demand over too many hours and my forecast drops.

And my self-cleaning oven is gas. Besides, I probably only use the oven once a month and clean it every few years ;-)

@Steve Reed I don't know what your streak is at and how much you make during a typical event, but I suspect that at some point accepting an occasionally-broken streak would be worth gaining the status bonus and being able to participate in more events. My sister lives about a block away from me and doesn't have solar panels, and it seems like she gets about twice as many (or more) events than me, including lots of two-hour events. That's a lot of potential points I'm missing out on, most of which wouldn't affect my streak (and would actually help grow it more quickly!). I don't have any data on this, but I suspect that OhmHours are correlated with sunny, hot days, which are generally associated with clear skies.

Also, could you use the weather forecast strategically to reduce (even if not fully eliminate) the risk of a broken streak?

edited October 2017

@WaterGuy said:
    @Steve Reed I don't know what your streak is at and how much you make during a typical event, but I suspect that at some point accepting an occasionally-broken streak would be worth gaining the status bonus and being able to participate in more events. My sister lives about a block away from me and doesn't have solar panels, and it seems like she gets about twice as many (or more) events than me, including lots of two-hour events. That's a lot of potential points I'm missing out on, most of which wouldn't affect my streak (and would actually help grow it more quickly!). I don't have any data on this, but I suspect that OhmHours are correlated with sunny, hot days, which are generally associated with clear skies.

Also, could you use the weather forecast strategically to reduce (even if not fully eliminate) the risk of a broken streak?

IMO you want to protect the streak at all cost. The difference between Gold and Platinum is insignificant but maintaining at least gold and your streak should be the target.

@John K Can you move your 3 hour window earlier, say to 5-8? Here's the distribution of #OhmHours I've experienced since I started tracking. As the days shorten the distribution is changing and they're trending earlier.

In a total of 50 I've seen a single 9-10 OhmHour but 4 in the 5-6 slot...keep in mind that I only recently adjusted my availability to include 5-6 pm

@UkiwiS said:

IMO you want to protect the streak at all cost. The difference between Gold and Platinum is insignificant but maintaining at least gold and your streak should be the target.

@UkiwiS, I think Steve is stuck at Silver, and the issue is that he can't access Gold or Platinum without getting more regular events. I think it'd be interesting to calculate whether it actually makes sense, in his position, to accept a small amount of risk by changing his filters to 5 PM. It isn't obvious to me that the expected points earned by maintaining his streak would outweigh the points earned through a status bonus applied to more events (and a faster increase in streak bonus). Streak bonuses aren't worth much if you don't have many OhmHours to multiply them by...

edited October 2017

@WaterGuy Yes, understood.

Here's my logic. Silver = a multiplier of 0, Gold = .5 and platinum = 1. A streak bonus of 100% is a multiplier of 1, 200% is a multiplier of 2 and so on and that's why I think you want to keep it at all costs. It's worth a lot more than gold or platinum IMO.

In order to get more regular events he needs to be available earlier but doing so risks his streak. If he can move his 3 hours slot earlier he'll have a higher forecast at those earlier times and a higher probability of participating. Perhaps he should consider charging the car at 4 pm once every couple of weeks to raise the forecast.

@UkiwiS said:
    @John K Can you move your 3 hour window earlier, say to 5-8? Here's the distribution of #OhmHours I've experienced since I started tracking. As the days shorten the distribution is changing and they're trending earlier.

In a total of 50 I've seen a single 9-10 OhmHour but 4 in the 5-6 slot...keep in mind that I only recently adjusted my availability to include 5-6 pm

@UkiwiS, thanks. Your point is well taken -- instead of widening the time frame, just move it. I think that might just work. As a point of clarification, can you tell from your history whether a window of 5-8 includes OHs STARTING at 8, or only only OHs Ending by 8?

edited October 2017

@John K ending at 8, so it would include #OhmHours at 5-6, 6-7 and 7-8. I just received notice of another one tomorrow and so the numbers have changed again. 5-8 would have captures 8 of the last 10 and 37 of the last 52 ...71%. Of course your mileage will vary.

I currently have a streak of 45, so it's more valuable than the platinum status. I have actually bumped back to platinum after the last event, but will drop back again in a few days as the oldest Ohmhours expire.

Besides loosing my streak, the risk of moving the Ohmhour windows is I can get high penalties. At 5pm during the summer, I could go from generating 2kwh, to generating 0 or even using a little on a cloudy day. That is a potential 2kWh "overusage" penalty, which can cost a lot of points.

There is also not much I would want to shift to 5pm to raise my average consumption, since that is during peak rates, and electricity is 0.49 per kWh. I want to be using as little as possible during that time, so as much solar as possible goes to net metering credits.

@Steve Reed said:

There is also not much I would want to shift to 5pm to raise my average consumption, since that is during peak rates, and electricity is 0.49 per kWh. I want to be using as little as possible during that time, so as much solar as possible goes to net metering credits.

It's going to get worse when they change the TOU PEAK period from 11-6 to NOON to 9. I'm not sure when SDG&E are planning for that but they got approval. I think it's 2019.