Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

The level you are giving me seems impossible to meet!

The level you are giving me seems impossible to meet! .2-.25kwH!! For those tht already miser the wattages seems impossible without shuting off the entire panel! How do we get a reasonable and fair target. I have lost ALL MY POINTS NOW since my targets are all under .75kwh!
I will try one more then its just not worth the hassle for absolutely NOTHING...

Best Answer

Answers

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,421Member, Moderator

@ride1gear2-yahoo said:
    The level you are giving me seems impossible to meet! .2-.25kwH!! For those tht already miser the wattages seems impossible without shuting off the entire panel! How do we get a reasonable and fair target. I have lost ALL MY POINTS NOW since my targets are all under .75kwh!
    I will try one more then its just not worth the hassle for absolutely NOTHING...

You do realize that your forecasts are based on YOUR usage right?
    http://faq.ohmconnect.com/participating-in-ohmhours/what-is-my-forecast-and-how-do-you-calculate-it

If you are a "miser" there are really only a couple of things you can do.
    1. Flip the breaker at the panel, or
    2. Automate devices using tp-link type devices that are controlled during an OHMHour

Another option, is to move usage to the key evening hours so that you would typically use more during these times....say 4-8 pm. For example, use the washer, the dryer, use the oven, the dishwasher, AC, charge the EV...etc etc...do what you can between 4-8 when most OhmHours occur. Of course this will probably cost you more in electricity BUT because your forecast is based on your usage, you will have a larger target to meet for the next PhmHour. Then when there's an OHMHour you will save a LOT more relatively speaking and you'll get paid more for it. :wink:

• WaterGuyWaterGuy Posts: 414Member, Moderator

@ride1gear2-yahoo said:

If your usage is already very low, then you really aren't the ideal user for this program. You can still participate and earn marginally or shift your usage as @UkiwiS described (this is what I do), but the reality is that folks who use a lot of energy normally will be able to earn more. As a very low energy user, you already see a financial advantage in your power bill. :)

• Kate from OhmConnectKate from OhmConnect Posts: 1,049Administrator

@Steeltrap said:
    As noted, since your forecast is based on an average of your actual usage, under normal circumstances you should always be able to beat your forecast. Since OhmConnect is setup to give a lot of bonuses in the form of streaks, status levels and the new upcoming buddy program, even users with low usage that play the game should be able to get large earnings over time.

HI all: The last was a message from our most senior Engineer.

• SD ChipSD Chip Posts: 126Member

Pray tell....what is this buddy program you speak of?? :*

• sfomelissasfomelissa Posts: 1Member

Is there any point in using smart plugs, etc. when we are currently flipping the main for every OhmHour session? Our forecasts average 1500 kWh and of course by flipping the main we achieve 0 kWh, hence I'm unclear on what extra advantage would be derived by smart plugs, etc. In advance, any enlightenment on the subject is appreciated!

@sfomelissa said:
    Is there any point in using smart plugs, etc. when we are currently flipping the main for every OhmHour session? Our forecasts average 1500 kWh and of course by flipping the main we achieve 0 kWh, hence I'm unclear on what extra advantage would be derived by smart plugs, etc. In advance, any enlightenment on the subject is appreciated!

It's all about automation! You need to physically be home to flip the breaker, right? If you cannot be there when there's an OhmHour, the plugs can be turned off and on automatically, therefore saving you some juice. A big energy hog is the fridge! The argument for a Wifi thermostat is similar and will save even more....my AC unit draws 4000W so if it's running for an hour, that's 4 kWh.

You get 10 tokens each time a device is shutoff too. I have 10 of them so the tokens add up quick making a Baseline Boost card or Streak Shield available more quickly.

• unouwantoneunouwantone Posts: 1Member

So if i understand this site is that they want u to only save during the projected times. I know that they will disagree. But i have been trying to lower my bill and do the projected goals as well. I have sunk myself due to saving too much energy during teh day. I got this warning for tonight... "Warning, looks like you have been using less energy lately, so your forecast is lower than usual. Good time to shut off the circuit breaker!" I have medical issues i cant just shut the breakers off.

• Erik DrewErik Drew Posts: 1Member

I too was using little power. But when summer came I started using my A/C and my usage went up and my rewards went up. Also, I started streaking and my rewards went up even higher. Using my Nest thermostat also helped since forgetting to turn off the A/C didn't matter, Ohmconnect automatically turned it off for me, seriously increasing my rewards. I now have $180 and a buttload of point and tokens.

• Lynwho375Lynwho375 Posts: 1Member

I always make my oh, what bums me out is I do not qualify for the Mega oh because my mega oh (whether 1 or 2 hours) is always 0 kWh. I do feel it is a punishment, yes I do earn points, but I never get a chance to win the prizes. I know flip the breaker is the answer, but that is the one thing my husband won’t do. I really wish I could get at least 0.3 kWh during Mega hours to at least have a fighting chance at a prize.

@Lynwho375 said:
    I always make my oh, what bums me out is I do not qualify for the Mega oh because my mega oh (whether 1 or 2 hours) is always 0 kWh. I do feel it is a punishment, yes I do earn points, but I never get a chance to win the prizes. I know flip the breaker is the answer, but that is the one thing my husband won’t do. I really wish I could get at least 0.3 kWh during Mega hours to at least have a fighting chance at a prize.

Megas are complicated and can't be relied on. You may not get one, the target might be too hard to attain, or the points might score too late for qualification in the weekly draw but if you work on your referrals and get them to silver you'll get into the draw. You have to be in it to win it!

My last Mega was 8/31 but I still qualified for the draw on 9/16 because I got a referral during the week. It's hard work but sometimes it pays off. That referral earned me $20, and then on Sunday it earned me another $500, when I was one of the lucky 10 that were drawn. :)

• jserramcjserramc Posts: 200Member

@UkiwiS congrats on your win, finally someone actually in the loop won!

• chastev67chastev67 Posts: 1Member

It is ridiculous. We do not have air conditioning. We do not leave any appliances on except for the refrigerator. We even unplug our television. We are NOT home during many Ohm Hours, and yet we supposedly are over target. Complete B.S.

edited September 23
    > @chastev67 said:
    > It is ridiculous. We do not have air conditioning. We do not leave any appliances on except for the refrigerator. We even unplug our television. We are NOT home during many Ohm Hours, and yet we supposedly are over target. Complete B.S.

OhmConnect gets the data from your utility. Have you confirmed the numbers are accurate?

By that I mean does your reported usage on OhmConnect match that reported by your utulity?
  • bianca-ebay3bianca-ebay3 Posts: 1Member
    > @chastev67 said:
    > It is ridiculous. We do not have air conditioning. We do not leave any appliances on except for the refrigerator. We even unplug our television. We are NOT home during many Ohm Hours, and yet we supposedly are over target. Complete B.S.

That’s happened to me before- not home, nothing on, but went over. I use such a small amount of energy, I don’t know how to make it go lower when all I have running is the refrigerator lol! Today I needed to use less than 0.046 kWh to qualify. I would have to unplug the fridge & let my food spoil lol. I don’t know, but it seems like you have to really use a lot of energy to even have a chance to save. Oh well. Maybe I got lucky today 😜
  • jserramcjserramc Posts: 200Member

@bianca-ebay3 --if you turn off your fridge and keep the door closed the food will not spoil in an hour or even two hours. I forgot and left it off for 6 hours and no problem (although I don't recommend this, it was just a problem of forgetting to plug it back in). Only works best if you keep doors closed. If you have ice packs in freezer and unplug, to give yourself a better security blanket you could move a few ice packs to fridge during off time. Also, the fuller your space, even with empty containers, the longer stuff stays cold.

• dave-pdave-p Posts: 1Member

I have turned off everything but my refrigerator and freezer for every Ohm Hour, and my energy use has been consistently negligible. The OH folks ended my streak when they gave me a forecast of -0.666 kWh. I'm done sitting in the dark and cold -- it ain't worth it.