IanEIanE Posts: 85Member

how do i join a buddy?

Best Answer

Answers

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,339Member, Moderator

@IanE said:
    how do i join a buddy?

Eligibility is listed here:
    http://faq.ohmconnect.com/participating-in-ohmhours/what-is-the-ohmconnect-buddy-program

Are you a member of a team already? If so, you should probably leave it.

• SFPowerSaverSFPowerSaver SFPosts: 26Member
    edited December 2017

Interesting program. How do you add someone as a buddy? I'm not on a team.

ps if anyone in the San Francisco area wants to be buddies, drop me a PM. I use automation to automatically participate in OH's and have always maintained a perfect streak as a result and save ~90% during every OH.

• IanEIanE Posts: 85Member

@>; @SFPowerSaver said:

Interesting program. How do you add someone as a buddy?

ps if anyone in the San Francisco area wants to be buddies, drop me a PM. I use automation to automatically participate in OH's and have always maintained a perfect streak as a result and save ~90% during every OH.

i don't save 90% but i was a an 80% average over the summer and i'm in san jose

• SFPowerSaverSFPowerSaver SFPosts: 26Member

@IanE said:
    @>; @SFPowerSaver said:

Interesting program. How do you add someone as a buddy?

i don't save 90% but i was a an 80% average over the summer and i'm in san jose

Happy to be your buddy if we can figure out how..

• CKWMCKWM Fremont, CAPosts: 190Member
    So the example is from the perspective of the lower percentage earner:

For example, if you save 30% and your buddy saves 40%, you will get 35 points.

What incentive does the higher earner receive?
    edited December 2017

@charliemiu said:
    So the example is from the perspective of the lower percentage earner:

For example, if you save 30% and your buddy saves 40%, you will get 35 points.

What incentive does the higher earner receive?

Both participants get the same points and it's supposedly capped at 100 points.....BUT...

• CKWMCKWM Fremont, CAPosts: 190Member
    > @UkiwiS said:
    Both participants get the same points and it's supposedly capped at 100 points.....BUT...

How much are you each saving - percentage-wise?

@charliemiu said:
    > @UkiwiS said:

How much are you each saving - percentage-wise?

To be honest I'm not sure. I've attempted to talk to my Buddy but I never get a response. It makes me sad!

Also, I have Solar and we are treated a little differently when it comes to percentage savings as potentially we can have a negative number if we participate during daylight hours.

• BenBen Posts: 33Administrator

Hi @UkiwiS, @IanE, @SFPowerSaver, @charliemiu - couple of quick notes on Buddy (besides that it's a great way to earn some extra points and tokens!):
    1. You can be in a team and in Buddy at the same time - no need to leave your team
    2. If you'd like to join Buddy, click here to join the program. You'll be able to invite other people in your area to be your Buddy. You can also request to be paired with a user who lives in your area!

It's a great way for users with low household usage to earn some more money by saving.

• BenBen Posts: 33Administrator

Oh and @UkiwiS, @IanE, @SFPowerSaver, @charliemiu - quick insider tip: We're going to be releasing a new feature soon that sends you an email when you have an unread message in your activity stream. Shhh... don't tell anyone :smile:

• DarrenTDarrenT Posts: 41Member
    edited December 2017

If only one buddy participates in an ohmhour or beats their forecast, does it negatively impact the person that still saved in any way other than missing out on the buddy bonus? In other words, lets say I beat my forecast but my buddy opts out or fails to beat theirs, is my streak still intact or does it count as an overage for BOTH parties?

Just trying to understand the possible implications before I trust a "buddy" with my streak / status level.

• AKPsi VinceAKPsi Vince Union CityPosts: 996Moderator
    @DarrenT I’m pretty sure your buddy’s low performance will not negatively impact your streak and the points associated with it. It just means you won’t receive “Buddy Bonus Points”.

I’m sad that my Buddy doesn’t talk to me either. At least there’s a self serve feature to leave your buddy and have OC find me a new one. I’m just waiting for OC’s System to notify me (by email?) when it’s found me another buddy. I guess i’ll Check the website in case it found one, but just didn’t tell me.

@Ben at OhmConnect How does OC define a “user’s [local] area? And how does a user confirm whether or not another user is in his/her area?
  • GregoryGregory Posts: 22Member
    My selected buddies are not getting the invite emails.
  • WaterGuyWaterGuy Posts: 414Member, Moderator

@Gregory said:
    My selected buddies are not getting the invite emails.

Same here. I sent one to my sister, who lives a few blocks away from me, using the email address I know is associated with her account. She said she didn't receive any notification.

me either....

• GregoryGregory Posts: 22Member

Well I also clicked the assign me a buddy button and it gave me one after a few days. I was hoping for the person I chose, but I'll deal with it for now!

• SD ChipSD Chip Posts: 122Member

@Gregory ....Hey buddy!

• No Pain No GainNo Pain No Gain 93035Posts: 358Member
    edited December 2017

Not quite sure how this works, but I make the most of my OhmHours and hope we both get close to the max of points and tokens. Looking forward to the next OH.

edited December 2017

@Gregory Maybe it depends who's available in your area. I clicked on the button to be assigned a buddy and was really pleased it happened right after clicking the button. No wait.

edited December 2017

@UkiwiS said: Also, I have Solar and we are treated a little differently when it comes to percentage savings as potentially we can have a negative number if we participate during daylight hours.

@UkiwiS My Buddy has solar and I don't. Things seem to be hung up in the processing stage because my buddy used 0% during their OH. Have you had "Pending" OhmHours because of your 0 or negative solar numbers? The one OH we got points for was one where my buddy had a % saved greater than 0.

@No Pain No Gain
    I don't have 0 or negative numbers because I limit my participation to the evening hours when there is no solar production. I do have delays but they are unrelated to me being solar.
    edited December 2017

Maybe I don't understand what OC is using to get the average of our "% reduction". Using the numbers on our dashboard for a 12/8 OH, OC has % reduction for Buddy 97% and for me 65%. We both got 49 points for the average % reduction. If the average of 97 and 68 is 82, where did OC get 49? I calculated my % reduction like this: forecast - actual = 0.774 then 0.774 / Forecast = 0.68
    Am I doing it wrong? :neutral:

edited December 2017

@No Pain No Gain said:
    Maybe I don't understand what OC is using to get the average of our "% reduction". Using the numbers on our dashboard for a 12/8 OH, OC has % reduction for Buddy 97% and for me 65%. We both got 49 points for the average % reduction. If the average of 97 and 68 is 82, where did OC get 49? I calculated my % reduction like this: forecast - actual = 0.774 then 0.774 / Forecast = 0.68
    Am I doing it wrong? :neutral:

You are not doing it wrong, but do you know what percentage your buddy saved for that specific event? If they "personally" saved 97% then something is messed up. If the dashboard shows "You both averaged 97% - awesome" then I can explain that. If you hover over the buddy performance bubble and see something like this picture ...it just means your buddy saved more than 100%, and that is possible with them being Solar.

If the unknown you're trying to calculate is your buddy's percentage saved then they actually saved (97 X 2) - 68 = 126

For Solar peeps the % saved is calculated differently since we potentially can have zero and negative numbers if we participate during the day. No matter what our forecast is I believe our percentages are calculated based on 2 being the denominator....I'll try and explain it.

Here's my dashboard:

So over the last 20, I've saved 126.86-13.38 = 113.48 kWh. For the purposes of calculating the percentage saved (for status ) they use 2 kWh per event so for 20 OhmHours I need to save 40 kWh. The percentage is thus calculated as 113.48/40*100 = 283.7 and this matches the dashboard.

Perhaps @Ben at OhmConnect can comment.?

• DarrenTDarrenT Posts: 41Member

So has the inviting a buddy thing worked for anyone? I've invited a family member that lives relatively close and through 28 OhmHours they've always been the same, yet he hasn't gotten any of my buddy invites.

@UkiwiS Check your activity feed. That's a bit complicated since I'm not "solar savvy". Thanks!

nope i've only be able to have a buddy assigned...

On the Buddy page, we seem to be stuck with these first 3 OhmHours. My Buddy had one yesterday that hasn't shown up, and there were others during the month of December. Since this is so new, I'm not sure whether it's worth contacting Support, or just be patient. It looks like there's more room in the "Performance" box for more OhmHours. Anybody have more than 3 showing?

@No Pain No Gain

I have a total of 6 showing, all since 12/1.
  • SaveTheWorldSaveTheWorld Posts: 39Member, Moderator

@UkiwiS I have a total of 7 but only the one on 1 Dec has awarded points. For the rest there has been no updates.

@SaveTheWorld said:
    @UkiwiS I have a total of 7 but only the one on 1 Dec has awarded points. For the rest there has been no updates.

Mine have all scored but some of them took a while even when I had points for the #OhmHour. I guess at those times the points for my buddy were still outstanding which probably means that we can expect them to take longer than usual since scoring them requires the utility data for 2 customers to be available.

I'd suggest that you contact [email protected] as that seems to be taking too long.