Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Buddy program

Answers

• No Pain No GainNo Pain No Gain 93035Posts: 404Member
    edited February 2018

@UkiwiS - I was probably overthinking it since it sounded like something extra that was being rolled out. My Buddy and I have had the same OhmHours since "Buddying Up" in December. I just thought it was that way for everyone and from that perspective, it didn't make sense. Out of curiosity, if you send your Buddy a message, who never communicates, do you still get the 5 tokens per message?

@Steve E Do you and your Buddy communicate? It looks like you got points for saving 74% on that OH, but didn't get 100 tokens because both of you saved.
    If you don't communicate, one way to tell if your Buddy had an OH would be if your actual %saved is more or less than 74%. (Unless you both saved the same amount.) In that case, you should also have been awarded 100 tokens.

• Steve ESteve E Posts: 329Member, Moderator

@No Pain No Gain said:
    @UkiwiS - I was probably overthinking it since it sounded like something extra that was being rolled out.

@Steve E Do you and your Buddy communicate? It looks like you got points for saving 74% on that OH, but didn't get 100 tokens because both of you saved.
    If you don't communicate, one way to tell if your Buddy had an OH would be because your actual %saved is more or less than 74%. (Unless you both saved the same amount.) In that case, you should also have been awarded 100 tokens.

I send messages but rarely get a response. I sent another one this morning asking if they get notifications (which is touted as a new feature).

The OhmHour that shows 74 points awarded for never showed as shared on the buddy page before today

@Steve E In December when I joined the Buddy program, his OHs and mine were both in the Performance box, so I knew when he had them but I didn't and vice versa. Almost immediately, our OHs synced and we've had the same OHs since then.

The new feature of getting an email notification isn't working for us yet and we message regularly. I checked the settings to see if maybe they added one for this feature, but it's not there. I have all notifications set to "On". I don't get any email notifications for forum posts, so I have to check here to see if anyone has added a comment. I sent you a message that can be seen if you click on your name in the top right corner. Did you get an email notification for that? Most people don't look at their profile page, so that is something that would improve communication between members.

@No Pain No Gain I seem to get some notifications and not others. It seems as if something may have gone awry with my notifications a while ago.

• BenBen Posts: 33Administrator

Hey @No Pain No Gain , @Steve E , @UkiwiS - we released a change last week to make any #OhmHour that you and your buddy have on the same day count as common. We didn't retroactively provide points, but you will be getting points for all #OhmHours on the same day going forward!

• SD ChipSD Chip Posts: 146Member

@Ben at OhmConnect , Thanks for working out the kinks. Me and my buddy were finally awarded points and tokens for past OH's . We do message each other (5 tokens at a time) and compare notes on what our forecasts and saving are. I like this new feature!

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,600Member, Moderator

My Buddy doesn't talk to me and it's a lonely existence so I decided to drop her. It needs to be a reciprocated arrangement and I felt like I was doing all the work. It was a painless process and I requested a new one BUT I got the exact same buddy back...what's with that?

I dropped her again and I'm now awaiting to be assigned a new one.

• The Little Ohmer TwinsThe Little Ohmer Twins Union CityPosts: 1,014Moderator
    @Ben at OhmConnect is this new upgrade to the Buddy feature going to be updated in the FAQs? And because you get buddy rewards for participating in OhmHours on the same day (no longer required to participate in the same OH to get the rewards), does that mean you get to buddy up with whomever you want, even if they’re outside your area / SLAP? It would seem like it, but it probably means you won’t have as many (if any) buddy OHs. It would help to address these 2 items in the FAQs.
  • Kate from OhmConnectKate from OhmConnect Posts: 1,049Administrator

@Steve E did you recently switch buddies?

@Kate from OhmConnect said:
    @Steve E did you recently switch buddies?

Sort of... I was in a state of buddyless limbo for a while

@Steve E I think this is likely the reason you're not seeing buddy hours

We were both getting OhmHours but they didn't seem to be at the same time.

@Steve E let me look into this for you.

• BenBen Posts: 33Administrator

Hey @Steve E, thanks for writing to @Kate from OhmConnect. When I dug in, it looks like you and Priya had a common #OhmHour on 1/23. You were given 74 points for that, awarded on 2/9 (which is late, you should get them within 24 hours). The message said "During your last #OhmHour," which is confusing. I'll take an action here to clean up the language - it should say your last common #OhmHour. You then had another Buddy #OhmHour on Feb 9, which you got points for on Feb 12.

@AKPsi Vince, yes, the FAQs are updated. You do still need to live near your Buddy, but the exact time restriction has been relaxed.

• jeffy102jeffy102 Posts: 8Member

Sorry if this was covered already, but if my buddy doesn't make their forecast and I still do am I negatively affected? (lose points, lose streak, etc...)

@jeffy102 said:
    Sorry if this was covered already, but if my buddy doesn't make their forecast and I still do am I negatively affected? (lose points, lose streak, etc...)

No it doesn't affect your own personal account (your streak etc...) it is only reflected in the buddy "bonuses"

• fabwashhfabwashh Posts: 5Member

I have no interest in regularly communicating with anyone I don't know, nor having the feeling that I have a responsibility for doing actions for someone that I don't know in order to get more points, so i'll be one of those "non-responsive" buddies. Can I just opt-out of the buddy program? I'm fine with the current program as it is.

• John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamPosts: 585Member
    edited February 2018

@fabwashh, did you originally ask to have a buddy assigned and then decided it wasn't for you? I ask because, as I understand it, you should not be in the program unless you requested it. BTW, I feel somewhat like yourself -- my limited window (hours) of acceptance would make me a lousy partner for someone wanting to participate in all OHs.

@fabwashh said:
    I have no interest in regularly communicating with anyone I don't know, nor having the feeling that I have a responsibility for doing actions for someone that I don't know in order to get more points, so i'll be one of those "non-responsive" buddies. Can I just opt-out of the buddy program? I'm fine with the current program as it is.

There is an option to "Leave Your Buddy" in the section where the "buddies" are listed at the top left of the "Buddy" page.

As I understand it you will only be reassigned a buddy once you request it, so leaving your buddy should essentially unenroll you

• KolchakKolchak FresnoPosts: 41Member

I've been here for about 5 weeks and I also thought the buddy system was something optional, but I just received an email about 30 minutes ago saying that starting next week I'll be automatically matched with a buddy. So we don't have the option to go solo now? Curious.

@Kolchak

The buddy program is additional and will give you more points and more tokens. Search the FAQ for more info on the program.
  • KolchakKolchak FresnoPosts: 41Member

@UkiwiS I had read up on the Buddy system but was confused by today's email that said "starting next week I'll be automatically matched with a buddy." Even though I didn't request one.

@Kolchak said:
    @UkiwiS I had read up on the Buddy system but was confused by today's email that said "starting next week I'll be automatically matched with a buddy." Even though I didn't request one.

You have every right to be confused. This contradicts everything they've said previously. It's as if they just can't believe we've made a conscious decision NOT to join this new ill-conceived program.

edited February 2018

@John K What is there in the Buddy program that is ill-conceived? Maybe my Buddy match-up is exceptional and others aren't having the same experience.

Since December we've had 10 OhmHours processed. The average is 65 points/OhmHour - PLUS - 100 tokens/OhmHour. That's an extra 647 points and 1000 tokens. We also get 5 tokens for each message we send on the Buddy activity feed. That adds up fast.

I'm not mad. :wink:

edited February 2018

@No Pain No Gain

That's how I look at it too...1745 additional points....and more tokens, making those Streak Shields and Baseline boosts more attainable. #FREEMONEY

@UkiwiS Thanks for sharing your stats. Our first Buddy point reward was only 49 points, but our last 3 were 75, 76 and 83. We're working on saving more which has also increased our individual OhmHour points.

Buddy tokens helped me buy my Streak Shield last week and I'm almost half way to a Baseline Boost. Buddy program has almost doubled the number of tokens I get each OhmHour, not to mention the chat tokens. I can't find anything wrong with this program.

edited February 2018

@UkiwiS said:

@No Pain No Gain

That's how I look at it too...1745 additional points....and more tokens, making those Streak Shields and Baseline boosts more attainable. #FREEMONEY

Help me out here. I'm obviously not understanding something. The FAQs say:
    "When you and your buddy both reduce energy below your forecast during an #OhmHour that happens on the same day, you will both be awarded an additional:

• 100 tokens
    • 0 --> 100 points, based on your combined average reduction. For example, if you save 30% and your buddy saves 40%, you will get 35 points."

Yet your stats show that you picked up as many as 243 points for a single event. How did you manage that?

As far as "free money", where does the free money enter the system. Surely you don't believe OC earned any more money from CAISO as a result of either of you participating in the buddy program. So if the payment pot hasn't changed and OC is still paying out the same percentage (80%), the buddy payments have to be offset by reductions under the other portion of the program. If I'm right, then your payments have shifted from one column to another as basepoints/kWh-saved are reduced. AND, since the payments to low baseline users under the buddy program can't be offset by their minimal basepoint reductions, that too comes from your column. You're too smart to believe there is really "free" money.

@John K The amounts > 100 were the result of bugs that have now been resolved. I have Solar and due to the way they calculated savings I had savings that were > 100%. For the longest time I had a number close to two hundred and fifty percent showing on the status tile. The numbers you see above that are > 100 are the result of an average saving (for the two of us) where one of the numbers was distorted. OC clearly saw that was a problem and have now fixed it AND at the same time they fixed the status tile for Solar. So...there will be no more events > 100.

As for "Free" money I don't know where it comes from and whether it reduces the pool elsewhere. I do know that I earn more by participating than I do not. It's also easy and painless and there's nothing extra I need to to do.

I've been through a couple of buddies and they never communicate with me, even though I personally know my current one. I think it's due to the communication and alerts and so forth....if you are new to OC it takes a while for anything to make sense and you need to know where to look to realize someone is trying to communicate with you.

I think the principle of it is to engage the users and try and get them more involved. If that happens we'll encourage each other and pass tips and together save more.

edited February 2018

@UkiwiS I have already seen benefits of the Buddy program beyond the extra points and tokens.

My Buddy is very communicative, supportive, and into saving energy, so when we get a notification we're going to have an OhmHour the next day, he tells me what he's doing during that hour the day before and I try to do the same.

Chores that I would've left for another time, I cram into that hour - dishwasher, laundry, vacuum, baking, etc. That makes my forecast higher and.... voila! .... I save more (gives us a higher % saved & more Buddy points), but best of all, my personal points have gone up between 100-400 points/OhmHour.

I was stuck in the 300 point range, which I was okay with, but my last OhmHour earned 904 points.
    Add on the 95 Buddy points and it was a penny short of 1000. That's a record payout for me.

I had to work for it by doing all my chores in one hour, but it paid off AND my chores were all finished so I had free time. I'm calling that a Win.

And THAT is what having a Buddy does for me. :smiley:

Edit: I agree that communication would be better between Buddies if they were notified they have a message on the activity feed on the Buddy page. I'm in the habit of checking since we communicate really well, but some sort of indicator like I get for incoming emails would be helpful.

This discussion has been closed.