Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Impossible Goals??

2»

Comments

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,607Member, Moderator

@Juiced @cwohmcon

Can you change your setting so as to not use the Powerwall between 6 and 8 pm? If that's an option, change your availability to that time as well and you'll still get 60% or more of the OhmHours. If you are consuming for that period every day then you will have a forecast. When there is an OhmHour, you'll need to switch it over so you are using stored battery power.

Can a powerwall be discharged to the grid?

• cwiedcwied San MateoPosts: 137Member

The powerwall cannot be discharged to the grid currently. Even if the firmware supported it, I believe my interconnect agreement with PG&E prohibits that as it's identified as a "non-NEM eligible energy storage device." I think that having the powerwall offset the house load while exporting solar power would be allowed, though (at least I hope that is the case).

Unless things change, my plan this summer is to self-consume until 7 pm and then use the grid after that. My OhmHour schedule will allow OhmHours after 7pm. If there's an OhmHour, I switch back to self-consumption for that period. On other days, I just use the grid. I've used this strategy on my last two OhmHours.

• craigdow1gcraigdow1g No CalPosts: 2Member

I could probably switch the powerwall to standby at certain hours, but that would cause me to draw from the grid at peak hours. Currently, my solar charges my powerwall to "full" during partial peak time. Once full, it sells back during peak time (and $$) while also supplying my house. When the sun goes down it draws from the powerwall right through peak time, so normally I have zero peak draw from the grid. I'm not sure it can get better than this until summer when the peak sell back lasts longer and the partial peak charge up of the battery occurs faster.

For the Ohmhour program, all my energy savings happens behind the gateway and is masked by the battery supplying the house and the meter staying neutral. In fact, as the summer gets closer, my "negative" forecast will get even more negative as I sell back later into the evening.

Thanks for the input, but I'm not sure this program will work for me. I'm still open to ideas and doing what I can. :smile:

• Kimberly McDermottKimberly McDermott Posts: 82Member
    Yes for me personally my big energy forcasts come during the summer wheb I use my ac sometimes my forcasts are 1.76kwh and when I turn everything off I can come in about .21 so it produces a nice payday with my streaks
  • cwiedcwied San MateoPosts: 137Member

For me on the PG&E E6 rate, the difference between peak and off-peak rates is small enough (only about 9%) that the potential gains from OhmHours are greater than the amount I would save from self-consumption. In the summer, I'll be in partial-peak after 7pm, so I don't think it'll make much financial sense to self-consume then, so I'll probably just use the grid except for during OhmHours.

• emek-tuzunemek-tuzun Posts: 1Member

I was given a goal of 0.073kwh at impossible rate and there is a problem with algorithms here if these are not on purpose. I have even plugged off the Alexa but could not catch the goal!

• db8guindb8guin Posts: 2Member

I had a negative goal... The only things plugged in were my refrigerator/freezers.

Your performance on Friday, Mar 2, 4:00-5:00PM
    You earned -5 points for using 0.06 kWh over your baseline usage
    0.012 kWh actual use
    -0.045 kWh expected use

• John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamPosts: 585Member
    edited March 2018

@sarahch1 said:
    I had a negative goal... The only things plugged in were my refrigerator/freezers.

Your performance on Friday, Mar 2, 4:00-5:00PM
    You earned -5 points for using 0.06 kWh over your baseline usage
    0.012 kWh actual use
    -0.045 kWh expected use

Yes, solar owners take a real chance when they choose to set their time for accepting OHs to include daylight hours. You'll find lots of suggestions on the forum by @UkiwiS and others, that you NOT include daylight hours as acceptable for OHs. Otherwise, a single cloudy period during and OH could wipe out your streak regardless of anything else you do.