Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Announcing: OhmConnect partnering with IFTTT + Challenge!

BenBen Posts: 33Administrator

The OhmConnect team is excited to announce our new partnership with IFTTT, a free platform that helps you do more with your apps & devices. It's free and easy to sign up. You can create an 'applet', which allows you to have your device or app take an action when a certain event occurs.

With our new partnership, OhmConnect users can automatically do things like create calendar invites when #OhmHours start, or log all #OhmHours to a Google sheet when an #OhmHour ends, or even order a pizza when your #OhmHour starts. (That's our favorite :smile: ).

To celebrate our partnership, we're launching a contest for our community. Starting today, January 19th, and ending January 25th, we are asking you to create the most useful Applet for your #OhmHours, or create the most fun Applet for your #OhmHours.

We'll release a poll on this thread for you to vote on the best applet for each category. The winners of each category will win 10,000 points, and each person who creates an applet will also earn 2000 tokens.

Rules
* Contest opens today, January 19th, and ends January 25th at midnight Pacific time.
* Users must be both IFTTT users and OhmConnect users.
* Eligible applets must be linked in the forum post with a screenshot/image of the applet. Applets must use either the #OhmHour Start or #OhmHour End trigger.
* All actions and other apps/devices are fair game.

Comments

• mauluccifamauluccifa Posts: 1Member

I go for a walk with my baby and husband pretty much every Ohm Hour, so I setup IFTTT to link with IOS Health to log a workout!

https://ifttt.com/applets/70888905d-if-an-ohmhour-is-starting-then-log-workout

• Bellerina911Bellerina911 Posts: 1Member

OhmConnect friend referral link!

• asamumasasamumas Posts: 3Member
    Ohm Connect sends messages via email, SMS or in app, but with my first applet when I receive ohm notification each member of my family/household receives an SMS as well so we all know it's energy saving time.
    https://ifttt.com/applets/70892249d-if-an-ohmhour-is-starting-then-post-a-message-to-family
  • Kendra FargoKendra Fargo Posts: 21Member
    Back up to turn power guzzling refrigerator off in case ohm connect doesn’t turn it off. Keeping my streak alive!
  • UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,421Member, Moderator
    edited January 20

If an #OhmHour starts, post my personal referral link on Facebook.

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,421Member, Moderator

If an #OhmHour is starting then tweet and post personal referral link

• mimilala619-gmailmimilala619-gmail Posts: 1Member
    Is #ohmhour starts,, then turn your phone or device on super power saving mode ;)
  • brynn-delorimierbrynn-delorimier Posts: 2Member

if an #ohmhour starts, and i'm not within at home per location services, have a tiny robot flip my power main (someone make me a tiny robot pls) :p

• No Pain No GainNo Pain No Gain 93035Posts: 395Member
    edited January 21

Some things are just more fun in the dark! :smiley:

The wine is for medicinal purposes, of course. :wink:

• Chris_and_EdenChris_and_Eden FresnoPosts: 44Member

I just like being able to ensure all my lights are turned off when the OhmHour begins! First applet runs a Lutron Scene that turns all those switches off. Great integration, can’t wait to play around some more with the possibilities!!

Be careful what you use for + then. I was going to have an email sent to a family member, but look what you have to agree to!
    IFTTT wants to
    Read, send, delete, and manage your email
    View your email messages and settings
    View and modify but not delete your email
    Manage drafts and send emails
    Insert mail into your mailbox
    Manage mailbox labels
    Allow IFTTT to do this? Umm.... I don't think so! LOL

OMG, so first ohm hour since I added an IFTTT applet and it's a total success. I was away from home and my GroupMe/ OHM applet sent messages to my son's and the neighbor who all unplugged my deep freezer, refrigerator, and all the electronics. The kids went out in the yard for a game of football, and I know when the results are in we will have saved some energy and kept our saving streak alive. We do not have any high tech energy savers like Nest or Hue and hope to afford them in the near future but with Ohm and IFTTT we save more making it a Win!
  • nlaceynlacey Posts: 20Member

I created two applet's that work together. One uses the OhmHour-Start trigger to use a webhook which makes a request to a private web-app. That web-app then gathers the current weather conditions for my location(I couldn't find a weather service on IFTTT that let me trigger without a timer), and triggers another webhook on IFTTT to write the data out to a google sheet's file. Since my refrigerator is the only major device not set to turn off, this would primarily show its efficiency as a function of outside temperature(if only I had a wifi-thermostat, I could log indoor temp too :-) ). I hadn't used IFTTT prior to this, but I can see it could be quite a cool tool; glad to see OhmConnect embracing it.

• noosaaolnoosaaol Posts: 5Member

I've created my first three applets to run at the beginning and end of an ohmhour.
    When the ohmhour starts, my Kasa TV-Stereo device (received free from OhmConnect!) turns off my entertainment system, fending off those vampire watts.
    The second applet triggered by the start of an ohmhour calls my iPhone since I sometimes get distracted and forget to remind my wife to shut off her heater (I'll be building other applets to make that easier... and to remind me to buy her jewelry for sacrificing in the cold).
    The third applet is triggered by the end of the ohmhour and turns on a Kasa device with an LED colored bulb set to flash multi-colored lights.
    LET THE PARTY BEGIN... WE'VE JUST SAVED MONEY AND HELPED THE ENVIRONMENT!!

edited February 1

Some things are more fun in the dark and
    all's well that ends with a glass of wine.

https://ifttt.com/applets/71332513d
    This applet has the same capabilities as my OHM/GroupMe applet, but it is easier because you add the contacts phone number and choose to send text or audio file. The recipient doesn't have to join or register. However this convenience comes with a fee. OHM/ Woopla ($$) I guess you not saving if your spending. Home Automation beats relying on everyone doing their part, but this past year Ohm hours have given us some of the greatest experiences, funniest bloopers, and habits that promote waste reduction not only in energy, but water, food, reusable resources, recycling, walking to the corner store rather than driving. Thank you Ohm for putting an incentive on doing the right thing and making it fun to do.
  • BenBen Posts: 33Administrator

@brynn-delorimier said:
    if an #ohmhour starts, and i'm not within at home per location services, have a tiny robot flip my power main (someone make me a tiny robot pls) :p

Check out switchbot! https://ifttt.com/switchbot

@asamumas, that's great to hear.

@Ben at OhmConnect said:
    The OhmConnect team is excited to announce our new partnership with IFTTT, a free platform that helps you do more with your apps & devices. It's free and easy to sign up. You can create an 'applet', which allows you to have your device or app take an action when a certain event occurs.

With our new partnership, OhmConnect users can automatically do things like create calendar invites when #OhmHours start, or log all #OhmHours to a Google sheet when an #OhmHour ends, or even order a pizza when your #OhmHour starts. (That's our favorite :smile: ).

To celebrate our partnership, we're launching a contest for our community. Starting today, January 19th, and ending January 25th, we are asking you to create the most useful Applet for your #OhmHours, or create the most fun Applet for your #OhmHours.

We'll release a poll on this thread for you to vote on the best applet for each category. The winners of each category will win 10,000 points, and each person who creates an applet will also earn 2000 tokens.

Rules
    * Contest opens today, January 19th, and ends January 25th at midnight Pacific time.
    * Users must be both IFTTT users and OhmConnect users.
    * Eligible applets must be linked in the forum post with a screenshot/image of the applet. Applets must use either the #OhmHour Start or #OhmHour End trigger.
    * All actions and other apps/devices are fair game.

Hi all! We are EXTENDING our contest another week! Share this with other Ohm'ers and remember, we'll be giving out 2000 tokens per applet created and 10,000 points for the winner of each category.

@Ben at OhmConnect Since you're extending this to get more people to sign up, could you let those of us who posted already know if our screenshots/images qualify? I've seen several different images and want to be sure I'm not DQ'd on a minor detail. Thanks for clarifying!

• BstringBstring North SD County CoastalPosts: 74Member

'

• ClaudiaClaudia San FranciscoPosts: 94Administrator

awesome entries guys! they are clear and we will not DQ for cut off images

@Ben at OhmConnect said:
    Hi all! We are EXTENDING our contest another week! Share this with other Ohm'ers and remember, we'll be giving out 2000 tokens per applet created and 10,000 points for the winner of each category.

2000 tokens per applet? Someone used 2 applets that work together to enter data on a spreadsheet. Does that earn 4000 tokens?

Applet to post to FB so everyone knows why I've disappeared.

@Ben at OhmConnect said:
    We'll release a poll on this thread for you to vote on the best applet for each category.

Any word on when you'll post the poll so we can vote? I've been checking the forums every day so I don't miss it. :smiley:

Hi @No Pain No Gain , @c6wooden , @asamumas, @UkiwiS, @noosaaol, @Bstring:

Our winners are:

Most Fun
    Tie between @c6wooden & @No Pain No Gain (I know, someone voted today to break the tie, but we closed the polling earlier :) ). You both get 5,000 points.

Most Useful
    @asamumas - you get 10,000 points!

For everyone else - we're giving you all 2000 tokens for creating an applet ( @No Pain No Gain, it's not per applet).

@Ben at OhmConnect Thanks for having that contest. It's nice to have opportunities to earn extra points and tokens. Congrats to all the other winners, too.

• noosaaolnoosaaol Posts: 5Member

I concur with NPNG. It was fun to see what people came up with.
    Congrats to the winners!