Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Impossible Goals due to me trying to safe more and lower and lower averages

dominikpicdominikpic Posts: 3Member
edited January 2018 in Low Energy Users

Hi,
im faced with not being able to beat my forecast quite often nowdays... ~3 months after joining. The Problem is I get Impossible Goals due to me trying to safe more and lower and lower averages.

I totally get how the forecasts work but it seems ohmconnect is punishing me for being good and saving power in general.

.. I guess I could waste electricity in general to get my averages up but that's weird ;)

How do you think about this? Is ohmconnect worth it for me or should I just quit then? Are there plans to address this? (I find many similiar posts :D)

Answers

• Kate from OhmConnectKate from OhmConnect Posts: 1,049Administrator

We're sorry it feels like a punishment. We have put items in place to make sure that efficient users can benefit-- like streaks--so that the more you save and participate the more multipliers you'll receive. Think about shifting your energy use to different times throughout the day as this.

@AKPsi Vince what advice can you add?

• The Little Ohmer TwinsThe Little Ohmer Twins Union CityPosts: 1,014Moderator
    Automate, automate, automate. If you haven’t already get some Smartplugs and a Smart Thermostat, so OC can do all the work for you. Then just set it and forget it and OC will do the rest. And don’t forget to put a Smartplug on your fridge. For low users, turning their refrigerator off during an OH really helps. Even though Energy savings and points probably won’t be high, it gets better and more reading the longer you maintain your streak.

Good luck!
  • dominikpicdominikpic Posts: 3Member
    edited January 2018

we are talking ~0.1 averages here ;) there is nothing left to automate ;)

im NOT going to waste food by turning of the freezer in the fridge

• SD ChipSD Chip Posts: 146Member

@dominikpic I am a low user as well. My strategy is to first determine the time that I get most of my OH's (4pm-7pm). I do not restrict any usage during this time, and will run dishwasher, do laundry, cook when I can. This will buildup your baseline, so when an OH is called, your forecast will be higher. I am not wasting energy, but only shifting usage to this time frame. Ohm Connect is not necessarily about using the least amount of energy, but shifting usage away from those peak periods when the grid calls for a reduction. I also follow the advice of @AKPsi Vince and automate as much as I can including my Fridge. (Have had ZERO issues with that, even on multiple hour OH'S). You also have to be patient, as the status level bonus and Streak bonus can really add up over time.
    So if your goal is to reduce as much energy as you can, it may not align with the goal of this platform, which is to reduce usage during certain periods when the grid is using the "dirtiest" power.

In the future, you need to be careful about shifting your usage during the time OH’s typically occur because the utilities are mandated by the state regulators to move to a Time of Use Electricity rate model within the next couple of years, if not sooner.

In this model, you’ll be charged a higher amount for electricity during certain times of the day (peak period) and a lower amount during other times of the day (off-peak)...sort of like cell phone minutes back in the day. And I’m pretty sure that most OH’s will be during those peak periods when electricity costs more.

@AKPsi Vince ....Well then... I should save my OH dollars to buy that shiny new battery system.

Yes, you should! I also think it should be a prize you can win when you spin the wheel. Winning a Tesla? Com’on! Really? A home battery is more realistic.
  • dominikpicdominikpic Posts: 3Member

0.1 is ridiculous ;) hf you all - I take $3 and go!

• santacruzsaversantacruzsaver Posts: 5Member
    edited February 2018

@AKPsi Vince said:
    In the future, you need to be careful about shifting your usage during the time OH’s typically occur because the utilities are mandated by the state regulators to move to a Time of Use Electricity rate model within the next couple of years, if not sooner.

In this model, you’ll be charged a higher amount for electricity during certain times of the day (peak period) and a lower amount during other times of the day (off-peak)...sort of like cell phone minutes back in the day. And I’m pretty sure that most OH’s will be during those peak periods when electricity costs more.

I am already on Time of Use and except for the 4 hottest months, the difference between peak and non-peak pricing is negligible (~1.5c / KWh). The difference on those hot months is about 10c/KWh. Now, and even during hot months, it can make sense to consume a little more during ohmhours (~cents) in order to get a better forecast beat (~dollars), particularly if you need to use that energy anyway.

Edit: and Time of Use only applies to weekdays - there's no (financial) harm in moving usage to typical ohmhours on the weekend!

• CraigWCraigW Posts: 48Member

@SD Chip, you do realize Ohm Hours are only called when energy usage is peaking and the grid needs to use least efficient on demand generation.

It's counterproductive for the environment and the grid for you to be moving your loads to when you get Ohm hours so you can participate. The purpose of Ohm Hours is to move the load off of the ohm hour so they don't need peaker plants.

"The purpose of Ohm Hours is to move the load off of the ohm hour so they don't need peaker plants."

@CraigW That is exactly what we are doing. When an OHM Hour is called, we are reducing the peak load, and possibly preventing a inefficient peaker plant from turning on. Just because we are using power during the "Peak Period", on other days does not mean that the grid is using dirty power. An ohm hour is only called when the grid is stressed, and additional inefficent sources are needed.

I pay an additional cost to the utility to use the On peak power, but offset those costs by reducing during the ohm hour, which will help the environment.

• CraigWCraigW Posts: 48Member

@SD Chip, actually we're not. Look at the advice occurring on the board. It's about concentrating your load into the ohm hours so you can move them. That's backwards from a grid standpoint. A lot of OH's occur 4-7 PM so I won't reduce during that time and will run my laundry, dishwasher and other loads during it to build my base line. In other words, you're intentionally increasing your loads when peaker plants typical get used to you can shift the load to 'conserve'.

@CraigW , I don't believe the accumulated loads of Ohm Connect users shifting loads into the prime periods that Ohm Hours are called will cause a peaker plant to turn on. (Unless all the EV owners here shift their charging to that time... I don't) I don't have the facts or figures to support that, only OC or the utility would know that. It is just my thoughts. However, when there is an Ohm Hour called the reductions us users create can make a significant difference on whether that peaker has to run.

• kuekleekueklee Posts: 1Member

I think @CraigW is right. The purpose of the ohmhour is to discourage usage during peak usage which can require the turning on of inefficient or polluting generators. But sticking faithfully to reduction of ohmhour usage does have the unfortunate side effect of lowering your forecast usage for later days, which makes it harder and harder to meet ohmhour targets. Good job! Now the bar is raised. Working harder next time.

• suedbarasuedbara Posts: 1Member

I'm going to agree with the OP. We make a huge effort to reduce our energy footprint which is resulting in an unreasonable OH forecast. It is a punishment for overall energy saving. Why can't Ohm Connect figure out a way to reward low energy users? Otherwise, moving back on to the PG&E saver plan where you get lower per kw cost all year in exchange for letting them call saver hours in the peak summer months seems the best way to save energy, help the environment AND save money.

• cwiedcwied San MateoPosts: 137Member

It seems not to be clear that OhmConnect does not make the rules for this program. This is a demand-reduction program that follows CAISO rules. The goal is to reduce peak usage to avoid having to run the most expensive and dirtiest peaker plants. As such, there is no reward for overall reduction, just for reduction on the highest usage days, when those plants would run. If you can't reduce your usage from your baseline on those days, then it unfortunately means that this program is not a good fit for you.

As others have noted, there is a perverse incentive to use more energy during non-Ohm-hours with the way the baseline is calculated. If you're not comfortable with that, then I agree with your assessment that the PG&E plan is a much better fit for you.

• atonycliftatonyclift Posts: 1Member

@Kate from OhmConnect said:
    We're sorry it feels like a punishment. We have put items in place to make sure that efficient users can benefit-- like streaks--so that the more you save and participate the more multipliers you'll receive. Think about shifting your energy use to different times throughout the day as this.

@AKPsi Vince what advice can you add?

Yes, it DOES seem like a punishment, and it is.....and those multipliers seem like a joke when you only earn about 3 dollars in an hour, with a 170% streak yet, because your baseline is so low.. We're using less energy on PURPOSE for that hour, to earn money. If you look at our energy use at other times, THAT'S an indicator of how much energy we really use. You can't base it on the ohm hour that we're running around like chickens with their heads cut off making sure we can save as much energy as possible. And this 2 hour mega hour for only 500 points also has to stop. Why are we getting the same amount of points for 2 hours that we would for 1? If it's a 2 hour Mega hour, and we beat it, we should get 1000 points. Why doesn't that happen?

It seems a lot of things there at "House of Ohm" need to be rethought out with a heavy dose of common sense. It takes a lot of time and energy to keep up our side of the bargain with this, so please keep that in mind. Thanks for your time and consideration.

• CKWMCKWM Fremont, CAPosts: 241Member
    > @suedbara said:
    > ...the PG&E saver plan where you get lower per kw cost all year in exchange for letting them call saver hours in the peak summer months seems the best way to save energy, help the environment AND save money.

@suedbara, is it possible to be doing both PG&E Save Plan AND OhmConnect at the same time? Or does doing one, displace you for some reason from participating in the other?
  • cwiedcwied San MateoPosts: 137Member

@CWKM - yes, participating in the PG&E Smart Rate plan does disqualify you from participating in OhmConnect. You can't participate in more than one demand-reduction program at a time.