Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Too many tokens to get any shields.

Well after many months of working hard towards my streak I lost it by going over by a tiny amount. Like .30 over. I swear my smart plug did not get turned off but I wasn’t at home to notice

I was at 50. Disappointed/sad/angry that BAM all my hard work is just gone and there was nothing I could have done because all the special protections are impossible to get.

Should be some rewards for getting to certain streak amounts, like one freebie for going over when you have streak months in the making. Or only losing a few streaks instead of being reset to 0.

I was already getting so little points per ohm hour with the bonuses that any future amount are probably not going to be worth my efforts for a really long time.

Comments

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,034Member, Moderator

@Kendra Fargo said:
    Well after many months of working hard towards my streak I lost it by going over by a tiny amount. Like .30 over. I swear my smart plug did not get turned off but I wasn’t at home to notice

I was at 50. Disappointed/sad/angry that BAM all my hard work is just gone and there was nothing I could have done because all the special protections are impossible to get.

Should be some rewards for getting to certain streak amounts, like one freebie for going over when you have streak months in the making. Or only losing a few streaks instead of being reset to 0.

I was already getting so little points per ohm hour with the bonuses that any future amount are probably not going to be worth my efforts for a really long time.

I'd suggest you write in to help@ohmconnect.com to see if they can check whether your smart plug was not turned off. OC are very good about these things and if it wasn't turned off they'll restore your streak.

• Kendra FargoKendra Fargo Posts: 21Member
    I hope that is the case. It just brought to my attention how frustrating it is to work so hard to have it all be gone due to .22 of a kw. I have saw others comment similar but until it happened to me I didn’t realize how much it squashed my motivation to keep using the program. Almost seems like the rewards are more for those who do referrals instead of using the program for what it was meant for.
  • bjracegmbjracegm Posts: 11Member

How often were you actually earning points? I was at a streak of 70+ a month ago, however I would get NOTHING but environmental hours (zero points). Literally no real points to speak of for a couple months. So purposefully busted my streak and now? 100 point ohm hours every time.

140 to 400 the last few I had thanks to my streak bonuse. But not many ohm hours lately. Had an ohm hour today but I didn’t bother going around and turning off any lights that may have been on like I usually do so guess I will see in a couple days the results. Like I said above my motivation is basically gone. I have all energy bulbs that use very little anyway. If it is too low I am just going to give up on ohm connect.
  • Kate from OhmConnectKate from OhmConnect Posts: 1,049Administrator

@Kendra Fargo it sounds like you're one of our low-energy users. For folks like us, it can be hard to earn points--whether any or a lot--by getting below our forecast. Have you thought about using tokens to buy the baseline boost?

edited February 8
    I wish I could. The amount needed for any of the token boost or other special token purchases are just too high. I have been collecting for months and was only able to get just past 4000 tokens. I don’t live in a huge city so I don’t get many ohm hours. Usually 1 maybe two a week if I am lucky until summertime then I get 3-4 per week.

I always click on my notifications of ohms which gives me 20 tokens each time if I remember correctly. I get to do that twice per ohm hour. So 40 tokens.

Even if I got the maximum 4 ohm hours per week I would only get 160 per week. 52 weeks in a year is only 8320 tokens max. Unless I am missing a token opportunity somewhere. I did the forum app thing to get more tokens .

I was so close to the baseline boost when the token amount changed from 3500 to impossible
    Definitely need a more personalized cost per user for token items. I understand ohmconnect was probably paying out a lot before to people who got lots of ohm hour tokens, and from a business point of view they had to slow that down. But it’s so high now it’s unreachable for many.

I get it’s a free program and I have made some money which helps my family. Hoping ohmconnect can find a way to balance things better.

@bjracegm Brave of you to purposely break your streak. Here I am crying about losing mine lol. If that is true about getting less points or even none for having a higher streak count that is concerning. You should be rewarded for participating regularly not punished. I am starting to feel like this is more for those who make referrals now than those who use the participate in ohms.
    I am still waiting on my results from the last ohm. Curious if it will be higher like yours too. I have never had an environmental ohm. If you opted out did it make you lose your streak?

@Kendra Fargo did you write in about your device not turning off? What did they say?
    If you add more smart plugs you will get more tokens. I have 8 of them so for each OhmHour I get 80 tokens from them alone. By clicking the link in the notification and sharing how I'm savings I get another 20 making 100 per OhmHour.

• No Pain No GainNo Pain No Gain 93035Posts: 220Member

@Kendra Fargo Yes! You ARE missing some token opportunities. If you post a photo to Instagram (using the Instagram link on the OH reminder text or they don't know who posted it) during an #OhmHour, tag #OhmHour and #OhmConnect, and they'll award you 40 tokens. But wait! There's more! Buddy up! Join the Buddy program and every OH you and your Buddy save energy, you'll both get a whopping 100 tokens each, PLUS points that equal the %saved average. My buddy and I earned 77 points each and 100 tokens each our last OH. Every time you send your Buddy a message on the Buddy page, you get 5 tokens. We message a lot and have really racked up the tokens!

Here's the tokens I get every OH - 20 for opening the OH notification, 20 for submitting what I'm doing during the OH, 10 tokens/smart plug = 90 tokens, 40 tokens for Instagram pic, 100 tokens for Buddy program. That's 270 tokens/OH. Every 4 OHs = 1080. That's not counting the Buddy messages and logging into OC every day (i token/day, but that's 30/month). AND answer your OC Surveys (check your spam) for 100 tokens each. Currently there's a poll to decide the winners of the IFTTT applet contest. Anyone who created an applet will receive 2000 tokens. The winners of the most useful and the most fun applets will win... gasp... 10,000 points! I'm in the running for that, so if you want to vote for mine (please), the polls close tonight.

You just need to keep your eyes open for opportunities. Right now I have 8088 tokens. I'll buy a Streak Shield first then save up for a Baseline Boost.

I guess they need to spread the word about how to get tokens. I didn’t know about the buddy program. I have joined a group but get nothing from that. Gives me hope at least that there is a chance. I was stuck at 4000 tokens for so long. Ohm should put some sort of “hey did you know you can earn more tokens by ..........” on the tokens page. Because I really thought I was doing all I could to earn. Thanks for letting me know.

I have 3 smart plugs. Don’t have anything else that need one as everything is off already. My main energy user is the refrigerator. Didn’t know I got tokens from the outlets turning off. I haven’t contacted ohm yet about seeing if my smart plug turned off. Was waiting on the results from the last ohm. Which I only used .25 kw while leaving most lights and things on. Which is less than what I used last time while we were not home so no TVs,lights, or anything left on. Only got 50 points this time which sucks compared to over a hundred.

How long has it taken you to get to 8000 tokens?

@Kendra Fargo The group you mentioned sounds like a team. Nothing gained from that, in my experience. The Buddy tab doesn't show up from the forums. Go to your dashboard and you'll see it along the top. I'm really enjoying the experience I'm having with my Buddy. We plot ways to do better each OhmHour and exchange ideas about energy usage. :smiley:
    Not all of my 9 smart plugs are used for large appliances like my fridges. I have them on lamps, TV, computers, my elliptical, and other things that drain electricity even when they're not on. In the event I'm not home when an OhmHour happens, I don't have to worry I'll go over my forecast. Peace of mind, right?

You can see if your smart plugs were turned off by OC because they'll award you 10 tokens for each. Look on that date and if they aren't there, something went wrong. Contact Support and they'll work with you to make things right. Don't wait too long. Send an email, a detailed explanation of what your issue is, and screen shots if you have them. Sometimes they know something went wrong, but not who was affected, until you tell them.

It's taken me since July to get up to 8325 tokens, but I've only been getting the Buddy tokens (100/OH) and the Instagram tokens (40/OH) since December. Before that it was just from notifications (40/OH) and smart plugs, which I've been adding to as time goes on. I take advantage of promotions and have gotten one for free (referral promotion) and the others with a discount.

Kudos to ohmconnect. Emailed them my issue and they fixed my streak. Back to 54 Yay. So relieved.

@Kendra Fargo That's great! It's always worth it to check with them.

I cannot find the buddy tab. Maybe I will have to log on from a computer so I can see it.
    > @Kendra Fargo said:
    > I cannot find the buddy tab. Maybe I will have to log on from a computer so I can see it.

Try that but are you gold or higher?

https://faq.ohmconnect.com/participating-in-ohmhours/what-is-the-ohmconnect-buddy-program

@Kendra Fargo When I'm in the forums, the Buddy tab doesn't show on the top of this page. I go to the dashboard to access it.

I am platinum. It really wasn’t there but today I got an email from Ben announcing Buddy. Now the tab is there. Hmmmm. Maybe is was only available to some. I couldn’t figure out how I had missed the feature but maybe is just wasn’t available to me yet.

That's weird. Maybe they're rolling it out a little at a time since it's new. I hope you get a buddy soon. That will help your token situation.

• NlindsayNlindsay San Diego Posts: 26Member

I had no clue about the buddy thing until Feb. 14th when I got the email from Ben as well.
    I just wish there was a better way of matching up with a buddy

Yes a better buddy match up. Maybe a few choices or something. I got matched up with someone who just started ohm at the beginning of the month. So far we are doing ok but I hope it lasts and their interest stays. I have gotten an additional 100 points for two ohm hours which is nice. Hoping for an average of 75 for each ohm in the future.

@Kendra Fargo I would say that having a Buddy helps keep the interest, especially if they communicate. As long as your buddy keeps beating their forecast, you've got a good thing going. Our Buddy points are usually between 60-76 and we work really hard to get a good saving %. He's solar, so there are some challenges that go along with that, but it's fun trying to get more points every OhmHour.

• Andrew FarrisAndrew Farris Posts: 5Member
    OhmConnect should figure out how to keep the balance better on tokens versus rewards and points for earnings.

As it is I’m headed toward switching my DRP to some other service because this is much less effective with my solar and many smart switches... my margin from base load / calculated usage for ohmhour is much too small, I’m barely making any benefit, blowing my streaks, having issues with KASA devices getting lost and disconnected, nothing of use to do with my tokens... and I’m getting 110 tokens per hour and feel that it’s ridiculous.

@Andrew Farris As a solar user, you could actually be raking in the points. I'm not solar, but I've learned a lot from reading here what they do to up their forecasts. Try using energy during the hours you normally get an OhmHour. For me, it's between 6-9 pm. I do all my chores during those hours. Cooking, cleaning, sometimes I turn the space heater on if I know I have an OhmHour the next day. OC takes the average of those hours to determine my forecast, which is usually pretty good now. I've gone from making 200-300/OhmHour to around 1300/OhmHour. When I get a notification, for example, I'll have an OhmHour tomorrow from 7-8 pm, tonight I turn on everything that runs on electricity between 7-8! I'm not wasting electricity because I'm actually vacuuming or have something in the oven, but I've targeted that hour to have a bigger forecast. Then, for my OhmHour the next day, I flip my breakers, or as many of them as I can, and use as little energy as possible. That gives you a large savings % and lots of points.
    I have 9 smart plugs and could say more about tokens, but this is something to start with. Try it and see if it makes a difference for you.

• CKWMCKWM Fremont, CAPosts: 91Member

@UkiwiS when did you get updated to that kind of a dashboard from the older one?

@CKWM said:
    @UkiwiS when did you get updated to that kind of a dashboard from the older one?

Oops...sorry I thought it had been rolled out already but must still be in Beta. I'm going to remove the posts.

• CKWMCKWM Fremont, CAPosts: 91Member

@UkiwiS said:

@CKWM said:

Oops...sorry I thought it had been rolled out already but must still be in Beta. I'm going to remove the posts.

I wish it was rolled out already. I'd be willing to answer 5 questions for 500 tokens.

What? That's coming up? 5 Qs for 500?
    About a week ago I went through the unanswered questions and got rid of at least 5 from the list!
    I like it when there's something new like that, especially if it involves tokens. :D