Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Problem with TP-Link HS110 smart plug: it switches off but not on

I have connected a TP-Link HS110 smart plug to OhmConnect and it is shown on https://login.ohmconnect.com/connect.

There are two problems:

1. If I try to switch the plug off and on using the "Toggle Device" button on OhmConnect's "Connect" page, switching off works but switching on doesn't. OhmConnect's "Connect" page shows "Status: On" but the plug doesn't actually switch back on. However, switching the plug back on using Kasa from Android works OK. (It works from Kasa whether the Android device is on or off the wifi network, so presumably TP-Link's remote control is working successfully.)

Any ideas what is going wrong here?

2. So far, OhmConnect has not switched off the plug when an OhmHour has occurred. This has happened twice.

When should I expect OhmConnect to switch the plug off for an OhmHour? Should this happen on the hour, or some number of minutes before, or might it occur a few minutes after the start of the hour?

Best Answers

Answers

• MarkSMarkS Posts: 3Member

Thanks for the information! I'll try leaving the plug alone as UkiwiS and Mike Davis suggested, and I might try controlling the plug directly as santacruzsaver is doing.

I had assumed that the purpose of the on/off button on the Connect page was partly for testing that the smart plug is working reliably, so it's ironic that using it would cause the plug to stop working reliably.

• santacruzsaversantacruzsaver Posts: 5Member

I use this script to control the plugs: https://github.com/plasticrake/tplink-smarthome-api

I also use an IFTTT applet & ohmconnect to push the "on" signal to my fridge so that I have some extra insurance against food loss.

• AKPsi VinceAKPsi Vince Union CityPosts: 994Moderator
    After all of the issues described, has anyone been able to set up their TP-Link Smartplugs yet, so they can be toggled on & off directly from OC’s web portal?

And per the recommendation of @UkiwiS to keep the plugs on thru the Kasa app and make sure it’s also toggled on in OC’s web portal, is everyone finding that OC is still reliably able to turn your TP-LINK Smartplugs off & on for OhmHours and are being awarded tokens?

I’m encountering the same issues when I try to reconnect these plugs after receiving an automated email from @Ben at OhmConnect that they are “...stuck on the sidelines” and the coach needs to “put ‘em in”.
  • BenBen Posts: 33Administrator

Hi everyone! @AKPsi Vince , thanks for tagging me.

@mrs-mythic-beasts, @santacruzsaver, @Mike Davis - let me give you a bit of information on our integration with TPLink.

We integrate directly via TPLink's production REST API to monitor and control your smart plug, and have been given access to the API through our partnership with TPLink. During an #OhmHour, we:

1. First check to see if you smart plug is on and connected to Ohm via Wifi.
    2. If the plug is on and connected, we set a schedule to turn the smart plug off prior to the #OhmHour and turn it back on right after the #OhmHour.
    3. If for some reason we can't set a schedule, we will also attempt to turn the device off by accessing the device manually before and after the event.

To clarify this thread a bit -

@AKPsi Vince talked about a reconnection issue. We found a bug with how we were handling TPLinks being erroneously flagged as disconnected last week and released a fix Friday. We are hopeful that the majority of_erroneous_ disconnection alerts will be fixed by that, but if you are having wifi issues, we will still flag your device as disconnected after it has been offline for a significant amount of time.

@santacruzsaver & @mrs-mythic-beasts, you both highlighted issues with TPLinks not turning back ON after an #OhmHour. I'm going to follow up with you all individually - we may have discovered another issue on TPLink's side late last week, so we'll be digging in there.

Finally, the last set of issues is around our Connect page not turning on/off your devices. That's really frustrating, and I'm sorry. Feel free to email me directly at [email protected] if you have more thoughts/feedback/questions. Thanks!

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,187Member, Moderator

@Ben at OhmConnect said:
    Finally, the last set of issues is around our Connect page not turning on/off your devices. That's really frustrating, and I'm sorry. Feel free to email me directly at [email protected] if you have more thoughts/feedback/questions. Thanks!

Ben, can you please clarify the status of this "last set of issues"? Resolved or being worked on, ETA?

• BenBen Posts: 33Administrator

@UkiwiS - we are still investigating them and will let you know when there's an ETA.

• MarkSMarkS Posts: 3Member

Following the advice earlier in the thread, I avoided touching the "Toggle Device" button on the Connect page, and some time after that, OhmConnect has been successfully switching the plug off and on during OhmHours. That worked without reconnecting the plug to OhmConnect via the "+" button.

@Ben at OhmConnect: Thanks for looking into this! I noticed that there is now an alarm clock icon on the Connect page whose mouseover text shows when the plug is scheduled to be switched off and on. That's useful.

I can try the "Toggle Device" button again if that would help.

• PowerDownPowerDown Posts: 1Member

I am seeing just the opposite recently ... OC is turning on all my TPLINK HS100/110 plugs on after OhmHour regardless of what their state was beforehand. After a few mishaps I am disconnecting the plugs until I read things are working correctly again.

• Andrew FarrisAndrew Farris Posts: 5Member
    > @PowerDown said:
    > I am seeing just the opposite recently ... OC is turning on all my TPLINK HS100/110 plugs on after OhmHour regardless of what their state was beforehand. After a few mishaps I am disconnecting the plugs until I read things are working correctly again.

I think I’m seeing the same thing. We were sitting living room during the ohmhour on 3/30 21-2200 PDT and the plugs turned off (already on) at the end of the hour, then turned right back on again, as if they were sent two toggle commands not a turn on command... odd.

My switches may have been set to PST instead of PDT for that event and maybe that’s part of the weirdness, see the thread about this issue.
  • SimonSimon Posts: 7Member
    edited April 9

@Ben at OhmConnect said:

@santacruzsaver & @mrs-mythic-beasts, you both highlighted issues with TPLinks not turning back ON after an #OhmHour. I'm going to follow up with you all individually - we may have discovered another issue on TPLink's side late last week, so we'll be digging in there.

I have the opposite problem. Devices that were off before the Ohm hour are being turned on after. I'm coming home to find my bedroom lights and fan on which is wasting power!

Edit: finished reading the thread and see there are two other people with the same problem. Please fix because having Ohm Hour waste power afterward is completely antithetical to what Ohm Connect is all about.

• Mary_Sean_KorkosMary_Sean_Korkos Lancaster Ca 93536Posts: 22Member

I have a TP Link smart plug coming soon, and now I'm a bit worried. I'm not too tech saavy. I'll try to follow all these directions but I must say I feel a cold sweat coming on.

• sdaec2gmsdaec2gm Posts: 18Member

I am having problems with the Lyric round. I can turn off and on with the app on my phone, but OC can not connect to it. Does anybody else have problems? If I try to turn it on or off on the OC site I get this message: DEVICE ERROR! Could not turn off HONEYWELL_LYRIC device_id=9369 because of
    Status=400, reason=Bad Request, body=' {"code":400, "message":"Device Not Found"} '
    I contacted Honeywell and they insist the problem lies with OC.