Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Is it worth buying Smart Plugs??

I like the idea of having smart plugs so I get more tokens every OhmHour - but if each plug is around $35, it seems like it would take something like a year to recoup that upfront cost if you're buying a handful of them.

Can someone help me understand if it's worth spending $100+?

Answers

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,034Member, Moderator

@s-tatarian said:
    I like the idea of having smart plugs so I get more tokens every OhmHour - but if each plug is around $35, it seems like it would take something like a year to recoup that upfront cost if you're buying a handful of them.

Can someone help me understand if it's worth spending $100+?

I have 8 and accumulated them over the last year during various promotions and when they were on sale. I'm sure they will offer those again at some time, just keep an eye out. The best deals were 50% off up front then 50% credited back to your account when you connected it. Those were worth it...they were not quite zero cost and the difference was a little bit of tax. If you are patient I'm sure you'll be able to pick some up. Another benefit is you score 10 tokens for each OhmHour when they're connected.

• Kate from OhmConnectKate from OhmConnect Posts: 1,049Administrator

As a low baseline user, I find them indispensable, especially for turning my fridge off.

• sophiavalsophiaval Posts: 2Member

@Kate from OhmConnect said:
    As a low baseline user, I find them indispensable, especially for turning my fridge off.

I've been afraid to put one on my fridge... Do you just turn off the fridge during Ohmhours? or every night for an hour or two?

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,034Member, Moderator
    edited April 20
    > @sophiaval said:
    >
    > I've been afraid to put one on my fridge... Do you just turn off the fridge during Ohmhours? or every night for an hour or two?

If you turn it off every night your forecast will be lower...since it's the average of your actual usage. Put it on a smart plug and connect it to OC so it's turned off ONLY during OhmHours. This way it'll be working for you...not against you.
  • Andrew FarrisAndrew Farris Posts: 5Member
    edited May 3
    > @Kate from OhmConnect said:
    > As a low baseline user, I find them indispensable, especially for turning my fridge off.

I use three on a freezer, garage fridge, and kitchen fridge, and totally agree with that statement, it helps drop below the forecast for late evening ohmhours when my solar is off or shaded and it’s hard to hit otherwise. I’ve had no issues with auto turn back on yet and no problems with getting too warm in an hour.