Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Is it worth buying Smart Plugs??

I like the idea of having smart plugs so I get more tokens every OhmHour - but if each plug is around $35, it seems like it would take something like a year to recoup that upfront cost if you're buying a handful of them.

Can someone help me understand if it's worth spending $100+?

Answers

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,339Member, Moderator

@s-tatarian said:
    I like the idea of having smart plugs so I get more tokens every OhmHour - but if each plug is around $35, it seems like it would take something like a year to recoup that upfront cost if you're buying a handful of them.

Can someone help me understand if it's worth spending $100+?

I have 8 and accumulated them over the last year during various promotions and when they were on sale. I'm sure they will offer those again at some time, just keep an eye out. The best deals were 50% off up front then 50% credited back to your account when you connected it. Those were worth it...they were not quite zero cost and the difference was a little bit of tax. If you are patient I'm sure you'll be able to pick some up. Another benefit is you score 10 tokens for each OhmHour when they're connected.

• Kate from OhmConnectKate from OhmConnect Posts: 1,049Administrator

As a low baseline user, I find them indispensable, especially for turning my fridge off.

• sophiavalsophiaval Posts: 3Member

@Kate from OhmConnect said:
    As a low baseline user, I find them indispensable, especially for turning my fridge off.

I've been afraid to put one on my fridge... Do you just turn off the fridge during Ohmhours? or every night for an hour or two?

edited April 20
    > @sophiaval said:
    >
    > I've been afraid to put one on my fridge... Do you just turn off the fridge during Ohmhours? or every night for an hour or two?

If you turn it off every night your forecast will be lower...since it's the average of your actual usage. Put it on a smart plug and connect it to OC so it's turned off ONLY during OhmHours. This way it'll be working for you...not against you.
  • Andrew FarrisAndrew Farris Posts: 5Member
    edited May 3
    > @Kate from OhmConnect said:
    > As a low baseline user, I find them indispensable, especially for turning my fridge off.

I use three on a freezer, garage fridge, and kitchen fridge, and totally agree with that statement, it helps drop below the forecast for late evening ohmhours when my solar is off or shaded and it’s hard to hit otherwise. I’ve had no issues with auto turn back on yet and no problems with getting too warm in an hour.
  • sophiavalsophiaval Posts: 3Member

@UkiwiS said:
    > @sophiaval said:
    >
    > I've been afraid to put one on my fridge... Do you just turn off the fridge during Ohmhours? or every night for an hour or two?

If you turn it off every night your forecast will be lower...since it's the average of your actual usage. Put it on a smart plug and connect it to OC so it's turned off ONLY during OhmHours. This way it'll be working for you...not against you.

I can appreciate that piece of knowledge! Thank you!
    I guess I'm not sure I mind, as I don't think I'll be getting an OhmHour for 2-3 AM. So the energy I'd be saving on a nightly basis from turning off my fridge for 1 hour, would end off pay off, in my electric bill. decisions decisions!

• Anh, OhmConnectAnh, OhmConnect Posts: 206Member, Administrator, Moderator

@sophiaval For qualifying users, we give discounts and rebates for those smart devices from our store. If you would like for us to check it out, please message our staff from your dashboard!

• Scott RaderScott Rader Posts: 6Member
    Can you explain how to use the smart plug? I set mine up using their Kasa app and then I connected it in the ohm connect website. My fridge is plugged into it, but it DID NOT turn off tonight during the ohm connect hour. It’s rather confusing with the toggle switch on ohm connect and the kasa controls too. What am I supposed to do so it’s automatic off on ohm hours? Thanks

@Scott Rader

Open the device in Kasa, and click "device settings " in the upper right corner..

Make sure "Remote Control" is enabled:

If you have that set, perhaps there's still an issue with OhmConnect's coding. Others have had similar issues recently too. If so, send an email to support

Ok, that is on, or was already. Now on the Ohm connect site, it’s set up like this, is that correct?
    @Scott Rader yes, looks good to me. Can you toggle it without getting any errors?

Well, yes, but the wife says it did NOT turn the fridge off tonight when the ohm hour started. She turned it off manually through the Kasa app.
    Honestly it doesn’t need to be this confusing. The ohm connect people need to have this dialed in and have straight forward directions to set this crap up. I could only imagine my mom trying to figure this out.

• Anh, OhmConnectAnh, OhmConnect Posts: 206Member, Administrator, Moderator

@Scott Rader we are aware that connection with devices have been spotty. we are trying to improve the connection with devices; in the meantime, we encourage users to be energy conscious and be responsible to make sure devices are turned off via the kasa app.

• mrsrecnsmrsrecns Posts: 1Member
    I'm saving up my rewards for a thermostat do I get any discount codes for that I also wanted to get another tp link plug.