Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Does anyone turn off their breaker completely during the power hour?

Does anyone shut off the main breaker during the power hour? This sounds easier than shutting everything off each time.

Best Answer

Answers

• Kerry NewlinKerry Newlin Posts: 3Member

We turned ours off last night for the first time to see if it makes a difference. We don't have any smart plugs yet.

• Hi, my buddy, Kerry. I have not tried shutting braker off yet. I will wait and see how yours did.

• Kerry NewlinKerry Newlin Posts: 3Member

I'll let you know if my points ever update. Haha!

• MandTWallingMandTWalling Pleasant Hill, CAPosts: 13Member

My wife and I turn off the breakers every time. We haven't noticed any issues yet with this approach, and we're able to cash out at 1000+ points a little more quickly than when we weren't doing it.

(I think it's every 4-5 weeks instead of every 5-6 weeks. I'd have to run the numbers for the past year to get more accurate averages.)

• SrelazSrelaz FullertonPosts: 115Member
    > @Kerry Newlin said:
    > Does anyone shut off the main breaker during the power hour? This sounds easier than shutting everything off each time.

Whenever there is an Ohmhour we flip all the breakers off after all the smartplugs trip. We have a 0.00 kWh usage almost every time.
  • SFPowerSaverSFPowerSaver SFPosts: 32Member

I use a bunch of smart plugs and don't turn off the breaker, it shows 0.02kWh usage every time.

• No Pain No GainNo Pain No Gain 93035Posts: 395Member

For those who are struggling to move up in Status or keep Status over 40%, shutting off the circuit breakers at the main for an OhmHour is a great way to do that. You'll see a substantial increase in points and savings percentage after the OhmHour is processed.

• BTM4030BTM4030 Posts: 3Member
    This is my first time posting on the blog.
    Maybe for my next home hour I will need to try flipping off my breakers. For my next 0HM hour I will need to try flipping off my breakers
  • BTM4030BTM4030 Posts: 3Member
    I am blind and use voice dictation so sorry about the double post in my first post
  • hayjude777hayjude777 Tehachapi Ca.Posts: 43Member
    I turn off my breaker every time, But it still shows 95% saveing not 100% , now my buddy also is throwing the switch and still 95% why is this ?
  • John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamPosts: 554Member
    edited March 26

@Ronica Hesbon, I suspect the meter comes before the main breaker, meaning you can never turn it off, and the current-measuring circuit occurs before the power is taken off to run the meter, meaning the power to run the meter is reported as your usage.

I could imagine that at maybe 2% but 5% seems very high.

@Ronica Hesbon said:
    I could imagine that at maybe 2% but 5% seems very high.

If your forecast is low, 5% of that number could be a very small amount of energy. What were your forecast and actual numbers?

• SD ChipSD Chip Posts: 126Member

If you turn off all your breakers, the meter will read 0.00 KW. I have done it hundreds of times. You are not paying for the energy to run the meter!

@SD Chip said:
    If you turn off all your breakers, the meter will read 0.00 KW. I have done it hundreds of times. You are not paying for the energy to run the meter!

That may be true at your house, but I don't believe it is universally true.

• SD ChipSD Chip Posts: 126Member
    edited March 29

@John K said:

@SD Chip said:

That may be true at your house, but I don't believe it is universally true.

I have done this to MANY meters, and not just my own. (In the SDG&E Territory only).
    I will research that @John K . From what I understand, any power used by the meter is provided by the line side, before the meter. I don't believe the utility is allowed to charge for energy usage to operate their smart network.

@SD Chip I have usage of 0.002 when I turn it all off at the box. I'm with SCE. Something else to consider is the year the original meter was installed. Maybe they didn't think about which side of the meter was paying to run it back then. Who would've missed 0.002 kWh? The newer homes probably take that into account. Just a thought.

• belladonnabelladonna Concord caPosts: 1Member
    Is it safe to turn off and on the breakers tho? My BF won't let me. Says it's not smart and could blow a fuse or start an electrical fire. I really want to prove him wrong. He is overly cautious and it drives me nuts.

@belladonna I flip switches every OhmHour, sometimes 1, sometimes all of them. Depends on what's happening here. I haven't had any problems (knock on wood). Make a bet with him and try it once, as long as your house isn't super old with a scary breaker box. ;) Tell him if something catches on fire or you blow a fuse, you'll pay for it. Do it when there's an OhmHour to make it count, though.

@belladonna I won't take credit for this bit of knowledge....

My Buddy says a fuse is THE device to prevent fires from starting. Turning off/on the main breaker might induce surges or spikes (peaks or too low voltage) and some devices might get "confused". The best thing to do is flip the individual breakers and then turn them on in sequence again. (That's what I do instead of turning everything off and on with the big main switch.) In case the power "goes out" and returns, the same happens as pulling the main breaker, and all your neighbors at the same time. When that happens (luckily not that often) have you ever seen a fire start ? ;-)

He has a point, right?

• loripursloripurs Posts: 3Member

When we turn off the breakers, are we getting paid in points? Are you keeping track to see if you are getting $5.00 worth of points??

> @John K said:
    > @Ronica Hesbon said:
    > I could imagine that at maybe 2% but 5% seems very high.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > If your forecast is low, 5% of that number could be a very small amount of energy. What were your forecast and actual numbers?

John K my forecasts differ but my actual useage is 0 But till 95% even when all breakers turned off from main power supply going out to house and yard. Does anyone get 100% ?.
    I'm not getting $5 I barely make $1, with my breakers off 10 or 15 minutes before OHMs starts. Does anyone get 100% besides solarians.
  • John LourencoJohn Lourenco Posts: 4Member

I get a 100% every time I turn it off. PG&E customer_

• jserramcjserramc Posts: 200Member

@JohnK, I suspect the meter comes before the main breaker, meaning you can never turn it off, and the current-measuring circuit occurs before the power is taken off to run the meter, meaning the power to run the meter is reported as your usage

If the meter were always on when off and the house is vacant, abandoned, etc and there is no one to bill the usage to, how would the utility company get their money? Usually when you no longer have the service, whatever the utility, you get a final bill and that's the end of it. Yes they could put a lien on the property but if you have no service I would think theie could not be justification for a payment.

• jserramcjserramc Posts: 200Member

I am solar, all electric (no gas), and one of my breakers is for the solar. So I do not cut all the breakers. I have about 10 things in the house plugged in which I unplug. Some things I don't unplug and hopefully they are not drawing power: circuit strips with nothing plugged into them or plugged in but not on (though one strip has a dual thing so that it is always on and can power two things always, and then a second area of the 6 plugs that controls 4 that can be turned off--this one I do unplug), smoke detector wired into power, all light switches, stove (clock on it has been broken forever), washer, dryer, and the solar inverter panel . It is a pill to run around unplugging things. With solar during some of my ohm hours I hopefully am getting less than zero but when that fog rolls in...so far so good but tonite my mega ohm hour is zero while my forecast is less than zero...

@hayjude777 I was constantly puzzled by never getting to zero when flipping my breakers. When I had an electrician out to fix something, I asked about it. He pointed out one lone breaker switch that isn't connected to the main switch. Now my reading is zero.

• SumanSuman Posts: 1Member

I tried that once but clocks on microwave, range and pool controller get reset. And it is a pain to set them after each ohm hour. You guys have tricks to not let that happen? Or you just not bothered by that?

@Suman I have 5 clocks I reset but I get paid for it, so it's not a problem. It's the only "work" I have to do during that hour.