Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

how can I go over my forecast when I was not even home?

Nothing was turned on.

Answers

• SD ChipSD Chip Posts: 133Member

Do you have a Fridge?

• I turn Fridge and Freezer off for an hour. It does not hurt it but if you can't be home to turn them right back on I don't know. I do know you can leave them unplugged for a few hours and it is no big deal. Good Luck.

• frodoscribefrodoscribe Posts: 2Member

OhmConnect is nonsense. Reports over usage when I'm not at home and nothing of consequence (other than my brand new super efficient refrigerator) is on. My reported usage for the same day of the week (Friday) and time (7-8 PM) a couple of weeks prior showed one-third the usage.

• Steve HindmanSteve Hindman Posts: 8Member

The issue could either be that your refridgerator was doing a defrost cycle or that your electric company reported estimated or averaged data for the time period. If you have a smart meter and there is a network problem, the electric company will estimate your usage for that time period and then reconcile it with the actual usage later, when they receive the data from the meter. Even then, the electric company will likely only average the corrected data across the day, rather than showing true peaks and valleys of usage.

• CKWMCKWM Fremont, CAPosts: 217Member
    edited April 2018

@fineline @poitevintjacque777 @frodoscribe @mossless, have you checked out your energy usage from your electric provider to double check OhmConnect's posting of your forecast?

I'm in the 94536 area code, where I use PG&E. When I log into my account on the PG&E website, I love that there's a section where I can access different views of my electricity usage (either by hour for each day, or daily usage over a billing cycle, or monthly usage over the course of a year). I think this would be helpful for you to either:

1. Have proof to take a screenshot & show OhmConnect that the numbers they used to calculate your anticipated usage is wrong for the days they reported, and request an adjustment.

or

1. Confirm that the numbers OhmConnect used to calculate your anticipated usage are correct, then begin figuring out what's going on with your energy usage on those days.

That's what I do anyways when numbers seem off to me.

Hopefully you can contact your electric company to request this data if you aren't with PG&E.

• llbcsbiggsllbcsbiggs Posts: 2Member

I agree with this poster - there needs to be more of a buffer for low users. We work swing shifts, and go to bed at 6 pm. Since we have smart outlets on everything but the fridge, a 7-8 pm successful ohm hour is almost impossible if we are already asleep when it is announced or we are not home. We went over with only the fridge on because we had purchased groceries on the last unannounced day. That is way too tight of a tolerance (luckily they waived it for everybody since it was unannounced). We will be out of town in a couple of weeks, and the only option to losing our streak seems to be turning up the fridge or not using the other smart plugs when we go to sleep on the days leading up to to the trip to up our baseline. That is the opposite of the goal of Ohm-hour.

edited April 2018

@llbcsbiggs, I hadn't considered someone who is either unavailable or not awake during the most common times that OhmHours are typically called. Have you considered adjusting the times in which you're willing to participate in OhmHours, here:

You can find this in the "Settings" section at the very bottom. Hopefully this can help you to adjust your hours in a way that will allow you to participate when you can.

Note: Don't be surprised if you don't get as many OhmHours when/if you adjust your willing participation hours times away from time when most people use the most amount of energy.

• mosslessmossless Posts: 1Member

I turned everything off but the fridge, as usual during the 4/24 ohm when I'm home, and I still went over?! This doesn't make sense! I've always always been under my forecast doing this in the past. Seriously wondering if it's worth it to continue doing this.

@mossless, have you checked out your energy usage from your electric provider to double check OhmConnect's posting of your forecast?

I'm in the 94536 area code, where I use PG&E. When I log into my account on the PG&E website, there's a section where I can access different views of my electricity usage (either by hour for each day, or daily usage over a billing cycle, or monthly usage over the course of a year). I think this would be helpful for you to either:

1. Have proof to take a screenshot & show OhmConnect that the numbers they used to calculate your anticipated usage is wrong for the days they reported, and request an adjustment.

or

2. Confirm that the numbers OhmConnect used to calculate your anticipated usage are correct, then begin figuring out what's going on with your energy usage on those days.
      That's what I do anyways when numbers seem off to me.

Hopefully you can contact your electric company to request this data if you aren't with PG&E.

• chnacatchnacat Posts: 1Member
    edited May 2018

i have the same issue. and i've sent the ohm team the data from pg&e which clearly shows i did not go over, and yet they have not yet corrected my dashboard. it is incredibly frustrating, and it makes me not want to continue doing this as well. i totally understand your frustration.

@Claudia, can you or someone from OhmConnect look into these concerns?

• brandon-knbrandon-kn Posts: 1Member

Same here.
    I've exceeded my last 4 ohmhours even though I wasn't even home. Apparently, my absence in an empty house is not enough.
    Then the company tries to market smart plugs to me. This Pay-to-win scheme for an optional program might be the dumbest product experience I've ever encountered.

• John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamPosts: 581Member
    edited May 2018

@brandon-kn said:
    I've exceeded my last 4 ohmhours even though I wasn't even home. Apparently, my
    absence in an empty house is not enough.

What's the chance that you were also out of the house at the same time on the 10 days used to establish your forecast for each event? If so, it's a crap-shoot as to whether the weather might cause extra cycling of the furnace/a-c, fridge, or water heater on the event day, pushing you over your forecast. Are the reported for actual and forecast numbers accurate? You're not a solar owner, right?

Regardless, if you've exceeded your forecast for the last 4 OHs, it sounds like a change in approach might be in order. What do you think?

• tdodds87gmtdodds87gm Posts: 1Member

Honestly, the amount of targeted kWh are getting ridiculous, 0.26 kWh was my limit tonight, I couldn't hit that unless I broke every circuit in my apartment. Furthermore what impact is that even making, way too much effort to expect from any sane person to save such a minuscule amount of power, I don't care what the scale is. Absurdity.

edited May 2018

@tdodds87gm said:
    Honestly, the amount of targeted kWh are getting ridiculous, 0.26 kWh was my limit tonight, I couldn't hit that unless I broke every circuit in my apartment. Furthermore what impact is that even making, way too much effort to expect from any sane person to save such a minuscule amount of power, I don't care what the scale is. Absurdity.

It kinda sounds like you don't realize where your forecast comes from. That .26kWh was your average usage for that same hour of the 10 days prior to the OhmHour (excluding OH days). So, it must not be too difficult for you to hit it. That's about what I use in the evening watching TV with the fridge just maintaining and wi-fi and notebook running . . . a continuous 260W is a decent amount of power. Admittedly, you're not going to get rich saving maybe .16 kWh, but if you have a long streak and Platinum status, it can still amount to worthwhile pocket change. And, CAISO, by choosing OC to supply the reduction (maybe 10,000 households each saving .16 kWh), they've already determined that this 1.6 mWh is the amount required to avoid having another generator brought online. Hardly absurdity.

• surrealcherealsurrealchereal Posts: 41Member

I don't believe that. I've left everything on during OHM hour just to see. I'm always over if I do that. (my energy usage is low, low, low. My only electric appliance is the fridge, LED bulbs in every socket, no air conditioning, etc, etc, etc.

@surrealchereal said:
    I don't believe that. I've left everything on during OHM hour just to see. I'm always over if I do that. (my energy usage is low, low, low. My only electric appliance is the fridge, LED bulbs in every socket, no air conditioning, etc, etc, etc.

What is it that you don't believe?

• surrealcherealsurrealchereal Posts: 41Member

That our forecast uses our average energy usage to determine our goal.

• cwiedcwied San MateoPosts: 108Member

Go to the dashboard and click on details on one of the OhmHours. That lists all the data used to calculate your baseline. You can add those up and average them to check whether the number is correct. Then go to your utility site to see what your numbers were according to the utility. Once in a while there is a problem in transferring the data, but the numbers are all there for you to check.

• adrhoneyadrhoney Posts: 1Member

I missed three of the last Ohm hours by .01 and the only reason that I got under for the fourth hour is because I went outside and flipped half of the breakers. I'm out!