Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

OhmHour Event Performance

dstjohn99dstjohn99 Posts: 372Member

I'm creating this discussion as a place to post how the system is performing for each event. The intent is that OC staff can get a quick read (if they desire) on how things are working for various persons / utilities / features. I recommend the following format for everyone. Then we can all see how things are working elsewhere and if improvements are taking effect. Thanks if you choose to post.

Date Time Utility
Notifications (Twitter, text, email,...)
Opt in / out
Device type, performance

Comments

I'll follow with my first example.

Tagged:

Comments

• dstjohn99dstjohn99 Posts: 372Member

8/15/16 1pm-2pm SDGE
    Notifications: Tweet rec'd before, Text rec'd 24 hours in advonce, but not the day of (no start or end), email rec'd at 1:10, no end email.
    Opt in - by default
    Ecobee - turned off a few minutes prior
    Wiser - did not turn off automatically by 1:02, turned off manually. Did not turn back on (or turned off early for the 3pm event?), turned on when I got home at 2:35
    TP-Link, offline

Comments: Notifications are improving but still not reliable. Devices - OC website had issues during the event (Connect page formatting - unreadable). The OC page on my Chrome browser said my devices were on. I can't get the OC app to work on my phone lately - just a blank screen that never loads. The Wiser app said the devices were off. I turned them off manually via the OC page. When I got home at 2:35 my fridge and other items were still off. I turned them back on via the Wiser app. I opted out of the 3-6pm event since I need to run some pumps for my plants/fish in the back. I'm not sure if they were off from 12:30 - 2:35, or just 1:02 to 2:00 then again around 2:30 or what. Not enough consistent performance to trust the system yet. I will probably turn stuff off about 3:30 but I'm not sure if you still earn points when you opt out, so if not why should I reduce?? I'll check the FAQ's but I need to reduce the time investment in the OC exercise - it's supposed to be automatic.

• Kate from OhmConnectKate from OhmConnect Posts: 973Administrator

@dstjohn99 If you opt out, you will not earn points in the event.

8/21/2016 8-9pm, SDGE
    Received twitter notification about 7:50pm
    No option to opt in/out since no email notification
    All Wiser devices and Ecobee turned off / on normally. TP-Link plug did not get switched.

I was notified of the event when my devices and AC switched of last night about 7:50pm. I checked for notifications and I did get a tweet about the same time. No other notifications received for start or stop. OC preferences set to receive all notification types and accept events at all times. TP-link set to remote operation. I'm not sure why my TP-link is not being switched yet..

@dstjohn99 There was an issue with 78 TP links for the Sunday event.

No one else (Except @Kate from OhmConnect ) has commented here so I will drop the details, but I would like to share that my Wiser AND TP-Link devices worked great for the last two events. Also notifications were working across the board. Great work OC tech, keep it fixed!!

Fantastic, @dstjohn99

• AKPsi VinceAKPsi Vince Union CityPosts: 971Moderator
    @dstjohn99 OC tweets #OhmHour notifications? I don't think I've ever gotten one of those and I don't recall there being an option for turning tweet notifications off.
    @That Son Of A Bitz I follow OC on Twitter. I don't see much, but once in a while...

We do tweet, @That Son Of A Bitz. We haven't tweeted too much other content other than #OhmHour notifications.

Good to know!
    edited September 2016

Event: 9/21 6-7pm, SDGE
    Received notifications; email, text, app
    I stayed in for this event even though past weather was sunny but it was cloudy / rainy this day.
    All my devices switched off/on within 10 minutes of start / stop

I almost opted out due to the weather because I am a solar producer. However, the email showed an expected use of 1.3kWh and my actual use at the event start was less than .02kW. So I decided to stay in. My final forecast was very close to expected and here are my results:

• well, the site won't let me select a file to include right now, so no screen shot

Forecast 1.389, actual 0.29, 193 points. That's 1.099 reduction for $1.75/kWh reduction - better than my $1 typical payout.

Also, my calculations match OC actual usage exactly, and my forecast is 1.520 before applying a multiplier. Since the difference falls within 20%, I can only assume a 1.09 multiplier was used based on prior demand. This makes two events in a row where calculations using my meter data coincide within reasonable expectations with OC calculations. Also, it was nice to see the expected use and the forecast in very close agreement.

edited October 2016

Event: 9/27 7-8pm, SDGE
    All my devices switched off/on within 5 minutes of start and right at stop time
    I almost opted out as the entire family was home, and my aquaponics system shuts off at 7pm daily anyway, but I decided to roll the dice and see what happens.

• Still can't upload a graphic here, WTF it works [almost] everywhere else?
      Forecast 2.1175 kWh, Actual 1.275, 154 points = .842 reduction and $1.83 per kWh in points

My calculated forecast is 2.052 before any multiplier vs OC 2.705 = 32% difference; the actual usage is an exact match as usual. This is not a match (see 10/5 posts below, it was an exact match until I excluded the prior event days). So now this breaks a two match streak.

ANYONE ELSE? I sure would like to know how other's devices and notifications are working, if you saved, points awarded per kWh saved, etc.

Does anyone else double check their usage against OC or do you just assume they have it right? Since 6/11/2016 I only have 33% of events (8 of 24) where my meter data and OC data are a close enough match to consider it a success. All the others are WAY off. Yet, even though I have all the meter data available with no missing days or times to determine this, per OC somehow it may be many months before they have the information needed from SDGE to review my account, correct the positive values that should be negative, fill in the TBDs, etc.

Overall I'm definitely happy with the forward progress with notifications, timing of devices turned off / on, calculation accuracy improvements and overall reliability improvements. Great job OC keep moving in the positive direction.

Pretty soon it may be time to start pointing out the little stuff like web formatting issues, links that don't work, the 2nd Venstar that appeared on the store page a few days back that says FREE*, if we can have a header that stays in place when we scroll down the page, etc.

edited October 2016

Event: 9/29 4-5pm, SDGE
    All my devices switched off/on within 5 minutes of start and right at stop time

•Still can't upload a graphic here
    Forecast .387 kWh, Actual -1.215 = 1.602 reduction, , 301 points = $1.88 per kWh in points.

My calculated forecast is -194 before any multiplier vs OC .387 = 300% difference, way beyond the 20% variation explained by the multiplier unless OC is not limiting their multiplier to the .8 - 1.2 range specified by CAISO. That would not be surprising given the historically high percentage of errors in the OC process. Bummer. I was starting to build some confidence in the OC algorithms and code.

edited October 2016

Event: 10/2 6-7pm, SDGE
    All my devices switched off/on within 5 minutes of start and stop time

Forecast 2.705 kWh, Actual 1.165 = 1.54 reduction, , 333 points = $2.16 per kWh in points.

My calculated forecast is 2.731 before any multiplier vs OC 2.705 = 1% difference; the actual usage is an exact match as usual. Based on this I suspect OC multiplier was at or very near 1.0. Excellent, another event matches almost exactly.

That's great to see that the #s are becoming more reliable.

Event: 10/4 2-3pm, SDGE
    All my devices switched off/on within 5 minutes of start and stop time

Forecast -1.929 kWh, Actual -3.77 = 1.841 reduction, 395 points = $2.14 per kWh in points.

My calculated forecast is -2.408 before any multiplier vs OC -1.929 = 19.8% difference; the actual usage is an exact match as usual. Based on this I suspect OC multiplier was at or very near 1.2. Will they ever share the multiplier used? I'm not sure if this is a match, it just barely falls in the 20% band.

Another interesting note, due to the extreme manual nature of my spreadsheet I forgot to enter the dates for prior events after 9/7. That means I was using data from event days for 9/27 and 9/29. It didn't affect 10/2 since that was a weekend. So I will edit the results for those dates above. It's VERY interesting that my exact match for 9/27 changes to a close match. Does this mean that OC does not always exclude prior event days from their calcs?

Clearly nobody reads this thread, but just in case - I am loving the double points for the last few events!!, at least until I get negative points! I wonder what kind of points per kWh other people are getting?

I don't know about everyone else, but I read every comment you make on this thread. I just haven't had time to upload my results nor to compare OC's forecasted energy use vs. what it would be based on data from my utility, let alone the multiplier.

Great job @dstjohn99! Keep posting if you can - I really appreciate the info and analysis you provide.
    edited October 2016

Somehow we took a step backwards tonight. My event notifications arrived at 5:42 (email and app), 5:44 (text), which is fine I guess. But my devices turned off at 5:42 instead of the recently normal ~5 minutes before the event - definitely not acceptable, unless the event is from 5:45 to 7, but everything says 6 - 7pm. You know, you can only play the startup card for so long, it's been two years now it's time to make this work.

edited October 2016

Hey David-- the wiser devices, I'm guessing? If so, the devices will turn off when the notifications are sent out. Notifications might have started early since we had some Internal Server Errors last night, and wanted to give ourselves some buffer room.

@Kate from OhmConnect I understand why text & email notifications need to be sent out early, but can the timing of when the Wiser SmartPlugs are turned off NOT be connected to the timing of when the notifications are sent out? At least the TP-Link SmartPlugs are sent their on & off schedules in advance, so they work more reliably. Are there any plans to add additional SmartPlug products to the OC store that are more reliable and cost less (that includes points!)?

@Kate from OhmConnect , thanks. I thought this was fixed. The last 3 events, my Wisers switched off within a few minutes of the event start, though the notifications were a little earlier or later. If they are still flagged by the notification maybe we need an IFTTT solution or similar. I'm not sure how to integrate with the Wiser gateway though; it's on my future to-do list. Any ideas are welcome if anyone knows z-wave devices, IFTTT, etc.

Event: 10/12 6-7pm, SDGE
    Received notifications; email, text, app - about 20 minutes early
    My Wiser devices switched of 20 minutes early. They turned back on within a few minutes of the end time. I didn't notice the other devices (Ecobee, WeMo, TP)

Forecast 1.5745 kWh, Actual .495 = 1.0795 reduction, 232 points = $2.15 per kWh in points.

My calculated forecast is 1550 before any multiplier vs OC 1575 = 2% difference; the actual usage is an exact match as usual. Based on this I suspect OC multiplier was at or very near .98. I consider this an exact match!

@Kate from OhmConnect , the devices always seem to turn off right at the end of the hour. What is different between the turn on and turn off signal? Can the off signal be changed to be like the on signal?

edited October 2016

@dstjohn99 All devices for which we aren't currently using scheduled (only TP Link, as I'm aware) are controlled by the notification that's dispatched at the start and end of the hour. Thus you will notice your wisers turning off early, for example. It's all controlled by a dispatch process that circles through all dispatched users. It seems to take longer to send OUT the signal than the one at the end. It seems to take less load on the sever.

PS: @dstjohn99 try editing your comment. See if it then lets you add a graphic.

edited October 2016

@Kate from OhmConnect I have tried to add graphics with edit before and it didn't work, but it does work today!

Notifications - I didn't get any end of event notifications on the 12th. The end ones are very inconsistent, but the devices always turn on so far. I'll start to pay more attention to end of hour notifications too.

Event: 10/20 8-9pm, SDGE
    Received notifications; email, start 7:50, end 9:40; text start 7:50, end - yes; app - I don't remember
    My Wiser devices switched of 10 minutes early, not sure about others.

•Graphics work today, so here are the last 3:

Forecast 1.6395 kWh, Actual .74 = .8995 reduction, 115 points = $1.28 per kWh in points.

My calculated forecast is 1651 before any multiplier vs OC 1640 = <1% difference; the actual usage is an exact match as usual. Based on this I suspect OC multiplier was at or very near 1.01. I consider this an exact match!

Excellent savings as always @dstjohn99 !

@dstjohn99 Thanks for tracking and sharing the reliability of your notifications and usage forecast and actual. It's reassuring! Now if OC could just do this on a consistent basis. I'll try to post my results later.

Anyone else tracking their results? Please post if you do.
  • Joy HJoy H Posts: 13Member

@dstjohn99 I've compared all my numbers with yours... I have the same payout percentages. It doesn't seem to be the same each and every time (ex: $1.83, $2.16, $2.15 not in order) but for the corresponding days it seems we're getting the same amount (percentage payout) for what we save. Maybe the amount that Ohmconnect pays differs each day depending on some arbitrary number that we'll never pinpoint