Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Mega #OhmHour

Answers

• NlindsayNlindsay San Diego Posts: 93Member

For whatever reason my first MEGA goal was a 90% reduction. My second MEGA goal was taken from my lowest usage, which was my usage from the previous MEGA OH.

• No Pain No GainNo Pain No Gain 93035Posts: 404Member

@Nlindsay Nice job trying to explain that! I had the same issues and sent an email. Hopefully seeing what is happening on OUR side will help them fix what's going wrong on THEIR side.

• KolchakKolchak FresnoPosts: 41Member

@Nlindsay congrats! I'm still waiting for my first MEGA. Hopefully they fix the wording so it's more clear.

• Bryan AllenBryan Allen Posts: 4Member

My numbers for the May 24th Mega on my home page:
    Forecast:0.216 kWh
    Use: -0.79 kWh
    Your reduction: 465%

And then an email saying “Sorry, you didn’t reach your mega-goal” (which in the announcement email was to be at or below 0.00 kWh.)

Something broke in the software, at OhmConnect or SCE or both, it looks like…

My RainForest Eagle quite definitively says our usage over that Mega-hour was -0.799 kWh.

Hoping this will get resolved.

• darkwater2darkwater2 Posts: 13Member

still don't see any thing but TBD for 5/17 for mega hour or 5/23

• Sophie, OhmConnectSophie, OhmConnect Posts: 10Member, Administrator
    edited May 2018

Thanks for alerting us to this issue, everyone! There was an error in what information we were sending in the emails — which we've now fixed. You should rely on your dashboard and #OhmHour detail page for your MEGA results, and ignore what the email said. We've fixed the issue for future MEGA #OhmHours, so it shouldn't happen again.

Sorry for the confusion, folks and thanks for helping us making OhmConnect awesome!

• ClaudiaClaudia San FranciscoPosts: 95Administrator

Hello, some users who hit their MEGA goal for 5/24 have not received their MEGA bonus of 500 points yet for that event, engineering is working on it.

If you missed the update about MEGA Summer and want to learn more about what you will be able to win in MEGA post pilot mode, here it is: https://www.ohmconnect.com/blog-post/mega-summer-is-here

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,607Member, Moderator

@Claudia said:
    Hello, some users who hit their MEGA goal for 5/24 have not received their MEGA bonus of 500 points yet for that event, engineering is working on it.

If you missed the update about MEGA Summer and want to learn more about what you will be able to win in MEGA post pilot mode, here it is: https://www.ohmconnect.com/blog-post/mega-summer-is-here

Claudia, how does this work logistically given the issues that are well documented in this thread?

For example if we need to qualify and the qualification period starts on 6/4 and lasts only 6 days with the draw on 6/10....what happens to those people that haven't had their OhmHour scored in time for the drawing? Many people would probably qualify on those last 2 or 3 days but not be scored in time for the drawing, right? Are they out of luck simply because their utility hasn't reported their usage in an accurate or timely manner?

• Kimberly McDermottKimberly McDermott Posts: 82Member
    @UkiwiS per the details in the rules and regs for #MegaSummer you get qualified when youe data is received/posts and for that weeks prize...I hope that makes sense..I know my wordings off but I knoe I read the answer to your question in the details regarding Mega Summer...I think they did that to account for the delays in reporting from utility companies and any glitches...So if someone participates this week and qualifing points dont post until next week then they would be entered for next weeks prize as long as the contest had officially started which means after June 4th since the other ones were actually before Mega Summer started
    edited June 2018

Thanks @Kimberly McDermott

You are right, the wording is in the official rules:
    https://www.ohmconnect.com/mega-summer-official-rules

PLEASE NOTE: your eligibility for weekly prize is determined according to when your Mega #OhmHour performance data is available and not necessarily the week in which you participate in the Mega #OhmHour. For instance, if you participate in a Mega #OhmHour during week 1, but your Mega #OhmHour performance data isn’t available until week 2, your data will be included in the Week 2 drawing evaluation.

You're welcome. ..I knew you would find it for the forum 😆
  • jserramcjserramc Posts: 333Member

Here's my mega results, according to info above, shouldn't I also be getting all the perks from a regular hour--streaks, status, etc?

Rewards Breakdown June 5 event
    Last updated: June 9, 2018

OhmHour Points

Mega Bonus
    51 Streak +250% Bonus
    Total Points

I do not see anything in here for status (was gold, now silver). Here is the previous regular ohm hour results:
    Rewards Breakdown June 1 event
    Last updated: June 9, 2018

OhmHour Points

Gold Status +50% Bonus
    50 Streak +245% Bonus
    Total Points

So maybe I should have gotten another set of points for the status but didn't? I have not reached out to OC about this since I am now discovering it (and it is the weekend)...

edited June 2018

@jserramc If you dropped down to Silver, there is no extra bonus. Check this out https://www.ohmconnect.com/status
    Gold has a 1.5 multiplier (50% bonus) and Platinum has a 2x multiplier (100% bonus).

I'm in agreement with @No Pain No Gain once you get your savings back up to hit either gold again or platinum you will start to see the extra points again...congrats on hitting your goal for your #MegaOhm

All this time, I thought I was earning extra, then a few weeks ago when they brought out the rewards breakdown and now I could see it....hopefully they bring my status back up to gold since I've reduced over 100% on several occasions....but since their system for solar users does not match what the actual percentages are...they say in order for me to maintain gold I have to save .4 kWh per event. I don't use anywhere near that so of course I can't save it. And at this rate I'll never get platinum needing to save .8 kWh per event...but I'm happy for the $10 or so I've gotten every few months...Thanks for your helpful insight!

@jserramc they are definitely growing and coning up with new ways to earn. ..so maybe soon it will all work out...still an Amazing Free program to share with friends
    edited June 2018

@jserramc said:
    All this time, I thought I was earning extra, then a few weeks ago when they brought out the rewards breakdown and now I could see it....hopefully they bring my status back up to gold since I've reduced over 100% on several occasions....but since their system for solar users does not match what the actual percentages are...they say in order for me to maintain gold I have to save .4 kWh per event. I don't use anywhere near that so of course I can't save it. And at this rate I'll never get platinum needing to save .8 kWh per event...but I'm happy for the $10 or so I've gotten every few months...Thanks for your helpful insight!

If you search the forum there's a number of posts about how to handle this for Solar users. In a nutshell, change your availability so you are NOT including the peak times when you are generating. This will also reduce the chances of you losing your streak on a day when random clouds come into play. Gold and Platinum are based on your savings over the last 20 OhmHours You will not get as many OhmHours but when you do get them you will probably be able to easily save what you need to be platinum.

https://faq.ohmconnect.com/participating-in-ohmhours/how-does-ohmconnect-calculate-your-status-tiers-when-you-have-solar

And another thought...regarding qualifying for the weekly event...if your mega hour was a few days before the weekly draw and your results show up for next weeks draw...if there is another mega event in the newest week and your results come in for that before the deadline, could you have two entries for the same event? In other words, this event ends today June 10. If no results tallied by now, so now the newest event ends June 17. On Monday June 11 the results show up. Now you are in the running for June 17 draw. On Tuesday a new mega ohm hour happens. Your results come in on Fri June 15. Is it possible to have more than one entry? And would that boost your 3 times qualifying?

To my understanding it's only 1 entry per week

@jserramc

Scroll to the bottom of this page for the "Nitty Gritty" details.
    https://www.ohmconnect.com/mega-summer#prizes

Try and get a referral to go Silver in the week and you are good for that week.

So since we are not in control of when a mega event (or any ohm hour event) occurs, we are at the mercy of OC to get our data and qualify us for an event...

@jserramc said:
    So since we are not in control of when a mega event (or any ohm hour event) occurs, we are at the mercy of OC to get our data and qualify us for an event...

Yes....but it is a free program, costs nothing to enter and they can make the rules, right?

Also worth thinking about is that most of the data issues seem to be tied to the utility, and more often than not a specific one keeps percolating to the top ....

Here's the current known issues....
    https://faq.ohmconnect.com/current-known-issues

@jserramc You only need 3 of the weekly events to qualify for the big one on September 26th. Plenty of time!

Personally, I find it easier to win a Mega than to get a referral to Silver, but at least there are 2 ways to choose from. Some people are pretty lucky with recruiting, though.

Right @No Pain No Gain I like that the provided that option so everyone has a chance and belive it or not I'm actually glad they kept it to one entry per week person as like you said getting a referral to silver can sometimes be a hit an a miss

@UkiwiS, thanks, I've read a lot of the posts about the solar. I still don't understand, if OC gets our data from the utility company and it is broken down hour by hour (and on your posts I've noticed some utilities break it down by quarter hours), and if my OH activity is different from any one else's since it is my usage not an average, then why can't they take all the activity I've done for 20 events based on how much they forecast me to use and how much I use (and again, my forecast is based on my use not the person next door), then apply logical math to determine that I have in fact saved more than 15% so my status is returned?! Saying that they don't know when I will produce solar is a given but my usage is available to them for 24/7. I get penalized for having solar while the person next door who is drawing from the grid, doesn't, I can NEVER save .4 kWh per event if I only use less than the forecast, which, coincidentally, is also NEVER .4. Here are my last results:

Jun 8, 8:00-9:00PM
    Forecast:
    0.351 kWh
    Use:
    0.016 kWh
    Your reduction:
    95%

So logical math would indicate, regardless of whether at 8 PM my unit produced solar, that I beat my forecast and this should be reflected. If I have had 52 ohm events in a row without losing my streak then I have definitely saved the minimum of 15%. I earned this status over 10 events ago and if I never ran into a negative number, logical math would show this. But I guess they use some other form of math to determine things. Telling me to take the last 20 forecasted figures, minus what I used, then dividing by 40 will never bring back the status.

And I do understand the part about cloudy days and producing. I only get invites for things in the evening or after 6 PM so I think I have that right.

I can't be the only solar user with this issue. If I get an electric car and need to charge it I suppose I could get to that magic .4 event but right now it is just for the house use not a car.

Sorry if I've vented too much. (and not sure how to make your email address appear in blue at the beginning of this post).

PS I see that your name did appear in blue once I hit post.

@jserramc

It's fuzzy math but please don't lose sight of the fact that OhmConnect are currently not getting paid anything for our savings....at least that is my understanding. I cannot find where it is stated and I'm not sure if this applies to the entire day or just the daylight hours when we are net generators. Perhaps @Claudia can comment?

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2018

@UkiwiS hey there; I have to retract my answer because I had my information mixed up @cwohmcon has the better response below!

@jserramc solar is extremely tricky because our program is mainly targeting users who depend on the grid for energy so we are helping them build habits for being more energy conscious. solar users are already doing their part in saving energy so our program is going to be a lot more difficult to gain.

• cwiedcwied San MateoPosts: 137Member

OhmConnect doesn't get paid for reductions below 0 kWh total usage. They do get paid for the reduction to 0. In my opinion, they should offer the option to solar users to not get paid for negative usage in exchange for having the normal reduction calculation. The best practice for solar users is to only take OhmHours after sunset anyway to avoid losing streaks on cloudy days.

It's not a big deal for me since I use a fair amount of energy during my chosen OhmHour schedule (7-9pm), but for low-energy users this seems like a needlessly severe penalty.

If OC does not get paid, the only winner is PGE. They pay me a small percentage when I send power back to the grid. When I first started, in 2009, I think it cost about 13 cent per kWh and they refunded me something like 3 or 4 cents when I produced. I recently spoke with them and found out that the rates now vary between 21-40 cents per kWh yet I only get credited .085 cents (This beats when I first started that PGE actually got ALL the excess energy with no compensation, but it changed in 2010). And I have done well these last 8 years paying a very small electric bill. But if OC gets nothing from solar users maybe there should be a program just for us...