Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

I'm on H1-B, can i still join OhmConnect ?

Does the rebate provided by OhmConnect count as income or Interest ?

On an immigrant visa, i cannot have an alternate source of income, however - i can certainly have interest income.

Pls. let me know your thoughts.
thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• karan-alangkaran-alang Posts: 6Member

@EnergySaver-k1 said:
    Does the rebate provided by OhmConnect count as income or Interest ?

On an immigrant visa, i cannot have an alternate source of income, however - i can certainly have interest income.

Pls. let me know your thoughts.
    thanks!

@Kate from OhmConnect - can you pls. comment on this ?

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,595Member, Moderator
    @EnergySaver-k1

If you have an account with a utility I believe you can join. The threshhold for a 1099 is $600 so assuming you earn less than that I don't believe the IRS will know.

Having said all that, you should consult your tax provider because I'm not an SME in that area and not qualified to offer advice.

@Claudia, can you comment?

@UkiwiS said:
    @EnergySaver-k1

If you have an account with a utility I believe you can join. The threshhold for a 1099 is $600 so assuming you earn less than that I don't believe the IRS will know.

Having said all that, you should consult your tax provider because I'm not an SME in that area and not qualified to offer advice.

@Claudia, can you comment?

thanks, i think might be an issue .. unless this is tagged as 1099 INT (instead as 1099-MISC), i guess might have to disconnect :(

do we get 1099-Int for this ? can the moderator confirm this ?

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,595Member, Moderator

@karan-alang The form I got last year was a 1099-MISC

• cwiedcwied San MateoPosts: 131Member

@karan-alang - you should probably ask an immigration lawyer about this. What you're not allowed to do is to work for another employer other than your H1-B sponsor. The 1099-MISC is just a problem if it is evidence of such outside work. For instance, if you were to receive a 1099-MISC from your H1-B sponsor, that would be fine. Since you're not working for OhmConnect, it may be ok to join anyway, but that depends on the definition that the government uses. Only an immigration lawyer would know for sure whether or not this is ok.

• Steve ESteve E Posts: 329Member, Moderator

If you still want to take part in the program you can always opt to donate your earnings instead of cashing them out.

There is an option of the "cash out" page for donation. I would assume that this then no longer counts as any kind of earnings, but again you may want to verify that

This discussion has been closed.