Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Ohm hours

felicheeksfelicheeks HaywardPosts: 3Member
Remember...there are no dumb questions...and I am very new to this.

My whole family is in on this "flipping the breaker off and saving" but where can I find and adjust MY Ohm hours? How do I report when we're doing it?

Answers

• John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamPosts: 585Member

@felicheeks said:
    Remember...there are no dumb questions...and I am very new to this.

My whole family is in on this "flipping the breaker off and saving" but where can I find and adjust MY Ohm hours? How do I report when we're doing it?

Before jumping on the bandwagon, you might want to check whether your breakers are rated for "switching duty." If they are, they will be marked with the abbreviation "SWD". At least until OC answers my question under a previous thread as to whether they've contacted any of the big breaker manufacturers and asked their opinion of recommending the use of breakers as switches, I'd be a bit reluctant.

You adjust the time during which you are willing to accept OhmHours under the Settings for the main site.

I'm not sure I understand your question, "How do I report when we're doing it?"

• cwiedcwied San MateoPosts: 131Member

You don't pick your OhmHours yourself. You can say when you're available and then when demand reduction is needed (profitable), OhmConnect will notify you of the day and time of the OhmHour. Usually you get 25 hours notice, although it is also possible to have OhmHours on shorter notice in certain regions.

Note that the baseline used to calculate your reward is based on previous usage, so paradoxically reducing your usage on days when there isn't an OhmHour reduces your reward.

• The Little Ohmer TwinsThe Little Ohmer Twins Union CityPosts: 1,014Moderator
    @cwohmcon the baseline does not include Ohmhours.
  • cwiedcwied San MateoPosts: 131Member

The sentence might be a little confusing. I said reducing on days when there isn't an OhmHour reduces your reward. Reducing your usage on days when there is an OhmHour has no effect on baseline, of course.

• @cwohmcon You're right, the wording is difficult to understand and you're basically right about your forecast. We build your forecast based on the usage during that hour that is the same time as the OhmHour and gathering the average. For example, if OhmHour is on a weekday 7-8pm, we will look how much energy you have used the last 10 weekdays from 7-8pm and take the average. If it was on a weekend (which might happen this summer), we will look the last 4 weekend days.

• jserramcjserramc Posts: 312Member

except that those of us with solar are kind of penalized. My usage is very low yet per their terms, they use a baseline of 2 kWh for my baseline regardless (unless I actually used more than 2). The formula to determine my percentage is very confusing. Especially when I end up with negative days. I only hope that I will continue to get the other benefits from this program and not worry if I am Gold (as I was, now dropped to silver--even with 51 successful OH). So even if I know there is an ohm hour (and the time it will be) 25 hours from now, running around turning on everything to "raise" my baseline does not make any sense at all.

• No Pain No GainNo Pain No Gain 93035Posts: 404Member

@jserramc My Buddy is solar and was in your shoes with dropping status when we first became Buddies. We both started funneling our usage to the hours we get #OhmHours - between 6-9 pm. Currently, our #ohmHours are mostly 8-9pm. We have a Mega starting in 20 minutes, so I'll make this fast. :-) We do things like laundry, baking, vacuuming, dishwasher, a/c or space heater if it's cold, etc., from 8-9. Our forecasts are up and so are our % savings. It's a little extra effort to wait to turn on appliances at that hour, but it's really paid off in points and no longer being nervous about being dropped in status from Platinum to something lower. I feel it's wrong, personally, to waste electricity just to get my forecast up, so I don't turn things on for no reason, which is what I think you were referring to as making no sense. I agree. I'm hoping the #OhmHours will move to an earlier time as the summer warms up and people run their a/c because I like to wind down after 8pm, not vacuum the house and fold laundry! haha But it's worth it for me as a low usage household, and it's worked out for my solar Buddy.

I have no communication from my buddy. If nothing else, most of the time both of us are saving. OC told me originally that buddy events good or bad don't affect our personal stats, just that we both get extra points when we both save. And no penalty if buddy stats don't match yours. But I don't know if this is still true.

• No Pain No GainNo Pain No Gain 93035Posts: 404Member

@jserramc Yes, that is still true. Nothing you do or don't do affects your Buddy. Nothing your Buddy does or doesn't do affects you. Except if one of you doesn't beat your forecast, then neither of you get 100 tokens, because that's awarded if you BOTH beat your forecast.

• @No Pain No Gain great explanation! @jserramc it's hard to gain from a program that is trying to make people conserve energy when you are already doing your part in conversing energy.

• CKWMCKWM Fremont, CAPosts: 235Member

@jserramc, doesn't just have to be an electric car during the evenings to register high energy usage in the evening hours. I recommend seeing if you can try doing laundry or vaccuming during those hours. Granted, it's not as much as an electric car, but work with what you got and what you need to get done anyways at prime OhmHours to get your forecast up.

Earn + save up those tokens to activate a 5kW Baseline Booster... which should be amazing for solar users right? Or does the 5kW Baseline Booster not reward as much as a non-solar user?

Hope that helps.

I think there was a post about the Baseline booster NOT applying to solar users. I still wonder about my gold to silver status and even if I did have a baseline boost, if I am still silver (which appears to be the case even though I've saved well over 15%) it may not amount to much. I also think it can't be applied to mega hours. Thanks for your info.

• CKWMCKWM Fremont, CAPosts: 235Member
    edited June 2018

@jserramc - I didn't see any FAQ topics nor forum threads addressing Baseline Booster relative to solar users, so I asked and @UkiwiS answered here explaining how they DO apply to solar users.

thanks, this post from @UkiwiS was great info. Still not sure what I should be saving tokens for, I have the mulligan (got it thinking it was better for me but realize after the fact it isn't). But live and learn.

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,595Member, Moderator

@jserramc said:
    thanks, this post from @UkiwiS was great info. Still not sure what I should be saving tokens for, I have the mulligan (got it thinking it was better for me but realize after the fact it isn't). But live and learn.

I revisited the tiles and the most "valuable" is probably the "referral madness" card. Getting a referral to Silver is worth 4000 points and you have 2 weeks to get them there. It's also only 1000 tokens! With the summer madness prizes it should be fairly compelling and an easy "sell"

• @jserramc to piggy-back off of what @UkiwiS, please note that you will get the bonus only when your referrals turn silver within those 2 weeks too. if you made a referral and they didn't turn silver until after the 2 weeks, you will not get the extra bonus.

• The Little Ohmer TwinsThe Little Ohmer Twins Union CityPosts: 1,014Moderator
    @anguye42 how do you time this? You can’t time when your referral will hit silver because it’s basically up to the utility when they approve your enrollment into the program and in no way in the referee’s control. So someone could try to use it because they know when their referral signed up and submitted their utility info, but then their utility may not approve until after the 2 week referral madness card expires.

So until OC can provide more visibility into the real-time progress of the utility approval process and the utilities reliably approve enrollments in a predictable manner, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT NO ONE USES THEIR TOKENS TO BUY THE “REFERRAL MADNESS” card. Instead save them up to buy the Baseline Boost because once you get it, it’ll be used on your next OhmHour (I believe it increases your baseline to 5kWh), and you have more control over your usage during an OH than you do when the utility approves your referral’s enrollment in the program. So you’re more likely to get the bonus for the Baseline Boost Card than the Referral Madness Card.
  • @AKPsi Vince that is something we are actually working on to show users their enrollment status so that they have a better idea of where they are in the enrollment process and improving the process overall.

as for your message suggestion, that's not something we would like to say to users because the cases aren't always the same - we can't to tell users what to do because we aren't liable for their actions. all we can do is give them information about the power-up cards and the users can make an informed decision that they feel most comfortable with. also, another reason why we have this forum is for users to share their tips and talk about things that worked for them to improve their scores. we try to make this like a video game and i don't know about you, but i am constantly in game forums to find ways to improve by tricks and trade that other gamers knew that i didn't. so that is great that you are making this suggestion for users to try if they like; i'm not endorsing anything - i'm here to address questions, promote new features, etc.