Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

TP Link HS105 did not shut off on last mega

When I first plugged it in and connected with ohm it shut down when it was supposed to. On this last Mega it was still on when we came home 15 minutes before mega ended. We shut it off but not in time. We missed the Mega by 0.008. :( Is this HS105 not connected to ohm anymore? Is this a manual or scheduled shut down via the app only?

Best Answers

Answers

• No Pain No GainNo Pain No Gain 93035Posts: 378Member

@stormysb and @John K - would these HS105 plugs happen to be the ones that were given away last month? I only have one, but find that for each #OhmHour, several of my smart plugs aren't turned off remotely by OC. They're different plugs each time, so it doesn't seem like it's a fault with any particular smart plug. I'm trying to figure out a pattern because reporting plugs not turning off doesn't seem to be getting much interest at OC. At the beginning of each OhmHour, if I'm not home, I check Kasa to be sure they're all off. It's hard to tell on the OC Connect page if they're really off or on. The Kasa green or gray is trustworthy, while the OC Connect toggles are definitely not.

• John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamPosts: 552Member

@No Pain No Gain said:
    @stormysb and @John K - would these HS105 plugs happen to be the ones that were given away last month?

You nailed it.

Are the other sometimes-failing plugs TP-Link branded? Like I said, my HS110 models seem to always work unless there is a general failure of everything.

I agree with you that you can't rely on the Connect page to tell you whether a given plug is really on or off, but Kasa always seems accurate. Let us know if your "pattern" investigation reveals any answers.

• frankhacfrankhac Sunnyvale, CAPosts: 49Member

I had gotten the HS110 that was given away a while back and they've always worked. However, I did get one HS105 that was given away last month. I've had about 3 OH and the HS105 never turned off automatically. I used the Connect page to turn it off manually the last time. It always seem to turn back on automatically though. I also get the 10 token points. So it seems the plug is connected to OC but just not automatically turning off.

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,404Member, Moderator

I'm not sure if it's relevant or not but have you checked that they're all running the latest firmware.

I just updated mine and NONE of them were at the current version. The HS105 current version is 1.5.1 and for the HS110s it's 1.2.5

@UkiwiS, my HS105 was current, so that can't be my issue. I did find that a couple of my HS110s were behind, and now that I updated them, they'll probably start having issues. ;) Thanks for the reminder. Have you noticed any issues with your HS105?

• stormysbstormysb Posts: 41Member
    edited June 25

Thank you all for answering. I didn't think I would get an answer so fast, so sorry for the delay. Yes, this HS105 is from the giveaway last month and is still in my connected devices and toggled on. The HS105 and the HS110 are both showing in Kasa. Only the HS110 is showing as scheduled now and the HS105 is manual. When I first plugged it in it updated its firmware. But how do I check if its the right version?

@stormysb Firmware updates will be the latest version. Go to Kasa > Settings > Firmware Update to make sure any plugs you have are up-to-date.

I may have found the problem, the HS105 shows a runtime of -0.02. The HS110 shows correctly the time and runtime. Is this why it did not shut off?

@admin can you move this thread to Troubleshoot section?

@stormysb said:
    I may have found the problem, the HS105 shows a runtime of -0.02. The HS110 shows correctly the time and runtime. Is this why it did not shut off?

Mine looks good . . . 23.9 hrs just before midnight.

Well, I have new info. Yesterday I cleared all schedules from each plug in Kasa. Tonight at the start of an OH two of the plugs, one HS110 and one HS105, failed to turn off. What I found was that schedules had been created for both devices, BUT neither the ON nor OFF side of the schedules had been toggled to the active position. I don’t know if this is a hardware issue or whether the instructions being sent out are just incomplete.
  • UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,404Member, Moderator

@""John K" Do your devices accurately report their remote /local state? Despite all having the "remote control" option enabled, mine randomly report "local only" like this....

@UkiwiS, no I’ve never seen that notation before. However, while checking just now, the same two plugs that hadn’t had their schedules toggled to the active position, dropped off the network and when selected showed “unreachable” and then reconnected. Eventually a third plug demonstrated the same behavior.
  • John LourencoJohn Lourenco Posts: 4Member

My HS105 from the most recent giveaway has been problematic. Only 50% of the scheduled OhmHours get scheduled into the device. I have connected and reconnected as well. :(

For second event in a row, the HS105 and one HS110 failed to turn off on their own. This time, however, the proper schedules were created AND the schedules were activated. If I create a schedule in Kasa at least 2 minutes ahead, they seem to work, but not any later than that. I'm now wondering whether part of OC's activation may be coming too late. Or, perhaps everything is totally random. Who knows, but they're completely unreliable at this point.

@John K I agree that the smart plugs are unreliable when it comes to being shut down remotely by OC for an OhmHour. My Buddy suggested scheduling my plugs to turn on later in the evening than we have OhmHours to catch anything that isn't automatically turned on. If I'm not home, I check Kasa to make sure everything is off at the start of an OhmHour, because there's always a smart plug or three that are left on.

• frankhacfrankhac Sunnyvale, CAPosts: 49Member

I had an OH last night and for the first time all my smart plugs turned off and back on automatically, including my HS105

@frankhac I had the same delightful experience last night with the remote turn off of ALL 10 smart plugs! :D I was out at my breaker box with my phone, watching Kasa for when they started to turn off. Waiting and watching as my phone said 7:00 pm... waiting... then right before it went to 7:01 - bam! All the green lights went off at once! First time that has happened. I flipped my breakers and was seriously impressed after months of smart plugs being reliably unreliable. I'm not convinced this wasn't a fluke, so it will take some time to build up trust, but it's a good start. I didn't flip my breakers back on until after the OH was over, so all the plugs had to be turned back on through Kasa.

@No Pain No Gain said:
    I was out at my breaker box with my phone, watching Kasa for when they started to turn off. Waiting and watching as my phone said 7:00 pm... waiting...

LOL @NoPainNoGain I wonder how many on a block can be seen doing this and how many neighbors are scratching their heads. LOL Love the visual!

@stormysb I only WISH I could get some people on my block to sign up! :p Surely they must wonder, moreso when there are OHs after dark, why my house goes black for an hour!