Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Going on Vacation

I have my sister staying over while we're gone for 4 days. I'd rather her not have to deal with turning off the breaker or unplugging things or turning off the AC while we're gone. Will how I set up my Ohm Hours ensure there won't be any while I'm gone?

Comments

• John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamPosts: 585Member

@Hunhoff1319, if you do a search for the word "vacation", you will find other recent threads pointing you to the FAQ that covers this. If you go to the FAQs and search for "vacation", you will find: https://faq.ohmconnect.com/participating-in-ohmhours/can-i-opt-out-of-ohmhours-on-a-specific-day-or-while-im-away-on-vacation . However, the one question remaining is why the warning, "You will need to make the adjustment a week before the time you want to block off." @anguye42, can you check on the reason for needing to make the change a week in advance? If, as I suspect, this is a relic of times past, maybe it can be deleted.

• Hunhoff1319Hunhoff1319 Posts: 39Member
    Thank you for the information. I hope a week isn't necessary! We leave on Thursday 😕 Worst comes to worst she'll hate me for an hour.
  • No Pain No GainNo Pain No Gain 93035Posts: 400Member

@Hunhoff1319 Offer to give her what you earn during that OhmHour that she saves and let her know the more she saves, the more she earns. You might even get a referral out of it - more $$ for both of you! Have a safe vacation.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2018

@Hunhoff1319 a trick that i know to do is to simply turn off receiving notifications. when you receive a notification, it is an automatic participation in OhmHours. turning it off would be the best thing to do but don't forget to turn them back on.

• CKWMCKWM Fremont, CAPosts: 227Member

Thanks for clarifying that @anguye42, because I would have thought that just because a person chooses not to be notified of OhmHours doesn't mean that person is safely opting out of receiving OhmHour participation. I wanted to make sure, because I will be going on vacation in a month and I didn't want to lose an OhmHour nor my streak.

Let me know if I'm understanding this incorrectly.

• John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamPosts: 585Member

@CKWM said:
    Let me know if I'm understanding this incorrectly.

Turning off notifications will not stop OH participation. You must change the times you are willing to accept OHs.

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,523Member, Moderator
    > @John K said:
    > @CKWM said:
    > Let me know if I'm understanding this incorrectly.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Turning off notifications will not stop OH participation. You must change the times you are willing to accept OHs.

That's my understanding too.
    @CKWM @John K and @UkiwiS that was my understanding as well. I don't want to lose my streak of 88. I couldn't care less about losing points but losing my streak is what I'm worried about. I've toggled the times and keeping my fingers crossed I don't have to have my sister do any extra work.
  • @Hunhoff1319 @CKWM @John K @UkiwiS you can't lose your streak if you aren't participating. opting out is when you forget you're not available that day to participate so you have an option to save yourself from negative points. if you know far in advance that you can't participate like lets say Friday, you would need to toggle off your notifications or change the time preferences more than 24 hours in advance like on Wednesday or Thursday morning.

I hope that makes sense. If you need me to clarify more, let me know.

@anguye42

Doesn't toggling off your notifications mean you simply won't be notified but still be participating?

• @UkiwiS no it doesn't. what a notice some users have contacted us is asking "why aren't i getting any OhmHours?" and usually the first thing I do is check their notifications. I had one user who's availability is all day but he didn't turn on the notification methods - both text and email were omitted.

if you are still unsure about that, i would say just toggle your time as well. make yourself unavailable 1pm and later.

• MinEarlMinEarl Posts: 14Member
    I spoke recently to an Ohm representative and he said to go to the lower right page of your home page to go to the settings where it asks, “When would you like to receive Ohm hours?” and to set the times to something like 11:59-12:00 pm, so you don’t receive any while you are gone, but to remember to change it back!
  • jserramcjserramc Posts: 259Member

So if I understand this, I should reset my times for hours to a very minimum like the above 11:59 PM- 12:00 AM at least a week before my vacation. (Just figured out there is an "edit" button on the settings--could not figure out why I could not change it). Then when I return, after I've been using again, maybe a week later, reset it for normal times so that the old times are absorbed. I guess I could continue to check in daily (if possible) to get tokens, or other perks that happen. I've already qualified for the 100K. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Don't forget the formulla for the forecast. It basically means that it'll take 10 days of no usage for the full effect of days away to impact forecast. If your usage is pretty high you can keep an eye on it and adjust settings while away.
  • frankhacfrankhac Sunnyvale, CAPosts: 49Member

We never got a reply from @anguye42 but I'm not sure why we would need to reset our hours 1 week prior to going on vacation. The only reason I can think of is that it takes that long for the schedule to take affect.

Assuming you turn off just about every thing when you are on vacation, I would think you would beat your forecast while you're on vacation. Perhaps that is what @UkiwiS is implying but because you have a history of 10 weekdays or 4 weekends/holiday, you may not need to adjust your hours while you're gone for the 4 days. However as @UkiwiS suggested, depending on how big of a difference your typical forecast and usage, you may need to not participate after you comeback until those 4 days are no longer part of your history.

• @frankhac i never got any message from you on the forum or on intercom (the help chat)

My usage (per PGE) for this time last year while on an extensive (more than 2 week) vacation showed a very aveage 10 days. But if even one of those days gave a little extra or didn't use as much,I could see that average a lot less. I don't have smart stuff so although I only leave two things on, the fridge and the soalr, even if I emptied the fridge and unplugged it, the solar would be my only energy user. I am not online as much while travelling (using libraries or starbucks type places) so would not want to risk getting a special alert. And since mega hours are lower, I would not be able to adjust anything. I'd probably be more at ease just getting no invites rather than worrying about it. Then when I return and start using the power again, after the 2 week threshold I'd be back in line to a normal output.

@anguye42, I didn't actually message you. I was referring the question @John K had. In the FAQ it states that we should set our time available for OH one week in advance https://faq.ohmconnect.com/participating-in-ohmhours/can-i-opt-out-of-ohmhours-on-a-specific-day-or-while-im-away-on-vacation

When we set our time availability, how quickly does that change take affect. If it takes affect within a day, what is the reason to set it one week in advance.

@jserramc, you are correct that it would be less stressful and safer if you just make yourself not available during your vacation and some time after you come back.

I was making a few assumptions when I suggested you may not need to change your availability during a vacation
    1. It's a short vacation like 4 days
    2. You don't have solar or your availability is when your solar system is not generating anything
    3. You have a decent margin between your typical forecast and usage during an OH

Every home is different but I don't have anything that will use a lot of energy unless I turn it on. When I go on vacation, I turn off just about everything except my fridge and DVR which are both on smart plugs. Essentially, when I go on vacation, I treat it like one long OH.

mega hour tomorrow July 17. guess I will plan for about 8 or 9 days prior to travel...

• cwiedcwied San MateoPosts: 119Member

I suspect they say 1 week before because that is the maximum time ahead that they would ever schedule an OhmHour. In practice I don't know if that ever happens, The main point is that once you're scheduled for an OhmHour, you can't be removed, because they've already put in the bid for that day. I think in general you'd be fine cutting it closer with the caveat that they might decide to bid on one of the long-term events and commit you to an OhmHour a week out.

I've gotten back to back hours/days 4 or 5 times. The earliest I ever had (soon after joining last fall) was a 15 minute notice. I asked them how could a 15 minute notice be effective, OC told me sometimes they get the notice that way. Most of the times I get a 24-28 hour notice.

so I hope this is the setting that works while I'm on vacation: (not sure if the print screen will show up here)

Times You'd Like to Receive #OhmHours
    Weekdays
    -1 AM
    -1 AM
    -1 PM
    -1 PM
    Weekends
    -1 AM
    -1 AM
    -1 PM
    -1 PM

• @jserramc that will work. I had a user writing to me how had that time preference and asked me why he hasn't gotten an OhmHour for 2 months. He still had the same streak too.

> @frankhac said:
    > We never got a reply from @anguye42 but I'm not sure why we would need to reset our hours 1 week prior to going on vacation. The only reason I can think of is that it takes that long for the schedule to take affect.
    >
    > Assuming you turn off just about every thing when you are on vacation, I would think you would beat your forecast while you're on vacation. Perhaps that is what @UkiwiS is implying but because you have a history of 10 weekdays or 4 weekends/holiday, you may not need to adjust your hours while you're gone for the 4 days. However as @UkiwiS suggested, depending on how big of a difference your typical forecast and usage, you may need to not participate after you comeback until those 4 days are no longer part of your history.

I'm not sure if this was in reference to my original question but my little sister dog/house sits for us when we are gone. She is doing me a favor and I'd hate to ask her to turn off the breaker or shut everything off while she's here especially if she has company over or what not. This is why I had the concern. It was easy to just toggle the times rather than inconvenience her.

@Hunhoff1319 , I changed my time to 8 PM a few weeks ago and it seemed to work immediately for me--my next ohm hours were all 8-9 PM. Then July 19 I changed it again so I wouldn't get anything as indicated above. I have not gotten any OH yet and I think I would have been part of the 2 hr event recently posted so I think it worked for me since that day. Can't say this will be the results for others. I did not want to chance getting something too close to my vacation so as suggested by OC I did it at the time frame indicated. Maybe cutting yours when you take your short trips so your helper does not have to worry is peace of mind.

@Hunhoff1319, yes it was meant for you. However, like @jserramc said, for peace of mine it's safe to just change your schedule a week before you go on vacation.

I had made the original comment because I was assuming that until you actually get a notification that there will be an upcoming OH, you are not automatically participating. As of now, I have never gotten a notification more then about 24 hrs ahead.

• stormysbstormysb Posts: 65Member

I have set my times to 12 am-1am and 11 pm - 12 am. We are going on vacation next week and I will let you know how these settings affect this next week. I figure a dirty grid will not be in use in the hour's everyone is sleeping so we will see. ;) Oh and notifications are left on. To test the notification theory.

@stormysb said:
    Oh and notifications are left on. To test the notification theory. ![]

To me, the wording implies that you'll be included in all OhmHours, no matter what time settings you have, but you will only get notifications for events in the time you selected. That sounds dangerous to me.

• No Pain No GainNo Pain No Gain 93035Posts: 400Member
    edited July 2018

@stormysb That looks like good settings to me. The button on the bottom is turned off, so it doesn't apply to you.