Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

How do I beat a mega goal of 0.001 kwh??

I can turn off all but one of my breakers. How the heck am I supposed to beat that goal of 0.001 kwh? Where did that come from??

Comments

• No Pain No GainNo Pain No Gain 93035Posts: 404Member
    edited June 2018

@Andrea M. Finley-Browne They use your lowest usage in the last 10(?) days at that hour. So, you must've gotten down that low at some point in the last couple weeks. A lot of people, me included, are finding it difficult to make the Mega goal after flipping the switches and getting zero or close to it. I asked @Claudia about this and she said they wouldn't always require a low usage like that, but the idea is to get us to save as much as possible. When I'm not home, there's no way I can beat a Mega goal.

• JoeponlynJoeponlyn Marysville, CAPosts: 2Member
    I was wondering what we would do next. Joe and I killed the AC, turned off most of the lights and sat in the dark.
    For
    One
    Hour....
    How do we beat thay? I suppose I left the fan on so we have that.
  • cwiedcwied San MateoPosts: 130Member

@No Pain No Gain said:
    @Andrea M. Finley-Browne They use your lowest usage in the last 10(?) days at that hour. So, you must've gotten down that low at some point in the last couple weeks.

I can''t find the post any more, but I believe that they actually use your lowest usage in any hour, not just that hour. Also, I think the lookback period is more than 10 days. Many people have to turn off their main breaker (or equivalent) to meet the goal.

@anguye42 or @Claudia Can you post the explanation again about how OhmConnect determines the Mega OhmHour goal? A couple of us have looked for it but can't seem to find it.
    It's not in the FAQs, either, only this: Sometimes it will be expressed as a reduction %, sometimes it will be circuit breaker off, sometimes the target will relate to your home's lowest usage on record.
    Again, the question is how OC determines "your home's lowest usage on record". How far back does OC look? Can you confirm it's the lowest usage for ANY HOUR, rather than the hour of the Mega OhmHour?

• jserramcjserramc Posts: 283Member

If they use it for any hour and you are generating power from your solar at say 6 PM and in a negative while at 8 PM you are using, obviously (as in the first Mega Ohm hour blunder that they wanted us to be negative in the dark) they can't use the 6 PM reading for an 8 PM activity. Or what about high noon? It must be for that specific hour but the question again is, how far back?

• cwiedcwied San MateoPosts: 130Member

@jserramc - the scenario you're talking about is why they introduced the floor of 0 for the Mega OhmHour goal. That's why your Mega goal was 0 when your forecast was lower. They've definitely said it's not for the specific hour(s), and I vaguely recollect somebody saying it was a 30 day look-back, but it may be as much as all the history OhmConnect has for each user.

• brynn-delorimierbrynn-delorimier Posts: 2Member

We flip the power main. Since we do that every time, our forecast is so low there would be no other way to beat it.

I flipped the other day except for my solar at 8 PM and usage was zero. Not sure if I actually generated a small amount then the "use" was negated but either way it was zero flipping all but the solar switches.

• sydney-noteboomsydney-noteboom Posts: 1Member

My forecast is always so low that there is no way for me to beat it, I live in an apartment so flipping the breaker is not an option for me, and i have tried purposely using more power but i really have nothing that uses much power. It kinda sucks to think that im going to have to stop using ohmhour because I use too little energy

even if you can't flip the breaker, you could unplug some of the higher energy hogs like fridge or heater etc. I agree using a lot of power in days preceeding just to boost your forecast seems a bit counter intuitive. Good luck figuring out a method that works for you.

• frankhacfrankhac Sunnyvale, CAPosts: 49Member

@sydney-noteboom, I'm not sure if you're aware of the difference between a Mega OhmHour vs a regular OhmHour. I agree that the goal of a Mega can sometimes be so low that it seems impossible to beat. However, for a regular OH the forecast is based on your past usage. Like @jserramc suggested if you don't use big items like A/C, any computers, unplug your fridge I would think you should be able to beat your regular OH forecast.

So you can simply not bother trying to beat a Mega but can continue to do the regular OH.

• c1courtneyc1courtney El Dorado Hills, CAPosts: 35Member
    edited July 2018

@cwohmcon said:

@No Pain No Gain said:
    @Andrea M. Finley-Browne They use your lowest usage in the last 10(?) days at that hour. So, you must've gotten down that low at some point in the last couple weeks.

I can''t find the post any more, but I believe that they actually use your lowest usage in any hour, not just that hour. Also, I think the lookback period is more than 10 days. Many people have to turn off their main breaker (or equivalent) to meet the goal.

It's two weeks of relevant days (10 weekdays or 4 weekend days.) That is, if it's a weekday then the average of the last 10 weekday's at that hour. If it's weekend, it's the average of the last 4 weekend days at that hour. This looks to also exclude any OhmHours that you had so it can go back further. Here's and FAQ on it https://faq.ohmconnect.com/participating-in-ohmhours/what-is-my-forecast-and-how-do-you-calculate-it

Here's Yesterday's OhmHour for me. Only July 12 and 17th, I had an OhmHours so it skipped that. (They Utility company hasn't provided data for July 18th so it's grey'd out and it's the sum of the 9days/9. If it had (or when it gets) that July 18th day it will be the sum of the 10days/10.

@c1courtney The formula you gave is exactly right for a regular OhmHour, but for the Mega OhmHour that the poster was asking about, it's still not clear how far OC goes back when they figure a Mega OhmHour goal; or if they use any previous OhmHour, or an OhmHour the same as the Mega OhmHour. A few people have asked several times if @Anh, OhmConnect @Claudia or @[email protected] could clarify, but we haven't heard back yet.

• c1courtneyc1courtney El Dorado Hills, CAPosts: 35Member

@No Pain No Gain Ok, I missed that it was the Mega 'Bonus' Goal and was assuming it was the Mega 'OhmHour' Goal. So far I've only seen 0Wh for Bonus Goal. Are people getting values other than 0? Maybe I'm getting 0 because I've got days where solar at me below 0, and that's the bottom they'll go to. If they give me a Mega in the 8pm or later, I won't make the 0 ohm bonus, as I'm not killing my breakers.

@c1courtney I agree that you're probably getting a Mega goal of zero because of your solar. I'm not solar, so I've seen Mega goals between 0.01 and 0.7 . They are usually on the lower side, but for me, they've never been zero. I, too, have to flip the breakers or I don't make my Mega goal, but if I'm home, I do it anyway, just because I want to get as many points as possible. If I'm not home, I cross my fingers and hope the smart plugs are enough for the Mega, but they are always enough for a regular OhmHour.

• ClaudiaClaudia San FranciscoPosts: 95Administrator

@c1courtney, for most MEGA ohmhour hours we look at your lowest recent net-usage for the time slot. if you were producing more than you were using after 8pm this summer you could see a MEGA goal of 0.