Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

status of TP-Link HS105 smart plug is Unknown

I have a TP-Link HS105 smart plug that I added to my OhmConnect account about a month ago. There were no issues with adding it then or how it worked. However, today, I checked my Connect page in OhmConnect and it shows that the status of the smart plug is Unknown and on the Toggle Device slider, it's in the off position. I checked the smart plug manually and saw that it was powered on. I can play around with the Toggle Device slider to switch the smart plug on and off, which updates the status to the proper value. But when I refresh the Connect page or go back to it after clicking off it, the status changes back to Unknown with Toggle Device in the off position.

I tried disconnecting the smart plug from OhmConnect and added it back, but this did not help.

I have no problems using the Kasa app to turn off/on the smart plug and Remote Control is enabled for the smart plug in Kasa.

Has anyone seen a similar issue? The smart plug seems to be working fine from OhmConnect, but it is just not showing the right status on the page.

Comments

• John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamPosts: 527Member

Did you see this thread?

• dslaidslai Posts: 14Member

Yes, saw that thread, but my issue seems to be different in that it is just my Connect web page that shows the status of the smart plug as "Unknown". The smart plug worked fine during a recent Ohmhour where it shut off during the Ohmhour and turned back on after it was over (in the Kasa app, I confirmed that a schedule for this was automatically created).

No one reported a status="Unknown" issue in that other thread, and i couldn't find any other mention of this in the forums or FAQs.

• frankhacfrankhac Sunnyvale, CAPosts: 49Member

I see the same problem. It's not just the HS105 that is unknown. All of my plugs are unknown, I have 2 HS110 in addition to the HS105.

• No Pain No GainNo Pain No Gain 93035Posts: 358Member

@frankhac 2 minutes after posting here, you posted this on another thread: I had an OH last night and for the first time all my smart plugs turned off and back on automatically, including my HS105.
    Are you saying that all of your plugs are showing as "Unknown", yet OC is still remotely shutting them down and turning them back on for an OhmHour?

@No Pain No Gain. Yes, all three are Unknown and the "Toggle Device" state is Off and yes all 3 turned off and on automatically. I really haven't played with the Kasa app. I just use the Kasa app to occasionally monitor usage but I don't schedule things.

When the HS105 didn't turn off, one time I pushed the physical button on the switch and another time used the Kasa app to turn it off after the OH had started. I'm not going to mess around with the Kasa App. When I last checked I believe it was set properly and now that it worked one time, I'm just going to leave it as is and hope it works during the next OH.

@frankhac and @No Pain No Gain, I have the same situation, all my TP-Link plugs seemed to be scheduled properly Thursday night, but upon reading Frank's post, I checked my current status and I have the same situation -- status is "Unknown" and all are toggled off, even though they were all fine Thurs night after the event. I think I'll leave them alone for a bit and see if OC corrects things. What's that acronym . . . sna?? . . .?

• NlindsayNlindsay San Diego Posts: 46Member

My HS105 switched off/on for my last OH on the 5th but it also is showing the status as Unknown. Doesn't bother me really as it is still functional..

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,339Member, Moderator
    edited July 8
    I checked mine this am and 9 were showing as "unknown" and only one looked normal. They could be toggled on and that fixed the status until the page was refreshed. In Kasa everything looks normal.
  • No Pain No GainNo Pain No Gain 93035Posts: 358Member

@John K @frankhac @Nlindsay As long as Kasa has all green lights, I'm not worried about it either. I have a regular OhmHour tomorrow (Monday), so I will be watching what happens and if I get my tokens for the smart plugs or not. News at 11.

• Mary_Sean_KorkosMary_Sean_Korkos Lancaster Ca 93536Posts: 25Member
    Check for software updates. That seemed to correct my unknown issue.
  • SD ChipSD Chip Posts: 122Member

I have 5 TP LINK devices. Mine all show as UNKNOWN on the connect page. Not sure when that started. During yesterdays (7/9) OH, I had 1 not turn off, and at least 2 that did not turn back on after the end of the OHM hour. I wish they were as solid as my older Wiser plugs. They work like clockwork!

@Mary_Sean_Korkos, which software do you mean. I checked on my phone and according to the Kasa app, it's up to date. My phone and computer have the latest software. The Unknown issue seems to be on the browser though so maybe it's the software on OhmConnect's server.

• nlaceynlacey Posts: 18Member

I just noticed today I'm having this issue as well as another. The status of all show as "Unknown", but I also noticed that when I remove one from my OhmConnect account it isn't staying gone. I tried removing one plug so it won't be controlled during this ohm hour(need it temporarily disconnected), but after some time it winds up back on the account(I tried removing it three times before todays ohm hour, but gave up and just managed its power manually during that time). I have checked Kasa for firmware updates, all were up to date already. All plugs did shut off successfully today according to Kasa, but I had to turn one back on manually -- all of them showed a schedule to turn back on at 7:00, except one had a schedule for 7:01. I closed out Kasa and reopened it after 7:00 and noticed all were on except that one. I didn't see its scheduled turn-on listed anymore so I manually turned it on. I didn't think to look at the time on the device to know if perhaps I caught it in the middle of doing its thing, so I suppose it's possible it would have eventually worked. I'll be sure to slow down if it does it again, and make sure it has really had time to work or fail.

Has anyone contacted OhmConnect about this issue and gotten a response? I sent them a message about this, but haven't heard back yet.

@frankhac said:
    @Mary_Sean_Korkos, which software do you mean. I checked on my phone and according to the Kasa app, it's up to date. My phone and computer have the latest software. The Unknown issue seems to be on the browser though so maybe it's the software on OhmConnect's server.

I think she's referring to the firmware of the tp-link device. This can be checked in Kasa so you are probably good to go.

• Mary_Sean_KorkosMary_Sean_Korkos Lancaster Ca 93536Posts: 25Member
    @frankhac ,
    @UkiwiS > @UkiwiS said:
    > I think she's referring to the firmware of the tp-link device. This can be checked in Kasa so you are probably good to go.

Yes, it was the firmware on Kasa app.

Just had an Ohmhour yesterday, and my HS105 worked properly during it. I could see that a schedule was created for it in the Kasa app and the smart plug turned off and on at the right times.

However, I also have a HS110 now (which also has the status = "Unknown" issue), and this one didn't work right during the Ohmhour. I could see that no schedule was created for it in the Kasa app so it never turned off during the Ohmhour. From the Connect page, I can toggle this smart plug to be on/off, and it works fine. I don't know if this issue has anything to do with the status = "Unknown" issue or there's some issue specific to the HS110. Does anyone else's HS110 work as expected for Ohmhours?

I just checked and my status is just like yours. I have an OhmHour tonight so I'll see if everything still works ok

• c1courtneyc1courtney El Dorado Hills, CAPosts: 35Member
    edited July 20

@UkiwiS You may want to do a bit of Redaction on that screenshot - your Phone Numbers are showing ;) FWIW, My Smartplug is showing the Same: Status On, but Toggle Device has it over the Off position.

@c1courtney said:
    @UkiwiS You may want to do a bit of Redaction on that screenshot - your Phone Numbers are showing ;) FWIW, My Smartplug is showing the Same: Status On, but Toggle Device has it over the Off position.

Thanks...Deleted the post...mine now show correctly....

Had an OhmHour today and both my HS105 and HS110 worked as expected during it. They automatically turned off and turned back on at the expected times. I also checked the Connect page during the OhmHour and the status of the smart plugs showed as Off and then later when the OhmHour was over, they showed as On. (There seemed to be about a 1-2 minute delay until when the status on the Connect page got updated.) Hopefully, the major issues with these smart plugs have been ironed out. The Toggle Device position issue still occurs, but it's relatively minor and I'm not concerned about it.

The Toggle Device position issue seems to be fixed now and matches the Status value of my smart plugs.

edited July 27

@dsiai, my TP-Link plugs now seem to indicate correctly. However, the problem has now moved over to my two Wiser plugs -- status unknown and "on" plug shows as "off".

• c1courtneyc1courtney El Dorado Hills, CAPosts: 35Member

Cool, looks like some updates. Yeah, my TP-Link plug is displaying correctly now. Honeywell TStats are still showing the Toggle as Off.

But what's cool is it looks like they added a Timer Icon to indicate that an OhmEvent time has been programmed. Hovering over it shows the scheduled turn off and turn on date and time.

I hate to rain on the parade but most of mine are NOT correct. They're all ON but the "toggle device" position is incorrect, for all but 2 of them. For another the toggle position is correct but the status is "unknown" The Honeywell is correct and has been good for a LONG time other than not triggering for an OhmHour a month or two ago.

Toggling them results in the following error messages:

Despite all this I get tons and tons of tokens when there's an OhmHour and they seem to work fine. :)

• XdatineliaXdatinelia Posts: 26Member
    Reset the time zone in Kasa that fixes the connection errors in Kasa maybe it will fix the ohm part also?
  • Steve ESteve E Posts: 282Member, Moderator

I just recently installed some TP-Link smart plugs in my home and each one of them performed a firmware upgrade as part of the installation process. I also saw a screen capture that someone recently posted of their KASA app and it is very different from mine. You might want to check the firmware on your plugs and make sure you have the latest version of the APP installed.

@Steve E @Xdatinelia @c1courtney @John K @dslai @frankhac @Mary_Sean_Korkos @nlacey @SD Chip @No Pain No Gain @Nlindsay

Here's something that worked for me

Whenever I flip the breaker my devices seem to get a little messed up. I have an OhmHour in about 50 mins so checked out all the plugs in OC and in Kasa. Some had the schedules set in Kasa but some did not. Their status in OC was also not correctly reflected. When trying to set the schedules on those missing them, I was getting an "Time not sync" error.

The trick to correct this was to use the menu at the top left in Kasa > Settings > Location and Time > Time Zone. Set it to some other time zone, anything will do. Then go back to Location and sync it. Then go back and set the time zone back to the correct time zone....and sync it again.

Voila, everything is back to normal in OhmConnect. Status says on. Toggle device works without issue and is reflected in Kasa within seconds.

• SD ChipSD Chip Posts: 122Member

Great info...now I wish they would work on the issue of the Wiser smart plugs not communicating with OC.
    https://forum.ohmconnect.com/discussion/comment/11877#Comment_11877