Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

My first 'Test #OhmHour' - Honeywell Smart WiFi Thermostat didn't shut off

Ok, first day on OC. I choose to do a Test #OhmHour. Had setup my Honeywell RTH9585WF1004/W Wi-Fi Smart Color Programmable Thermostat. Things seemed to connect fine, but it didn't turn off. I waited until 7:01 (it's a 7-8pm) but still hadn't gone to off, so I shut it off, as it's sucking down about 7kW.

Good news is that according to my Wattnode, I only sucked down about 0.45kWh, while I put about 0.75kWh to the grid - for a net -0.3kWh on a 1.334kWh event. So I should get credit for about 1.634kWh. This could have been brought down to < 0.2kWh easily if I was prepared, and made my son get off his gaming PC, but right now it's more important to get things working like I expect them to.

Bad news, I already had to Opt out of tomorrows event, since it was scheduled during my moderate Solar production period, when I don't know if I'll be home to shut the AC off, and I haven't got the wife totally trained up yet... Too bad they put it on the schedule before I had a chance to set my desired Time Window for #OhmHour events.

FWIW, I was already Silver status before the event occurred, by registering a number of things.

Best Answers

Answers

• c1courtneyc1courtney Posts: 23Member

Yeah, I use the App frequently - pre-cooling, checking temps, ... Normally, I would have just bumped up the temp a couple of degrees instead of turning it off.

Just wondering if there might be a particular issue OC has w/ this thermostat. I assume I don't have to turn on the 'If I have a smart device connected ... ' under the 'Times you'd like to Receive #OhmHours' right? If I read that correctly, that would opt me In for all #OhmHour events if I have a connected device, and with Solar I definitely don't want that. Any #OhmHour event that I'm Opt'd In to should get the signal for connected devices right?

• c1courtneyc1courtney Posts: 23Member

@UkiwiS said:

@c1courtney said:
    Yeah, I use the App frequently - pre-cooling, checking temps, ... Normally, I would have just bumped up the temp a couple of degrees instead of turning it off.

Just wondering if there might be a particular issue OC has w/ this thermostat. I assume I don't have to turn on the 'If I have a smart device connected ... ' under the 'Times you'd like to Receive #OhmHours' right? If I read that correctly, that would opt me In for all #OhmHour events if I have a connected device, and with Solar I definitely don't want that. Any #OhmHour event that I'm Opt'd In to should get the signal for connected devices right?

I don't have that option checked and as far as the Tstat is concerned I've only ever had a couple of instances with it not turning off in nearly 2 years. Now, whether the practice hour is supposed to turn it off or not, I don't know. That feature might simply be to check the messaging?

Yeah, I'm guessing you're right, I wasn't sure, so I actually followed through as if I'd be credited for it, but it doesn't look like that's the case.