Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

My first 'Test #OhmHour' - Honeywell Smart WiFi Thermostat didn't shut off

c1courtneyc1courtney El Dorado Hills, CAPosts: 35Member

Ok, first day on OC. I choose to do a Test #OhmHour. Had setup my Honeywell RTH9585WF1004/W Wi-Fi Smart Color Programmable Thermostat. Things seemed to connect fine, but it didn't turn off. I waited until 7:01 (it's a 7-8pm) but still hadn't gone to off, so I shut it off, as it's sucking down about 7kW.

Good news is that according to my Wattnode, I only sucked down about 0.45kWh, while I put about 0.75kWh to the grid - for a net -0.3kWh on a 1.334kWh event. So I should get credit for about 1.634kWh. This could have been brought down to < 0.2kWh easily if I was prepared, and made my son get off his gaming PC, but right now it's more important to get things working like I expect them to.

Bad news, I already had to Opt out of tomorrows event, since it was scheduled during my moderate Solar production period, when I don't know if I'll be home to shut the AC off, and I haven't got the wife totally trained up yet... Too bad they put it on the schedule before I had a chance to set my desired Time Window for #OhmHour events.

FWIW, I was already Silver status before the event occurred, by registering a number of things.

Best Answers

Answers

• c1courtneyc1courtney El Dorado Hills, CAPosts: 35Member

Yeah, I use the App frequently - pre-cooling, checking temps, ... Normally, I would have just bumped up the temp a couple of degrees instead of turning it off.

Just wondering if there might be a particular issue OC has w/ this thermostat. I assume I don't have to turn on the 'If I have a smart device connected ... ' under the 'Times you'd like to Receive #OhmHours' right? If I read that correctly, that would opt me In for all #OhmHour events if I have a connected device, and with Solar I definitely don't want that. Any #OhmHour event that I'm Opt'd In to should get the signal for connected devices right?

@UkiwiS said:

@c1courtney said:
    Yeah, I use the App frequently - pre-cooling, checking temps, ... Normally, I would have just bumped up the temp a couple of degrees instead of turning it off.

Just wondering if there might be a particular issue OC has w/ this thermostat. I assume I don't have to turn on the 'If I have a smart device connected ... ' under the 'Times you'd like to Receive #OhmHours' right? If I read that correctly, that would opt me In for all #OhmHour events if I have a connected device, and with Solar I definitely don't want that. Any #OhmHour event that I'm Opt'd In to should get the signal for connected devices right?

I don't have that option checked and as far as the Tstat is concerned I've only ever had a couple of instances with it not turning off in nearly 2 years. Now, whether the practice hour is supposed to turn it off or not, I don't know. That feature might simply be to check the messaging?

Yeah, I'm guessing you're right, I wasn't sure, so I actually followed through as if I'd be credited for it, but it doesn't look like that's the case.

• Scott RaderScott Rader Posts: 6Member
    edited July 24

I’ve got similar questions, and no support thus far. I have two controllers for two zones in my house. Both using brand new Honeywell 8000 units. Tried to run a practice hour to see if it was all good, and they scheduled it for the hour directly before a 2 hour OC mega, so that was poor planning. Why not just set up a “practice” 5 minutes?? Who needs to a whole hour? I just need to be sure everything does what it’s supposed to without my involvement. I digress.
    Anyway, after trying to be sure it all turned off, we weren’t sure where the goggles on the OC connected page should be. When the two hours was over, one unit turned on, the other did not, and I’m not sure about my TPlink plug on the fridge. So now, after all that, the TPlink shows toggled off and the fridge is running, and the two Honeywell toggles both show on, with both units working normally. I guess we'll see what happens tonight when the ohm hour starts.

So for you, you're saying that the 'Test #OhmHour' actually did trigger your connected devices? I think it's totally unclear of what's expected from a Test OhmHour. I treated it like it was a real OhmHour, but my Honeywells didn't turn off on their own, I manually shut them off. And this proceeded as if it was a real OhmHour like an idiot when it wasn't. They should at least clarify that part, and that the intent is to: Make sure you're getting the txt and email messages, and possibly testing that your Connected devices are working with their controls.

From what it seems to me, it takes a bit more than a few hours to get fully into the system such that they control it during an OhmHour. But that's just my guess based on observation. While I could do remote control almost immediately things weren't ready for prime time with regards to checking out that they get triggered during an OhmHour right away.

FWIW, the 'Status' appears to be showing correctly for people reporting this on the forum, while the 'Toggle' seems to be reporting the opposite of what it is. The one sure way to check if the fridge has power is to open the door. If the light is on, it's got power ;-) Mine, it has some LED's on the front for Water/Ice dispenser as an easy indicator. Plus you can still look at the status on the Kasa App, I take it to be a more reliable source than OCs reporting which has been suspect recently.