Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Ohmhours frequency?

I just joined. Are there more Ohmhours during the summer or is it about the same year round?

Answers

• CKWMCKWM Fremont, CAPosts: 226Member
    edited August 2018

Way more in the summer.

Edit: Correction - just a lil more for me, but it feels like a lot more.

July 2018 (9)
    June 2018 (8)
    May 2018 (6)
    Apr 2018 (4)
    Mar 2018 (6)
    Feb 2018 (6)
    Jan 2018 (6)
    Dec 2017 (7)
    Joined in late Nov 2017

• DarrenTDarrenT Posts: 60Member

I don't know about way more. I have no restrictions on my availability, and I got 10 for July, but only 6 in June.

Looking back over my results, some other months outside of the summer that had a good number of OhmHours were:

March 2018 (8)
    Dec 2017 (7)
    Nov 2017 (7)
    Oct 2017 (10).

The least amount I've had in a month is 3 (Sept 2017) and usually get 5-8 per month. I actually had the same concern when I joined last August, thinking this program would really only be helpful during the summer, but I was pleasantly surprised when I was receiving just as many, if not more, OhmHours through the fall and "winter".

Hope that helps.

• meganhaimbaughmeganhaimbaugh Posts: 1Member
    I joined last week and I had one hour last Thursday and I have another one today. I thought there would be more than one/week? Does this seem right?

Depends on your area.

There are settings in your profile that determine how many ohmhours you are willing to participate in per week (4 max) and when you're willing to participate in an ohmhour (your time availability), but ultimately you're still at the mercy of whether OhmConnect can benefit from having an ohmhour in your area more frequently.

• xodelansetxodelanset Posts: 12Member

I emailed the following to Ohmconnect: "My settings are: 1 ohmhour per week and between 2 P.M. and 6 P.M. Until about 4 months ago, the start of summer, I had been receiving an ohmhour at roughly one per every 10 days or so. Then, they started dropping off and this latest one today is the first in about 6 weeks. Also, I haven't been entered into any MEGA sweepstakes or received any MEGA ohmhours. Could you please let me know what's going on?"

I received the following completely USELESS nonresponse back from "Scott" at Ohmconnect:

"Hi there. The hours when we ask you to reduce your electricity (i.e. #OhmHours) happen when the grid is strained, which is sometimes hard to predict. We make sure you are notified a day in advance when utility companies anticipate the need. Sometimes #OhmHours happen on very hot days, or very cold days, but that means that the grid really needs energy during that time. We send you a notification as soon as we receive information from the energy operators and we always try to let you know with as much heads up as possible. You can usually expect around 1 #OhmHour a week, and on some occasions, maybe 2 a week."

So, I'm posting my question here: can a forum administrator please respond and let me know what's going on?

@xodelanset I think Scott's point was that grid demand drives when and how many OhmHours you can possibly receive. Just because you change your settings to receive X number of OhmHours per week doesn't mean that's how many you'll receive. I've had mine set to 4x per week, but as far as I'm aware that has never happened in the year that I've been participating.

From my experience, I've received precisely one OhmHour starting earlier than 6PM dating back to mid March (4PM on 7/15). Looking back through my results from last year, it looks like you should start seeing an uptick in the number of OhmHours during your availability starting in November / December.

I don't quite understand why you've restricted your availability to a 4-hour window just outside of peak usage times AND only want one OhmHour per week.

@DarrenT said:
    @xodelanset I think Scott's point was that grid demand drives when and how many OhmHours you can possibly receive. Just because you change your settings to receive X number of OhmHours per week doesn't mean that's how many you'll receive. I've had mine set to 4x per week, but as far as I'm aware that has never happened in the year that I've been participating.

I received this nonresponse from Scott before and in almost the exact same words. It did nothing to address any question I had.

@DarrenT said:
    @xodelanset I don't quite understand why you've restricted your availability to a 4-hour window just outside of peak usage times AND only want one OhmHour per week.

I'm trying to minimize the chance that Ohmconnect will toss me an impromptu ohmhour alert that I'd miss due to there being no way at the time it could be communicated to me, such as what happened on 31 March 2018. I live in a rural area where cell phone service is spotty and Ohmconnect will not send alerts to a landline. I went through this also with Scott and received a similar useless nonresponse back from him about this problem also. While the buddy program was working, I tried to arrange for my buddy to let me know about such impromptu ohmhour alerts but that didn't work out either. Regarding the ohmhour window, I chose the hours that SCE had marked as peak usage when they had their save power day program active.

@xodelanset Sounds like this program may not be for you then. Even if you did get one ohmhour per week, unless you have massive forecasts, I don't see the payout being worth the effort, especially if it's causing you so much frustration. I think most that are participating are looking for as many ohmhours as they can get in order to build up their streak faster.

In the year I've been participating, I think I've gotten 1-2 ohmhours that were the same day I got the notice. I don't know how notifications via landline would improve anything unless you don't have internet access.

@DarrenT said:
    ... I don't know how notifications via landline would improve anything unless you don't have internet access.

Landline service is not spotty where I live. Cell phone service is spotty where I live. Sending notifications to a landline will all but guarantee that I'll receive them. Internet access or lack thereof is immaterial since, like I suspect many other people, I have my computer off when I'm not using it.

• John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamPosts: 585Member
    edited September 2018

@xodelanset:
    There is an option whereby your home phone CAN receive texts, as long as you have internet service. MagicJack is a VOIP phone option for about $30-$35/yr, and it no longer requires a computer to be running. In addition to plugging your regular phone into the MJ hardware, there is a mobile app that allows you to receive texts as if it were a mobile phone, and and answer home phone calls wherever you have internet svc. The phone svc isn't perfect, primarily because of a 1.5 second transmission delay on voices, but, for the price and features, I long ago canceled my traditional phone line. I think they still offer a free trial.

You say, "I chose the hours that SCE had marked as peak usage when they had their save power day program active." I'm not sure what time of year SCE was talking about, but with the increase in solar production, the peak demand from utility facilities now comes just after dusk (when solar contribution drops) and that happens at different times during the year. Your chosen time frame for participation may be fine for winter and early spring, but not so good for summer and early fall.

You seem to imply that you think OhmConnect chooses when to call an OhmHour, but that is not the case. CAISO decides when additional production facilities are required to meet demand and they choose what additional plants should be brought online, or, alternative, what Demand-Response program should be contracted to reduce the demand. OC has no control over when, or how often, they will be called upon other than the price they bid for their services in a given area.

• KolchakKolchak FresnoPosts: 41Member

It's been over two months since my last #OhmHour. My last one was on August 3. I'm disappointed that I didn't receive any more while we broke a local record of 30 straight days of at least 100 degrees (in Fresno). That record ended in early August which was followed by a couple of weeks in the upper 90's so it was plenty hot during the month of August.
    I had received ten #OhmHours between June 22 to August 3. I guess the grid has been very stable my area. I'm looking forward to continuing my streak!