Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

smart plug on fridge

I just bought a smart plug and connected it with my refrigerator and tested it out with my network. I was able to turn it on and off with the app or on the webpage. When I pushed my refrigerator back against the wall in its cubby I lost connection and my fridge was unable to connect to the internet.
So I pulled my fridge back out again and the smart plug become responsive again.
I thought the point of a smart plug was to control your plug with wireless connection. Am I doing something wrong or do I have to drag my fridge away from its cubby every time I want turn it off?

Thanks

Best Answer

• maestra-danielamaestra-daniela Posts: 2Member
    Accepted Answer
    Thank you for your comments!

UkiwiS I definitely think that’s the problem. The cubby area that my fridge lives in keeps the weak signal from connecting.

John I’m going to give your idea a try and use an extension cord to bring the smart plug out of that cubby area so my WiFi can better connect.

Answers

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,357Member, Moderator
    It sounds to me like your wifi signal isn't strong enough in that location.
  • John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamPosts: 540Member

I guess your fridge is effectively blocking the wi-fi signal. You could try a different location for your router, or use an extension cord from the outlet to the top of the fridge; put the smartplug on top of the fridge plugged into the extension and then plug the fridge into the smartplug.