Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Ugh, TAXES

I just filled out my W9. Does anyone know at what % this will be taxed? I'm trying to determine how screwed I'm going to be come tax time.

Thanks.

Answers

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,533Member, Moderator
    > @killgrrl said:
    > I just filled out my W9. Does anyone know at what % this will be taxed? I'm trying to determine how screwed I'm going to be come tax time.
    >
    > Thanks.

OhmConnect deduct nothing and it depends entirely on your other earnings, deductions etc etc. I'm guessing you wouldn't care to share that info!
  • dthatcher7dthatcher7 Posts: 25Member

On a 1099-MISC you'll have to pay self-employment taxes which are 15.3% of the total 1099-MISC amount on top of the increased overall taxable amount you are paying anyway.

• cwiedcwied San MateoPosts: 121Member

I'm not sure that participating in OhmConnect necessarily qualifies as a "trade or business." As such, it might be possible to just treat it as "other income," in which case there would be no self-employment tax on it. If you do pay self-employment tax, you would be entitled to deduct any expenses related to the business. That might allow you to offset some of the exta taxes.

• dthatcher7dthatcher7 Posts: 25Member

Yeah I think you are right. OhmConnect could change their rewards program at any time. I have no legal right to receive cash for my participation.

• kriste11kriste11 Posts: 2Member
    The taxes I have to pay on this just basically wiped out my earnings. Feels like a complete waste now.