Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

New Prize Ohm Hours

I saw the Facebook video about the new prize ohm hours. You don't get any points for these. All you get is an entry into the prize drawing. Me, personally...I would rather have the points. I think users should be given the option during one of these prize ohm hours to choose either points or a prize drawing entry.

Comments

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,556Member, Moderator

@thetellesf

Here's the detail:
    https://ohmconnect.com/blog-post/the-ohmhours-may-slow-down-but-the-fun-doesnt-stop-this-season

I think OC is taking their "earnings" from these "Prize" OhmHours and distributing them via the way of the bigger prizes. Technically they're probably still returning 80%, it's the way they're doing it that is different.

Now, we're all being treated equally in terms of these "Prize" OhmHours. For these events there's no benefit for being a large saver or for having a large streak. The status quo remains for the normal OhmHours and hopefully the points for every OhmHour returns next summer.

I think this might be the writing on the wall!

• I would also rather have the points. I do not feel incentivized to save electricity but I assume I will have to participate to keep my streak.

• nlaceynlacey Posts: 25Member
    edited October 2018

Thanks for the link, @UkiwiS, I came to the forums to look into this topic as I received a survey question asking if I'd like to have ohm hours with prizes instead of points. I answered emphatically "no" to that idea(though I may have been too hasty). OhmConnect surely has a tough job with how to maintain relevance and interest during the winter, as point rewards can become quite insignificant. This in fact caused some annoyance last year as I felt I needed to protect my streak for months on end with little room for error and equally small payouts, just so that I'd be ready for the summer. A relative with no real streak regularly made 40 cents per Ohm Hour last winter, a level which was very hard to maintain interest when there was no guarantee of future payouts. This summer offered a strong reminder why I liked Ohm Connect, but the winter doldrums will surely come again. OhmConnect's position during the winter is likely made more difficult from members like myself who resent that California's government intentionally drives up the price of power, leaving us to play games with our utilities to get some back. Taking more time to consider the topic of prizes than I did while answering the survey, I still think my answer is "no", but less strongly than before purely because it must be difficult to find a good, one-size-fits-all solution that encourages participation with terrible payouts during winter. I am curious about the legality of all this, however. As far as I know, private lotteries and raffles are illegal in California except for charitable purposes; while we're not purchasing tickets in the traditional sense we are making a valuable exchange for a chance to win; surely this must be a gray-area at best.

• nlacy, That makes sense. This is my first winter with ohm connect.

• hmbkatehmbkate Posts: 1Member

I too wish there was a way to opt out of the prize drawing and get my points, hopefully they introduce this when these hours actually start happening. The points (small as they may be in the winter) is the entire reason I bother with this at all, if that's gone, I'm sure I will eventually tire of not getting any kind of reward for sitting entirely in the dark for an hour (I live in a 1 bedroom apt so my energy use is minimal at best, ~.3kwh for any given evening hour, so the only real way for me to participate is to shut of my circuit breaker). This sounds like it's time to cash out and just start ignoring the ohm hours if there is no reward other than being entered into a drawing with 1000+ other people.

• Brianne BellBrianne Bell Posts: 1Member
    I’d also like to get the normal points rather than be entered into a draw. It disincentives me to want to try. Hopefully they’ll let us choose which we prefer!
  • CKWMCKWM Fremont, CAPosts: 232Member
    I honestly believe these survey results are either:

1. Not being used to help drive decision-making, since very few people have supported prize drawings. I think this last survey asking us about this was likely priming us for this new change that OC needed to make anyways.

OR

2. Timed perfectly in that the new influx of OC users just starting (who don't make very much starting out), are more willing to give up very little for a chance at a very large price drawing.

Makes sense either way, but older users have to just go with the flow.
  • Steve ESteve E Posts: 329Member, Moderator

Not to state the obvious, but they can't offer individual the option to get points or be in the drawing for a Prize OhmHour. If they were to do that, how would it be possible for them to offer the level of prizes that they are proposing when having to concurrently pay users who opted out their points. I am personally not a fan of the Prize concept as it to me seems to discourage any real commitment to saving energy when there are so many ways to gain access to the drawing just as long as you come in under your target. It also seems to me that it is kind of the sacrifice of many for the gain of a few in regards to the "rewards" for participation.

• VenMVenM Posts: 6Member

Does anyone know how Prize Ohm Hours will impact your streak? Since you only need to do one of three things to be entered for a prize, would hitting any one of those three goals keep your streak going (even if you didn't meet your goal)?

@VenM said:
    Does anyone know how Prize Ohm Hours will impact your streak? Since you only need to do one of three things to be entered for a prize, would hitting any one of those three goals keep your streak going (even if you didn't meet your goal)?

They will work the same way as MEGA #OhmHours where you have to come under your projected usage to retain your streak. If you don't meet your goal (or any of the other criteria for being entered in the drawing) then you will not get into the drawing, but as long as you used less than your projected / forecast usage then your streak will remain intact

• VenMVenM Posts: 6Member

@Steve E said:

@VenM said:

They will work the same way as MEGA #OhmHours where you have to come under your projected usage to retain your streak. If you don't meet your goal (or any of the other criteria for being entered in the drawing) then you will not get into the drawing, but as long as you used less than your projected / forecast usage then your streak will remain intact

Thanks for the clarification, Steve.

• Amber LambAmber Lamb Kern CountyPosts: 27Member

I was only offered one megahour since the start of them, so I could not qualify for the drawing. Wondering if I will even get a chance at this, frankly in the winter when my usage is low, I am not making much off an ohm hour anyway.

@Amber Lamb said:
    I was only offered one megahour since the start of them, so I could not qualify for the drawing. Wondering if I will even get a chance at this, frankly in the winter when my usage is low, I am not making much off an ohm hour anyway.

@Amber Lamb There's multiple other ways to qualify for these special prizes. A referral, or having a smart device switch off during an OhmHour will also qualify you. Even though we don't earn as much during the winter it's still a great time to work on increasing that streak bonus. We'll reap what we sow when summer rolls around again! :)

• Mary_Sean_KorkosMary_Sean_Korkos Lancaster Ca 93536Posts: 44Member

So heres my question,
    I have already qualified for the current prize. ( eco retreat / Costa Rica, which I am not really excited about) Now we have another prize #OhmHour (10/2/18 Friday) which will likely qualify for same prize period. If (when) we qualify again, will this give a 2nd enrty for eco retreat, or will my only reward be keeping my streak alive? Which by the way, my streak 36 before my first prize hour, did not increase, so please remind me, what is our incentive again?
    To donate our earings into a prize pool with small odds of winning?
    Tell me how this makes sense for the majority of us who wont win anything dispite our massive energy reduction, and effort to extend our streak in suspended animation?
    I do understand each prize hour beaten is getting closer to qualifying for the 100 grand giveaway. Again, odds!,!

edited November 2018

@Mary_Sean_Korkos

The details on the Prize OhmHours is here:
    https://faq.ohmconnect.com/participating-in-ohmhours/what-are-prize-ohmhours

I think it's one entry per drawing but it does say "you have to beat your Prize goal 5 times" which sounds very specific. In my case, I've got two stars for the draw without having a "Prize" OhmHour via a couple of well timed referrals reaching silver so that directly contradicts the quote above.

It says the following regarding streaks:

So if you didn't get credit for your streak then I'd say that's a bug and you should contact support about it. If you do, please report back here. @samklee @Anh, OhmConnect should be able to look into that as well.

• No Pain No GainNo Pain No Gain 93035Posts: 404Member
    edited November 2018

My 1st Prize OH is tomorrow and the only reason I'm participating is to keep my streak. I'll bet if we were given the option to have points or a chance at a prize drawing, the overwhelming response would be for points. I haven't seen ANYONE say - Oh yippee! I love the idea of being in a drawing where someone will get all of what the rest of us worked for. ZERO incentive to do more than the minimum. I feel ripped off after saving energy only to have OhmConnect keep my share and buy a prize for someone else. Winters are a low time of year for earnings and this does NOT make it better.
    I wonder if we will get Buddy points and Buddy tokens or if OC will keep the Buddy points, too. I guess we'll find out...

• Mary_Sean_KorkosMary_Sean_Korkos Lancaster Ca 93536Posts: 44Member

@No Pain No Gain
    Exactly my point.

And heres another question ....
    Is there an option to take the cash equivalent for the eco trip to Costa Ric in the unlikely event of my name being the winner?

@Mary_Sean_Korkos Sorry to be the pessimist, but I don't think you'll have to worry about what to do if you win a trip to Costa Rica.

@No Pain No Gain - I have to say that I am personally not a fan of the Prize Ohm Hour format, however I am a fan of OhmConnect and if this is what they need to do to keep users engaged during the lull of winter then I will support it. I have made more from this program during the summer hours than I would ever have anticipated. I have probably had somewhere in the region of three months of our electricity paid for by using the program this year, and I for one am more than satisfied with that for my yearly return.

edited November 2018

@'Steve E' I didn't say I wasn't a fan of OC. I just look forward to seeing points on my dashboard, even if the number is low. I was asked in a survey if I wanted to give away my points for a chance in a drawing. I said NO.

In an email from OhmConnect: "Remember, for Prize #OhmHours: if you beat the goal, you'll be entered to win the next prize. Find out what we're giving away next."

This is no mystery... What they're giving away next is >>> My #OhmHour points! :D

• jserramcjserramc Posts: 283Member

I just completed my first prize OH (beating the forecast). My streak was 66. It is still 66. So if as I read in above posts, one is to have their streak not affected, doesn't it mean my bonus should now be 67? I'll contact OC on Monday but will look for replies to this and how others have interpreted this.

@jserramc - As I understood the "rules" your streak should be increased as it would be with any other #OhmHour. I am yet to have a Prize #OhmHour personally, so I cannot say when they actually increment the streaks as no points are actually awarded for a Prize #OhmHour

edited November 2018

@jserramc Here's what the faq says: (I didn't cut the 3rd bullet point off. They didn't finish what they were going to write about the status.) :/

What about streaks and status?

• During Prize #OhmHours, you won't earn points for beating your forecast, but these #OhmHours do count toward your streak and your status.
    • To maintain your streak, you just have to beat your forecast (the average energy you've been using over the last 10 days) during a Prize #OhmHour.
    • When we calculate your status level

Why is this thread in "Product Recommendations"???? :s

I got buddy tokens (not points). That seems so far to be the only perk.

edited November 2018

That's messed up. I got 100 Buddy tokens for both of us saving 100%. My Buddy had a regular OhmHour (for points) and I had the Prize OhmHour (ripoff). I got NO Buddy points and NO tokens (500) for flipping my breakers. Lose-Lose. There is no win in this except for OC keeping points from a bunch of people who don't want to participate in this Prize OhmHour thing. The prizes are probably donated to get the publicity, in which case there is no cost to OC and they are keeping points and making a profit off this.

@jserramc - My streak did not go up, either. For me, this was a total waste of an OhmHour.

@jserramc said:
    I got buddy tokens (not points). That seems so far to be the only perk.

@jserramc - The Prize #OhmHours "perk" is that if you meet the set goal (or qualify via one of the other criteria such as a referral or having OhmConnect turn off a device) then you are entered into the drawing for the "prize" that has been indicated for the Prize #OhmHour. For Prize #OhmHours there are no actual points awarded to the participants.

so the above post saying participating in a prize hour " do count toward your streak and status" seems it does not change...time for a clarification from OC...and since the timeline is now two weeks for entries probably means my chance of a big prize is worse than the summer promo. Fingers crossed...

• DarrenTDarrenT Posts: 60Member

Can confirm, streak did not go up after the prize ohmhour "results" were calculated. Not sure if this is an error or intentional. I've had two thus far, unfortunately I don't remember what happened for the first one with respect to streak, but the most recent one certainly didn't do anything.

@DarrenT said:
    Can confirm, streak did not go up after the prize ohmhour "results" were calculated. Not sure if this is an error or intentional. I've had two thus far, unfortunately I don't remember what happened for the first one with respect to streak, but the most recent one certainly didn't do anything.

@Anh, OhmConnect
    @[email protected]
    @Claudia
    @samklee

Can someone please confirm whether users' Streak should contine to increase with Prize OhmHours?