Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Unplugging my laptop for an ohm hour destroyed it

I unplugged my laptop for the last ohm hour and It killed it. It was plugged into a power bar with other devices. There was a big spark when I pulled the plug and now the computer is completley unresponsive. There goes everything I ever made with ohm hours plus a lot more...

Best Answers

• missingyapok-yahoomissingyapok-yahoo Posts: 19Member
    Accepted Answer

I got a new laptop with the same charger and the charger is not the problem. The laptop is still dead.

• missingyapok-yahoomissingyapok-yahoo Posts: 19Member
    Accepted Answer

@nlacey said:
    As John K says, it is unlikely to have killed the laptop. A few things you might try: If the battery is removable, unplug the laptop, pop the battery out for a minute then put it back and try to start it; If it does not start, then hook the charger up, wait a couple minutes, then try again. If you still have trouble, you can test the voltage coming from the charger with a multi-meter(a simple multi-meter can be found for ~$6 at a store like Harbor Freight and instructions for this can be found easily with a web-search; while this is a relatively safe task, it is best to find someone experienced with testing live electrical wires if you can). Expected output voltage will be listed on a label on the charger. .

I have my laptop apart. I figured I might as well try what you suggested. It worked. I unhooked the battery from the mother board as well as the power jack, reconnected them and it works. Thanks for helping me fix my laptop!

Answers

• I realize now I should have switched the power bar off first before unplugging it.

• John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamPosts: 581Member

@missingyapok-yahoo, your action should not have harmed any battery-powered laptop made in the last 15 years. At most you might have harmed the charger plugged into the power strip. Are you sure you didn't just trip a surge protector on the power strip? Is the battery functional?

• nlaceynlacey Posts: 25Member

As John K says, it is unlikely to have killed the laptop. A few things you might try: If the battery is removable, unplug the laptop, pop the battery out for a minute then put it back and try to start it; If it does not start, then hook the charger up, wait a couple minutes, then try again. If you still have trouble, you can test the voltage coming from the charger with a multi-meter(a simple multi-meter can be found for ~$6 at a store like Harbor Freight and instructions for this can be found easily with a web-search; while this is a relatively safe task, it is best to find someone experienced with testing live electrical wires if you can). Expected output voltage will be listed on a label on the charger. .

• @John K said:
    @missingyapok-yahoo, your action should not have harmed any battery-powered laptop made in the last 15 years. At most you might have harmed the charger plugged into the power strip. Are you sure you didn't just trip a surge protector on the power strip? Is the battery functional?

The battery had some charge but the computer is completely unresponsive now. The power strip works fine