Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Unplugging my laptop for an ohm hour destroyed it

I unplugged my laptop for the last ohm hour and It killed it. It was plugged into a power bar with other devices. There was a big spark when I pulled the plug and now the computer is completley unresponsive. There goes everything I ever made with ohm hours plus a lot more...

Best Answers

  • missingyapok-yahoomissingyapok-yahoo Posts: 19Member
    Accepted Answer

    I got a new laptop with the same charger and the charger is not the problem. The laptop is still dead.

  • missingyapok-yahoomissingyapok-yahoo Posts: 19Member
    Accepted Answer

    @nlacey said:
    As John K says, it is unlikely to have killed the laptop. A few things you might try: If the battery is removable, unplug the laptop, pop the battery out for a minute then put it back and try to start it; If it does not start, then hook the charger up, wait a couple minutes, then try again. If you still have trouble, you can test the voltage coming from the charger with a multi-meter(a simple multi-meter can be found for ~$6 at a store like Harbor Freight and instructions for this can be found easily with a web-search; while this is a relatively safe task, it is best to find someone experienced with testing live electrical wires if you can). Expected output voltage will be listed on a label on the charger. .

    I have my laptop apart. I figured I might as well try what you suggested. It worked. I unhooked the battery from the mother board as well as the power jack, reconnected them and it works. Thanks for helping me fix my laptop!

Answers

  • I realize now I should have switched the power bar off first before unplugging it.

  • John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamPosts: 581Member

    @missingyapok-yahoo, your action should not have harmed any battery-powered laptop made in the last 15 years. At most you might have harmed the charger plugged into the power strip. Are you sure you didn't just trip a surge protector on the power strip? Is the battery functional?

  • nlaceynlacey Posts: 25Member

    As John K says, it is unlikely to have killed the laptop. A few things you might try: If the battery is removable, unplug the laptop, pop the battery out for a minute then put it back and try to start it; If it does not start, then hook the charger up, wait a couple minutes, then try again. If you still have trouble, you can test the voltage coming from the charger with a multi-meter(a simple multi-meter can be found for ~$6 at a store like Harbor Freight and instructions for this can be found easily with a web-search; while this is a relatively safe task, it is best to find someone experienced with testing live electrical wires if you can). Expected output voltage will be listed on a label on the charger. .

  • @John K said:
    @missingyapok-yahoo, your action should not have harmed any battery-powered laptop made in the last 15 years. At most you might have harmed the charger plugged into the power strip. Are you sure you didn't just trip a surge protector on the power strip? Is the battery functional?

    The battery had some charge but the computer is completely unresponsive now. The power strip works fine

Sign In or Register to comment.