Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Forecast doesn't account for time change?

I'm pretty sure I just got screwed by OhmConnect on the most recent OhmHour. I lost my 44 OhmHour streak (Streak Shield didn't activate either).

The problem lies with that OhmConnect doesn't appear to account for daylight savings changes when building your forecast. I had an OhmHour on 11/6 from 4–5PM with a goal of -0.424 kWh (I am a solar user). The time changed on 11/4 and I used to get sun on my panels in the 4–5PM hour before the DST change, I now don't get sun on my panels during 4–5PM. I shut off my entire house at the breaker and only managed to get -0.016 kWh for the hour. As I saw that I wasn't going to make it, I bought the Streak Shield card during the OhmHour but apparently it was too late.

I'm quite disappointed… I don't know what I could have done differently (other than buying a Streak Shield sooner). I was doomed to fail. Anyone else have experience with this?

Answers

• jserramcjserramc Posts: 335Member

voice your concerns directly to OC, you may get assistance. Don't do it on this forum, use the help section.

• John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamPosts: 585Member

@Tamal said:
    I'm pretty sure I just got screwed by OhmConnect … I don't know what I could have done differently (other than buying a Streak Shield sooner).

As a solar user, you should have adjusted your time availability. I would recommend you never set your participation time to include any period with significant solar generation. There are plenty of threads discussing this.

If OC adjusted for DST it would be a nightmare. Everybody would be confused and complaining.

• TamalTamal Posts: 7Member

@John K said:
    As a solar user, you should have adjusted your time availability. I would recommend you never set your participation time to include any period with significant solar generation. There are plenty of threads discussing this.

If OC adjusted for DST it would be a nightmare. Everybody would be confused and complaining.

It is not a period with significant solar generation. The threads mentioning this recommend starting to accept #OhmHour at 4PM, which is when I received mine.

The issue and question is the impact of DST change on an #OhmHour forecast.

• John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamPosts: 585Member

@Tamal said:
    It is not a period with significant solar generation.

Any hour for which your prior avg usage is negative has significant generation or else it wouldn't be negative. Anytime your forecast is negative, you are at risk; clouds can prevent generation and even with your breakers off, there is nothing you can do. As daylight hours lessen or increase, you must constantly adjust your availability. It is not up to OC to protect your streak, it's up to you. CAISO calculates savings based on current time of day numbers, so OC can't adjust them.