Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Streak Shield: Can it be purchased after a streak loss?

We just lot an AMAZING streak somehow (like seriously, we're in disbelief that our energy use was over our forecast considering the amount we were using at the time), and I have enough points to buy the Streak Shield. All this time, I thought you had to buy it when you needed it, but after going to get it I realized the wording makes it sound like you need to buy it prior. How does it work? Are you just supposed to guess that you may go over on a certain ohm hour and grab it ahead of time just in case? Is there any way to buy it after the fact to bring back the streak?

Answers

• cwiedcwied San MateoPosts: 137Member

Unfortunately you need to buy it before. You could try begging them to see if you can get a break because you were confused about the rules.

• John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamPosts: 585Member

@chistre, you buy it and it is held in reserve and applied only if you need it. You can't buy it after an event. Have you checked the numbers? What were the forecast and actual? What was the time of the event? Please tell me you are not another solar user who was messed up by the change from DST.

• christrechristre Posts: 10Member
    John K, our forecast was something totally easy, around .92 kwh, and we just went over it. I checked SDGEs website which gives us breakdown in increments of 15 minutes, and somehow we used half our forecast in just the first fifteen minutes, but we can’t figure out what could have possibly used that energy. That one 15 minute period was somehow the second highest period in our whole day, and we were actively conserving energy during it! 😩
    It was a 7-8pm ohm, and no, we do not have solar.
  • John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamPosts: 585Member
    edited November 2018

@christre, if you used approximately .4kWh of energy in 15 minutes, that's at a rate of 1.6 kW and there aren't many things in most houses capable of that:

• Resistance heating devices including water heaters (did anyone take a long shower just before the OH), electric ovens and dryers.
    • Microwave oven
    • Pool pumps
    • Vacuum cleaner
    • Air Conditioner
    • Electric Vehicle Charger
    • Grow lights for somebody's grow house.

You said you checked usage with SDG&E. Did you by any chance look at the first 15 minutes of the next hour? If that is low, it might point to a clock being incorrect that you used to judge the start/stop times. If you share a property with other residences (apartment, condo, or guest house on an estate), perhaps things are on your meter that you were not aware of.

Finally, although its a longshot, I guess you could have a faulty meter. If you can't figure out what happened, Id suggest asking SDG&E to come out and check the meter.

• jserramcjserramc Posts: 334Member

I bought an opt out several months ago and it now is gone. I asked OC about it, they said nothing offset it (I did not go over forecast) so it was eliminated. (After discussing it with OC, they reinstated my tokens for that purchase) So it appears you buy an opt out after the fact but the Streak shield is BEFORE an event. Not sure if you have both in play do they counter each other...

• jserramcjserramc Posts: 334Member

Update: Got an answer from OC--Yes two cards can be played for the same event. Kind of long answer which I'm happy to share. Please advise.

Well, I guess losing my amazing streak couldn’t have happened at a more perfect time since they’re resetting everyone to 20 anyway. At least I can stop feeling devastated now. 😂