Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Updates to streaks and status

Comments

• SrelazSrelaz FullertonPosts: 115Member

@Gregory said:

@Steeltrap said:
    @UkiwiS Since we already announced this event, we will keep it but if there is interest, I’ll be happy to have another session at a later date and at a later time. Thanks to all for these direct comments - I’ll be explaining the why behind these changes and will try to provide a response to some of this tough feedback. - Cadir @ OhmConnect

I think people understand the "why" behind these events, but think there would have been much better options instead of punishing your best/most consistent energy savers.

Yeah....165 in a row streak, 825% bonus after last night's OH. 277.79kWh saved since I started the program. 2 year streak in the making about to get slashed. I feel a little betrayed.

• Sophie, OhmConnectSophie, OhmConnect Posts: 10Member, Administrator

We're on Facebook! If you have questions, join the conversation: https://www.facebook.com/ohmconnectenergy/videos/265914894112799/

• @Sophie, OhmConnect
    Now that we are not getting streak bonus payouts, where is all that money going?
  • I don’t think so. If they were paying out more than they were making they would have made this change earlier.
    And even if in the last month it became that way, I’m guessing our bonus pay they are not paying is no where near what they had to pay out of pocket.

> @Steve E said:
    > @Wendy Fitzcharles said:
    > @Sophie, OhmConnect
    > Now that we are not getting streak bonus payouts, where is all that money going?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I think you will find that they were paying out more money than they were getting in with the streak bonuses and that is the reason for the cap.
  • Steve ESteve E Posts: 329Member, Moderator

@Wendy Fitzcharles - I personally know that this has been an ongoing discussion for a while and I myself and several of the other moderators had brought up the sustainability of the streak bonuses a considerable time ago. It seems with the success of the MEGA OhmHours more and more people began to accrue larger streaks which rapidly brought the issue to a head and as a result we are where we are today.

For all the flack Ohm Connect are deservedly getting for the capping of streaks now and how the changes are being done, I will give them credit for not implementing the changes during the MEGA season and at least people were able to reap the benefits of their streaks for some very sizable payouts.

• I just have a hard time believing that OHM would be going into the hole for that long of a time paying out bonus payments.
    I’ve thought for a long time it wasn’t substantialable and expected it to change.

With that big of a change it would appear there should be extra money. 5 months ago my bonus was bigger than it will be now.

@Wendy Fitzcharles said:
    I just have a hard time believing that OHM would be going into the hole for that long of a time paying out bonus payments.
    I’ve thought for a long time it wasn’t substantialable and expected it to change.

With that big of a change it would appear there should be extra money. 5 months ago my bonus was bigger than it will be now.

My own current streak is at 152 with one pending OhmHour, so that would be a 765% bonus.

I recently had an Ohm Hour where I got 65 points and my streak bonus was 491 points. That is a bonus payment of 7.5 times the base payment. Multiply that by an ever increasing number of users that had ever increasing streaks and it's not too difficult to see the scenario play out where the streak bonuses were rapidly growing and growing in total cost.

• I agree with all of that.

My point is there should be extra money. One would assume with more users they are bidding higher amounts and getting paid more, so that would take care of the straight payouts and the double we can earn now, and now that they are not paying out huge streaks to anyone I would just like to hear from them what’s going to happen with that.
  • OhmaOhma Posts: 2Member
    I worked hard on my 76 hour streak with a reduction of 99%. We live in a small home and the few cents I’ll make during ohm hours will no longer be worth the trouble. My family begged me to quit when you capped my savings at $20 in the summer, Then again when you stopped paying our buddy bonus and started prize ohm hours. Disappointed and done.
  • cwiedcwied San MateoPosts: 131Member
    edited November 2018

If this means a flatter payout instead of taking the money earned from newer members and distributing it to older members, I'm happy with this change. Uncapped streaks are kind of like a pyramid scheme - the first people in see greater rewards than newer members. I'm assuming that the streak bonuses were funded from the same payout pool and not funded by OhmConnect, though. I guess we'll find out when the cap goes into effect.

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,558Member, Moderator

@cwied said:
    If this means a flatter payout instead of taking the money earned from newer members and distributing it to older members, I'm happy with this change. Uncapped streaks are kind of like a pyramid scheme - the first people in see greater rewards than newer members. I'm assuming that the streak bonuses were funded from the same payout pool and not funded by OhmConnect, though. I guess we'll find out when the cap goes into effect.

I know you said "kind of like a pyramid scheme" but it is NOT comparable in any way, shape or form!
    https://www.investopedia.com/insights/what-is-a-pyramid-scheme/

• samkleesamklee Posts: 71Member, Administrator, Moderator

@cwied said:

I think I understand your sentiment -- that the users who enter the system earlier (and participate consistently) are compensated larger amounts than newer users. But as UkiwiS already pointed out, technically we are nothing like a pyramid scheme.

• @Sabreena said:
    Seriously disappointed. I worked over a year to get a 140 streak for a 700% bonus and now it's being reduced to 100% and no incentive to keep it going except to not get it knocked down to 50%? Wow. I know I didn't vote for that option and I can't imagine anyone else did. Clearly you are going to lose a lot of users if something isn't done. I know it isn't feasible to do 5% forever but how about 1%, that way we'd at least feel like we are getting something for extending our streak? Surely there has to be some way to cut costs and still take care of the people who are saving the company the most energy and keep them from leaving?

Thats what I voted for... the 1% to continue to grow.. I added the comment to please not take the streak building away - it was only incentive for super low energy users. The poll didnt matter; they were going to make the change they wanted regardless. Maybe they will see the light and change it to that after realizing this is greatly negatively impacting a large number of people.

• Jeff MellingerJeff Mellinger Lake ElsinorePosts: 11Member

This move is a massive increase to their profit margin. Same energy saved, no huge payouts, same money coming in from the utility companies. To add to that, prize ohm hours, average of $5000 payout in prizes, same money coming in from the utilities. I'm sure the utility companies are paying far more the five grand for the energy saved.
    Pretty nice upcoming Christmas gift for the staff I'm sure. I guess we're all looking like Santa Claus this year since we're the real gift giver.

• stormysbstormysb Posts: 66Member

Did anyone make the Facebook discussion? Can someone give us a summary maybe on that? ;)

@stormysb
    It's probably easier for you to watch it yourself:
    https://www.facebook.com/ohmconnectenergy/videos/265914894112799/

• cwiedcwied San MateoPosts: 131Member

@samklee said:

@cwied said:

I think I understand your sentiment -- that the users who enter the system earlier (and participate consistently) are compensated larger amounts than newer users. But as UkiwiS already pointed out, technically we are nothing like a pyramid scheme.

I didn't mean to imply that OhmConnect was literally a pyramid scheme, but if the way the rewards are calculated is that 80% goes to users and 20% is kept by the company, isn't the effect of the bonuses to transfer money from new users to the earlier users (i.e., those with higher streaks)? Are the bonuses paid out of OhmConnect's pocket, or are they funded by the demand-response payment? Given the quote I saw that OhmConnect's payouts were pretty close to revenues, I assumed they came out of the revenue pool.

• NuShrikeNuShrike Posts: 10Member

So the changes just went live?

I'd assume I should wait until tomorrow to see status changes, as this doesn't make sense:

@NuShrike said:

I'd assume I should wait until tomorrow to see status changes, as this doesn't make sense:

It will probably reflect correctly when you get your next set of results

• Sabreena Sabreena Posts: 89Member
    edited November 2018

@NuShrike said:

It will probably reflect correctly when you get your next set of results

Mine says the same, I'm not updated to Diamond status yet but they sure changed my streak bonus to 100 percent right on time.

@Sabreena I feel the same way but when all is said and done, is there a better program?

edited November 2018

Well the changes are now rolled out on my dashboard, I see the new diamond status and my streak now shows a 100% bonus.

I have an #OhmHour still pending from Tuesday that I had assumed would of been paid at the old bonus structure as it pre-dated this new bonus structure, but I guess not...

Welcome to the brave new world... Maybe it's time to take a collective deep breath and see what the base points and payouts are going forward.

• > @Steve E said:
    > Well the changes are now rolled out on my dashboard, I see the new diamond status and my streak now shows a 100% bonus.
    >
    > I have an #OhmHour still pending from Tuesday that I had assumed would of been paid at the old bonus structure as it pre-dated this new bonus structure, but I guess not...
    >
    > Welcome to the brave new world... Maybe it's time to take a collective deep breath and see what the base points and payouts are going forward
  • > @Heather R. Weather said:
    > > @Steve E said:
    > > Well the changes are now rolled out on my dashboard, I see the new diamond status and my streak now shows a 100% bonus.
    > >
    > > I have an #OhmHour still pending from Tuesday that I had assumed would of been paid at the old bonus structure as it pre-dated this new bonus structure, but I guess not...
    > >
    > > Welcome to the brave new world... Maybe it's time to take a collective deep breath and see what the base points and payouts are going forward

It will, Steve! We had one on Thursday and Friday morning mine changed to 100% (down from 680 boo) and the results came late last night. Last chance with baseline boost.

@Heather R. Weather Nice
    @Steve E Mine from Thursday scored under the old method too. Last decent scoring one for a while I suspect