Updates to streaks and status

Comments

• samkleesamklee Posts: 58Member, Administrator, Moderator
    edited November 2018

@SD Chip said:

@Steve E said:

@CrapJohnSaves said:

@SD Chip said:
    But of course they capped my payout @ $20.

The payouts are capped at $20 now? I didn't read that anywhere...

They aren't and never were. There were some accounts that hit a soft cap of $20 that was lifted when they contacted support. I think it was to prevent mass payouts for erroneous data or some other such thing. I personally never encountered it and have had #OhmHours that paid upwards of $50 with no issues.

This is the response from Scott when I asked about the $20 cap on my payout:

"Thanks for writing in! Yes, indeed, we have a cap of 2000 points per #OhmHour. We are not enforcing that as of now, so I have removed the points cap from your account permanently, and I have updated your points accordingly. You can see this on your dashboard. Be aware this may take up to 24 hours for this correction to show up on your dashboard."

I have had previous payouts over $20, so not sure why this cap all of a sudden showed up on my account.
    But yes they did have a cap on payouts.

For clarification: We imposed this cap after some nefarious/hacker activity resulted in large, fraudulent cash payouts. Internally, we treat it as a soft cap to allow us to double check if a real user is behind the payout request.

That response you posted is a bit awkwardly worded in referencing this cap as something "we are not enforcing" as of now. We have no intention, currently, to make this a strict policy but it is still a useful fraud check that has proved valuable repeatedly. I'll get around to changing that response. Thank you for pointing it out.

Sam
    Team OhmConnect

• cwiedcwied San MateoPosts: 108Member

I just got my first OhmHour payout after the switch. My streak was at 77. It looks like the points per kWh went up a little, so the loss from the lower bonuses was slightly offset. I think that overall I'm receiving about 25% less in the new system. My hope is that the points I would have earned are being rewarded to lower-streak members instead.

• stormysbstormysb Posts: 63Member

Participation has dropped considerably. Well, the bright side is the prize drawing odds. lol ;)

• No Pain No GainNo Pain No Gain 93035Posts: 407Member

@stormysb :D Nah. It's rigged.

• dhoffman33dhoffman33 Posts: 7Member

I'd rather have small cash payouts than these stupid prize hours. At least it would give some incentive. I have zero incentive to participate in a prize hour.

edited December 2018

@NoPainNoGain And there goes the last thing I cling to. lolol 100 prizes out of 34000 qualifying members. Yep, I hate the prize ohms.

• I'd like to see how the total amount of energy we've all saved before the streaks cap compares to after the cap. This past OhmHour we didn't turn off the circuit breakers as we always have before. We still beat our forecast, but by 44% instead of 90%. With the new restrictions, this reduced our (after cap) payout from between $3 and $5 to $1.50. Earning a couple of bucks is no incentive. We already have solar, a hybrid car, and are very conscious of how we spend energy. I don't see how the new OhmConnect strategy can be successful. How do you feel?

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,493Member, Moderator

@laurelrpatton-com said:
    I'd like to see how the total amount of energy we've all saved before the streaks cap compares to after the cap. This past OhmHour we didn't turn off the circuit breakers as we always have before. We still beat our forecast, but by 44% instead of 90%. With the new restrictions, this reduced our (after cap) payout from between $3 and $5 to $1.50. Earning a couple of bucks is no incentive. We already have solar, a hybrid car, and are very conscious of how we spend energy. I don't see how the new OhmConnect strategy can be successful. How do you feel?

We were told on the moderator call last night that the numbers show that is a similar level of engagement and reductions pre and post the change. I know there's a bunch of us not trying as hard as we once were so it doesn't really gel with me but those of us that post here are also in the minority. There's only a few key months in the year when OC can earn a lot and my understanding is that they are simply trying to keep everyone involved till next summer when the big rewards will return. We've had it good for a long time so I'm going to keep working it and will stick around to see what next summer brings.

• jserramcjserramc Posts: 237Member

someone is actually earning money on an ohm hour?! All I've gotten is prize hours....

• cwiedcwied San MateoPosts: 108Member

Yes, I'm still getting point Ohm Hours.

• Heather R. WeatherHeather R. Weather Posts: 118Member
    edited December 2018

Ive seen a trend of having 2 prize followed by 2 points followed by 2 prize (latest)...so I'm hoping my next one will be points based but it doesnt seem anyone is experiences the same thing so I guess I can't claim a pattern.

Here is a suggestion, as none of us see the prize ones as legit chances for anything but a high five and some virtual confetti:

What if we had some "token ohmhours" - Since that isnt a monetary payout it's pretty much a prize ohmhour but actually benefits individuals towards earning tokens. I know we currently already receive tokens for participating (smart plugs turning off automatically, buddy points, etc) but if we had the chance to earn tokens based on our savings...wouldnt that be at least some incentive? Maybe some new token cashout options. Can't think of any off the top of my head, but yeah just brainstorming.

Tonight will be my 5th prize hour in a row. My buddy has had points hours the last three. I do not know if his is a points or prize tonight. Wonder how they are determining who gets what?

• Steve ESteve E Posts: 329Member, Moderator

@stormysb said:
    Tonight will be my 5th prize hour in a row. My buddy has had points hours the last three. I do not know if his is a points or prize tonight. Wonder how they are determining who gets what?

I know from the monthly moderators conference call that they are running test groups to see the effect of what kind of #OhmHour people are getting. So some people are getting blocks of each and some people are getting a mix. They are trying to evaluate the overall participation and savings from what I understood.

• keltonrealakeltonreala Posts: 21Member

@Steve E What is the test setup, is it a split plot test? How long is the test and will we get to see the test result?

• chiaperochiapero Posts: 2Member

Is anybody else not getting a full 2.5x bonus for Diamond status? I am only getting 1.5x my base points. I am told by OC that the base points plus the 1.5x = the 2.5x. I had 18 base points + They gave me 27 points(1.5x BP) + 18 streak bonus=63. I say if I am to get 2.5x, I should be getting 18+45+18=81.

edited December 2018
    The terminology is confusing. If you're Diamond and on Streak of 100%
    Total = Base X (2.5 +1)
    Total = 18 X 3.5
    Total = 63

@keltonreala - I'm pretty sure the test is for internal purposes only. We only fleetingly touched on the tests and didn't go into any real detail regarding duration or methodology

• snichols42snichols42 Posts: 1Member
    edited December 2018
    Yeah this will probably be it for me too. Prize/sweepstakes instead of gains and reduction of streak bonuses isn’t going to cut it with me. I’ll stick around until I’m at least cash out value but with these prize hours I won’t wait too long. Maybe I’ll see how the first summer hour goes next year but I’ll be looking into switching back to SCE’s savings. I never had to worry about shenanigans with theirs. Thanks for the good times while they lasted.
    @snichols42

Lots of people are thinking the same way but think about it for a couple of seconds.
    1. I believe this is temporary to get us through to the high points that'll be back next summer.
    2. If SCE's program is anything like SDGE's "reduce your use program" there will be no opportunities to reduce and earn till next summer anyway, so why change now? You, might win 100K with OhmConnect. You probably won't win 100K but there is a chance. What are the odds with SCE?
  • chiaperochiapero Posts: 2Member

In the past, as platinum status, I would get double the base points. OC must have changed how they calculate points to cheat us out of more money. I looked up my history, and the status level payout amounts and streak bonus amounts have all been changed to match the new math.

> @chiapero said:
    > In the past, as platinum status, I would get double the base points. OC must have changed how they calculate points to cheat us out of more money. I looked up my history, and the status level payout amounts and streak bonus amounts have all been changed to match the new math.

I think you're mistaken. I'm not seeing that and both dashboard and csv download match.
  • VaibhavVaibhav Posts: 1Member

Its first month after the new streak and prize ohm hour changes. I would say both moves were bad. I have lost interest in saving energy, after all sitting in dark for nothing is no fun !! OC is making big profits out of our energy savings and in return few will get awarded via prize ohm hours. This is not sustainable. If a company or program can't keep their users happy they cant survive for a long. Soon someone else will take over this concept and OC will be a big looser.
    Enough is written in this thread and now it would be interesting to see if OC really cares about their users and willing to make positive changes or just interested in money milking business in the name of environment !!!

@Vaibhav said:

We know that it's slow at this time of year and we also know that changes were needed. Over the summer I had several Mega OhmHours that paid in excess of $200. I know that's probably an extreme example but I know of others that were doing similarly well. How can that be sustainable in the long run?

I'm not happy about the changes either but I'm also realistic. For me there really is no alternative at this point in time for me that is better. I could switch to my utility's program (SDG&E) but they don't even pay a penny right now.

How do you know that OC is making "big profits out of our energy savings"? Is this just an assumption on your part or do you have data to back it up?

• keltonrealakeltonreala Posts: 21Member

@UkiwiS said:

Over the summer I had several Mega OhmHours that paid in excess of $200. I know that's probably an extreme example but I know of others that were doing similarly well. How can that be sustainable in the long run?

I'm not happy about the changes either but I'm also realistic. For me there really is no alternative at this point in time for me that is better. I could switch to my utility's program (SDG&E) but they don't even pay a penny right now.

Can you share with us how many kWh you saved during the Mega OhmHours and how many points/kWh were paid out for those events? Just want to see how big of a difference there is between Mega and regular points OhmHours.

Have you tried both of SDG&E's Reduce Your Use plan and the AC Saver (Summer Saver) plan? How did those work out?

• anitanarayanitanaray Posts: 2Member
    Maybe this is the reason I haven't been able to connect to OhmConnect since last October/November hmmm

Without looking into my exact earnings I can say that through the program I have earned enough in the past two years (2017 & 2018) to warrant having to complete the tax documentation form. And if I recall correctly that is triggered once you reach $300 in cash outs. Ohm Connect has let me recover at least 10% of my electricity costs for each of those years. Time will only tell what the payouts will be over the summer, but it is certainly worth sticking around to find out in my opinion. Unpopular changes have happened in the past only for people to be more than pleasantly surprised at what the eventual outcome was.

Well I did even better then!

I submitted my form for 2019 already, so I don't have to deal with it later....I remain hopeful