Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Updates to streaks and status

1235»

Comments

• laurelrpatton-comlaurelrpatton-com Posts: 14Member

@Steve E said:
    Without looking into my exact earnings I can say that through the program I have earned enough in the past two years (2017 & 2018) to warrant having to complete the tax documentation form. And if I recall correctly that is triggered once you reach $300 in cash outs. Ohm Connect has let me recover at least 10% of my electricity costs for each of those years. Time will only tell what the payouts will be over the summer, but it is certainly worth sticking around to find out in my opinion. Unpopular changes have happened in the past only for people to be more than pleasantly surprised at what the eventual outcome was.

Could you please be more specific about this? What were the pleasant surprises and when? Thanks.

• Steve ESteve E Posts: 329Member, Moderator

@laurelrpatton-com - When I first used Ohm Connect I never even considered that I might possibly receive upwards of $600 in a single year for participating in the program. I never for the life of me imagined that I would get close to $100 for a single #OhmHour. In the past there have been changes made to the streak structures and I myself felt that the changes had a negative impact on me financially. Then MEGA Hours arrived last yer and the payments exceeded anything in the past. Time will only tell what may be in store in the more lucrative summer OhmHours and I reserve my judgement until then to see what happens.

I do think the way the changes were introduced was poor, but I do also understand that they were inevitable as myself and some of my fellow moderators had mentioned multiple times to Ohm Connect staff that we didn't see how the existing streak system was maintainable.

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,493Member, Moderator

@stormysb Yes, that was me. I'm no longer earning $250 a month :(

• stormysbstormysb Posts: 63Member

@UkiwiS said:
    @stormysb Yes, that was me. I'm no longer earning $250 a month :(

Yes, I know ;( and they should update that because it is misleading. That article was in an email I received 2 days ago.

• nlaceynlacey Posts: 25Member

hmm. Not sure if I forgot about this change, or didn't fully read the changes back in November. Just noticed that the streak bonus is now capped at 100%(20 hours), and the penalty is 10 hours worth. I'm at a 124 streak, so that 500% or so bonus is now at 100%....and I find that just fine. I assume this will flatten the payouts across a wider number of users(instead of a few getting huge payouts while the others wait a year for their streak to build). I expect to make less money, but also not be so worried of accidentally breaking the streak. Assuming again the same amount of money is given out, but more evenly across the user base, I really like this change.

• No Pain No GainNo Pain No Gain 93035Posts: 407Member
    edited February 11

@nlacey You may find it "just fine" that your bonus went from 500% to 100%, but will you be okay when you wait a couple months to have the minimum 1000 to cash out and you get this: Unfortunately, cashing out is currently unavailable :D

I clicked the link to see why, and OC explains they're being transparent and letting us know SCE hasn't paid them for 8 months. That's not transparency. That's pointing fingers and shifting blame. Read more on the thread: https://forum.ohmconnect.com/discussion/2141/no-payouts-for-sce-customers#latest

Someone from a referral about a year ago finally made it to Silver (thank goodness I don't know them) and I have 2503 I want to cash out. Who thinks SCE will ever pay what OC thinks they owe them? Show of hands! Anyone?

If you're not an SCE customer and have points you can cash out, do so, because you may be next!
    Update: Now that my questions have been answered by @samklee, I think it's unlikely this will happen to other utility users. I'm fully confident that things will be worked out between SCE and OhmConnect and have the patience to wait a while to cash out. I'm not going to go bankrupt without $20.

• No Pain No GainNo Pain No Gain 93035Posts: 407Member

Some of us had a great conference call with @samklee this evening. He was kind enough to listen to our concerns and I've come away with a new understanding of what OhmConnect is as a company. There is some agreement that communication needs to be worked on, which is what caused me to come to the forums and blow off steam. I'm totally in support of what Sam is working on and no longer concerned about the viability of OC. I would've taken down my earlier post but didn't want anyone who saw them to think that I had been censored. Carry on. OhmConnect has my support, but I wish it didn't have to come to this in order to open the lines of communication.

• hyacinthosidehyacinthoside Posts: 2Member

They have pretty much killed incentives for doing this. As other people have mentioned, doing ohm hours in the middle of dinner time for a lot of people, then capping incentive streaks AND penalising people for not having streaks is going to be yet another nail in the coffin of this programme.

• Alex FAlex F Posts: 7Member
    edited April 22
    The OhmHr points are meaningless, folks, because OC cannot or will not convert then to cash.
  • samkleesamklee Posts: 58Member, Administrator, Moderator

@Alex F said:
    The OhmHr points are meaningless, folks, because OC cannot or will not convert then to cash.

totally understand how it might feel that way, but we are committed to paying out our SCE users when the time is right. Back when the cash-out block was instated, it just didn't make sense to keep paying users without SCE fulfilling their contractual payments for our users' reductions. I'm not able to disclose details but it is a substantially significant amount.

• John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamPosts: 581Member

@samklee, do you also totally understand the irony of complaining that SCE isn't fulfilling their contractual payments, and simultaneously failing to fulfill OC's contractual payments to your members? It would be totally understandable if OC decided to suspend all OHs to SCE customers, but to withhold funds already earned by your members is indefensible (and I'm betting, illegal).

@John K said:
    @samklee, do you also totally understand the irony of complaining that SCE isn't fulfilling their contractual payments, and simultaneously failing to fulfill OC's contractual payments to your members? It would be totally understandable if OC decided to suspend all OHs to SCE customers, but to withhold funds already earned by your members is indefensible (and I'm betting, illegal).

Yes, I can appreciate the irony as to how this looks from the users' viewpoint and can honestly say we at OhmConnect have actually lost some sleep on the issue from constantly mulling over the implications of our decision.

You are correct in that perhaps it would have been better to suspend all OHs to our SCE customers while SCE was holding out payments. We ended up not going that route, in part, for 2 reasons:

1. We thought our users deserve to be aware of the critical role our Utility partners play in demand response and where they face challenges in cooperating with the State mandated pilot (timely ongoing data delivery, user authentication, conflicting demand response program involvement, and even basic user profile information have been a constant problem with all 3 utilities). Truth be told, if the Utilities were held accountable outside of the protection of their monopolistic-ish environment, they all would of all went bankrupt long ago.

2. We thought SCE would wake up and pay us. Again in hindsight, perhaps suspending all OhmHours for SCE users would have been an easier solution but we were convinced (and remain so) that SCE will do the right thing. The Public Utility Commission even went so far as to send SCE a position letter that they follow any of the reduction accounting methodologies we listed and pay us the money they owe us.

• dianadirdianadir Posts: 1Member

@samklee Thanks for the info. Is there any real update or news to report on this front? We're trying to assess what we want to do with OC in the future, and the lack of news has been really troubling.

Hi @dianadir I think you are actually highlighting 2 issues when you frame the lack of news in the context of whether to continue participating:
    1. News re: the SCE cash-out block.
    2. News re: what will OhmConnect look like in the upcoming Summer season and will it be worth your time in participating.

My response:
    1. Soon, really soon. The tricky thing is, due to the legal nature of the discussion between us and SCE, I've been told to not divulge any information regarding our little "entanglement" w/ SCE. And when a settlement is reached, all you'll hear from us is that "SCE and OhmConnect have worked out an agreement re: disputed monies owed to OhmConnect" or something like that.

1. I think it's time to hold another conference call and basically answer any questions our forumers have regarding OhmConnect.

Does someone want to volunteer to start a thread to gauge interest and settle on a time (or 2) to hold a call? I'll make the time to host this call any weekday from 4pm to 8pm and weekends between 7pm to 9pm

• Mary_Sean_KorkosMary_Sean_Korkos Lancaster Ca 93536Posts: 37Member

@samklee have you already had another conference call,?
    If another may be available I would like to participate please.I can make availability anytime.
    Thank you