Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Can Owners of Wiser Smart Plugs Exchange Them?

John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamPosts: 569Member

@samklee, OhmConnect originally sold Wemo and Wiser smart plugs for control by OC. The Wemo plugs are problematic in that they require control via IFTTT and the OC emails announcing the start and end of the hours, but I guess someone could claim they do work. The Wiser plugs, however, have not worked for about a year now. I don't know if this is because OC gave up working with Wiser/Schneider or what, but there have been previous posts about OC no longer turning off these devices.

Therefore, I'd like to know whether OC would allow those of us who spent our money on these plugs at the encouragement of OC to receive TP-Link plugs which really do work as replacements. The wiser plugs are totally useless since they do not have a user interface for control and only OC was ever able to control them.

Best Answers

• cwiedcwied San MateoPosts: 93Member
    Accepted Answer

Note that OhmConnect now has specific OhmHour triggers in IFTTT, so you can use those to automate unsupported plugs if they support IFTTT: https://ifttt.com/ohmconnect

This avoids having to trigger off of the email messages.

I've generally had good results with the IFTTT triggers, although a couple of weeks ago they fired late (after the OhmHour was over). That's about a one in 60 error rate for me.

• John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamPosts: 569Member
    Accepted Answer

@cwied said:
    Note that OhmConnect now has specific OhmHour triggers in IFTTT, so you can use those to automate unsupported plugs if they support IFTTT: https://ifttt.com/ohmconnect

This avoids having to trigger off of the email messages.

Amazing . . . i wonder if OC gave any thought to notifying their members. Never mind . . .

Anyway, thank you for the news. I've activated the two (start and stop) applets and I'll see if they work for me.

Answers

• SD ChipSD Chip Posts: 129Member

Great question John. I also have the wiser plugs that don't seem to integrate with OC anymore. I do have a bunch of TP-Link plugs. Would be nice if they made the offer to exchange them.

• lorisaldana2012lorisaldana2012 Posts: 1Member

Has this been resolved?
    I have a Belkin/WeMo plug. Is there a way to use this with the program?

@lorisaldana2012 said:
    Has this been resolved?
    I have a Belkin/WeMo plug. Is there a way to use this with the program?

See the advice from @cwied above.

@cwied, the new applets did not work on my first OH, tonight. Does any indication of your WeMo smartplugs show up in your list of devices on the OC page? It is strange, but with my first attempt to connect my plug, I ended up with an IFTTT API device listed on the OC page, but nothing worked. I deleted it and attempted a reconnect, and now nothing shows on OC, but the check on IFTTT says it is connected for both applets, but the plug is not actually toggled on and off..

I actually don't have WeMo plugs - I'm using the OhmConnect triggers with a web hook to trigger my Powerwalls. However, all that should show up in OhmConnect is IFTTT, not the plugs. All OhmConnect is hooked up to is IFTTT - it's IFTTT that's hooked up to WeMo. You can also install the IFTTT app on your smartphone and have it give you notifications when something happens for those applets to see what's happening.

Finally, are you sure you hooked each applet to the right event (i.e., WeMo off is hooked up to OhmHour start and WeMo on is hooked up to OhmHour end)?

edited January 11

@cwied said:
    I actually don't have WeMo plugs - I'm using the OhmConnect triggers with a web hook to trigger my Powerwalls. However, all that should show up in OhmConnect is IFTTT, not the plugs. All OhmConnect is hooked up to is IFTTT - it's IFTTT that's hooked up to WeMo. You can also install the IFTTT app on your smartphone and have it give you notifications when something happens for those applets to see what's happening.

Finally, are you sure you hooked each applet to the right event (i.e., WeMo off is hooked up to OhmHour start and WeMo on is hooked up to OhmHour end)?

With the OhmConnect-written Applets, there are two separate ones -- one is "Turn off WeMo Smart Plug when #OhmHour Starts" and the other is "Turn on WeMo Smart Plug when #OhmHour ends." So you can't. Assuming the applet is written correctly, you can't mis-match.

EDIT: I was misunderstanding the nature of the new OhmConnect-written applets. I thought they were stand-alone and only needed to be added to your own applet list and turned on. I didn't understand that they had to be incorporated into a newly created applet. I still have no indication that OhmConnect will be providing the necessary trigger to initiate the toggles, but I guess I'm closer.

As you say, OhmConnect's only connection is with IFTTT and that requires the OhmConnect Service is turned on at IFTTT. I authorized the connection at IFTTT, and it shows the OhmConnect connection as "Active". However, I have absolutely nothing showing on OhmConnect's device page indicating that triggers will be sent to IFTTT. As I mentioned, with my first attempt, there was device showing on the device page and it was named something like "IFTTT API". Do you show any evidence on the OhmConnect site that the triggers are active/authorized?

This is what I have on my dashboard:

And on the devices page:

@cwied said:
    This is what I have . . . on the devices page:

Thanks, that's what I had from the first installation, but can't get back. I'll try again, but it may all be academic as OC has now informed me that I'm not connected to SCE even though SCE shows two separate authorizations in place, "Indefinitely." And, when I try to reconnect using the provided button, it keeps taking me back to the OC login screen (what a mess).

@cwied, your question about the mis-matching start and end of OhmHours in the creation of an applet made me re-think my understanding of the OhmConnect-written apps. I understood them to be standalone applets and now realize they aren't -- they are evidently just the action portion for the creation of new applets. After creating two new applets, I still don't have any indication that OhmConnect will be sending the necessary triggers, but maybe I'm getting closer. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

If you use someone else's pre-built applets, then you are actually correct that mismatching shouldn't be an issue. Since I was using custom webhooks, I had to build my own. I think the WeMo applets that are there should work if you're correctly linked to the OhmConnect and WeMo accounts.