Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Anyone Experience a MEGA OH yet over Winter 2018-2019??

CKWMCKWM Fremont, CAPosts: 232Member
edited June 2 in General Discussion
When someone experiences one of these, please write about it here so we can keep each other in the loop about this.

Let us know how much you saved and how much you got for it.

Curious to know if the payout is actually better than regular OhmHours or if it's better.

Comments

• SD ChipSD Chip Posts: 146Member
    edited February 14

I received a total of 8 Mega Ohm hours in 2018. So if I convert to the Mega Only option, I should only expect about 8 OH's per year?? I am fine with multiple OH's a month, just not on board with the prize OH's. Can I get an option to opt out of the prize OH'S??

• CKWMCKWM Fremont, CAPosts: 232Member
    edited February 15
    @SD Chip Actually yes, you can substitute MEGAS for PrizeOhmHours. There realistically has to be less number of OhmHours if we only want paid OhmHours instead of Prize ones.
    They haven't said anything about total number of MEGAS in this upcoming year, but as the title of this post says... I think it's a step in the right direction in offering us choice. You can tally and tell us in 2020 how many MEGAS you got in 2019 as a comparison if you'd like.

I tried attaching screenshots of what my email said here, but am somehow now allowed.

I got the email on February 13 @ 6:46pm. Does anybody see that message from OhmConnect?
  • SD ChipSD Chip Posts: 146Member

@CKWM I read the email, and the options are for MEGA only OH's, or MEGA, Prize, and regular points OH's.
    I did not see an option to opt out of prize OH's. That is what I would like to see.

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,577Member, Moderator

I signed up a couple of weeks ago then changed my mind when friends received OHs and I didn't . Classic FOMO. I missed that regular one and since then have had only a prize OH.

I received the energy snapshot email about this yesterday and once again I'm considering it. There's details on the MEGA ONLY option here:
    https://www.ohmconnect.com/faq/participating-in-ohmhours/what-is-mega-only

Following the link at the bottom it mentions 4-9 being key times to be available. The early part of that is difficult as I have Solar so I wouldn't be fully available. I can do 6-9 so would probably miss out on some of them and I'm not a fan of missing out. The real question I have is what do these pay in the winter months and how many of them are there likely to be.

Has anyone signed up for this and received a MEGA so far in 2019?
    What was the base points per kWh that was paid out?

• John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamPosts: 585Member

@UkiwiS said:
    I received the energy snapshot email about this yesterday and once again I'm considering it.

Since you will only receive ~ 1/mo, do you have any assurance that you won't lose your Status bonus as a result of dropping below the minimum of 20 events in the last 180 days? I have pointed out the issue to support and they've ignored my question as to whether Status could drop as a result.

@John K said:

@UkiwiS said:
    I received the energy snapshot email about this yesterday and once again I'm considering it.

Since you will only receive ~ 1/mo, do you have any assurance that you won't lose your Status bonus as a result of dropping below the minimum of 20 events in the last 180 days? I have pointed out the issue to support and they've ignored my question as to whether Status could drop as a result.

Good point John. That's a great question for @samklee

• stormysbstormysb Posts: 68Member

@John K said:

@UkiwiS said:

That is a great question and I think I will change back to the 4 a week until that is answered ;)

It doesn't seem like anyone who visits these forums have experienced a MEGA yet as noted.

So according to this email, it's almost been a month since @samklee emailed us this option to tell us about MEGAs. Has anyone else gotten a MEGA yet? I'm looking forward to one being announced soon or someone else letting us know when they've had one.

• samkleesamklee Posts: 72Member, Administrator, Moderator

Hi Everyone, I'll circle back and answer the questions posted in this thread, but real quick -- If you didn't get a Mega OhmHour last week, let me know (either on this thread or message me). I know one went out fairly recently.

Sam

edited March 21
    Thanks for responding @samklee.

I have yet to experience a MEGA. I'm still looking forward to one.

Addition: I do have to say that I have solar and had to adjust my hours of participation in order to actually save energy. So I understand that this may impact my wait for a MEGA that fits my desired schedule.
  • SFPowerSaverSFPowerSaver SFPosts: 43Member
    edited March 19

No recent MEGA OhmHours here in SF.

Can anybody show us a screenshot or provide details about the MEGA they experienced?

I have one tomorrow so I will be back with screenshot after ;)

Still waiting for results.

@stormysb said:
    Still waiting for results.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of this little experiment.

Here's what I got.

Also, there's a notation on Baseline Boosts that they no longer apply to MEGAs. I unfortunately missed that notation and have a MEGA still active for my next OH... which I wonder how it'll be utilized if I have selected MEGAs Only option in settings. I sent a chat message to Support to see if they'll offer a "Regular OH & MEGA Only" option in the future that I can select.
    Here's what I got.

Also, there's a notation on Baseline Boosts that they no longer apply to MEGAs. I unfortunately missed that notation and have a MEGA still active for my next OH... which I wonder how it'll be utilized if I have selected MEGAs Only option in settings. I sent a chat message to Support to see if they'll offer a "Regular OH & MEGA Only" option in the future that I can select.
    Here's what I got.

Picture here
    edited March 29
    Looks like I can't add pictures anymore:

Forecast was 0.312
    MEGA goal was 0.151

Actual was 0.097

OH Points = 49
    MEGA Bonus = 49
    Platinum Status = 49
    100% Streak = 49

Totalled to 196

I am fortunate enough to have a buddy that still participates, so I also had a Buddy Bonus of 82, bringing me up to 278.

To me, it seems like MEGAs are the new Regular OHs from the past.
    edited March 29

@CKWM

That's decent and considerably more than the 90 or 100 points per kWh I earned when I last had a paying #OhmHour

So you saved 0.312-0.097 = 0.215 kWh.
    Base points was 49 so 49/0.215 = 227.90 points per kWh.

They have the type so light, I can not see the forecast and met totals. It says my reduction was 97%. I no longer have a buddy, so I missed out there. But here it is.

Rewards Breakdown

OhmHour Points

MEGA Bonus
    Platinum Status 2X multiplier
    74 Streak +100% Bonus
    Total Points

• ortega.cameronkortega.cameronk Posts: 15Member

@UkiwiS > @UkiwiS said:

That's decent and considerably more than the 90 or 100 points per kWh I earned when I last had a paying #OhmHour

So you saved 0.312-0.097 = 0.215 kWh.
    Base points was 49 so 49/0.215 = 227.90 points per kWh.

I think you're comparing apples and oranges here. If I understand correctly, base points are per reduction percentage point, not per kWh. If your usage is significantly higher than others, you might have a forecast of 5 kWh and save 3 by turning off the AC or something like that, while someone else has a forecast of just 0.205 kWh but flips their breaker and saves all 0.205. In this example your reduction is 60% and the other persons is 100%, so they'll get more base points.

@ortega.cameronk

We are paid by the kWh reduction. People sharing the same ohmhour score the same base points per kWh

In the above example If @stormysb had saved 1kWh he/she would have earned 229 points.
    edited April 4
    @ortega.cameronk, OhmConnect incentivized those of us who are low energy users to still save as much as possible by awarding Silver, Gold, Diamond statuses for us to earn relative to our % saved.
  • ortega.cameronkortega.cameronk Posts: 15Member

@UkiwiS in the above example @stormysb couldn't have possibly saved 1kWh because the forecast was only 0.312.

> @ortega.cameronk said:
    > @UkiwiS in the above example @stormysb couldn't have possibly saved 1kWh because the forecast was only 0.312.

Understood. I was simply pointing out that it is NOT based on the percentage reduction.

If another user had been able to save 1 kWh they would have earned 229 "base points".

If someone else saved 2 kWh they would have earned 458 "base points"

I think you are confusing CKWM and me. We both posted results ;)

edited April 27

I had my first Mega on Thursday 6-7. Base points worked out to be 209 points per kWh