Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

best time to purchase/use a baseline boost?

dslaidslai Posts: 27Member

I've accumulated enough tokens to purchase a baseline boost. I was wondering if there's any advice for when is the best time to purchase and use one. For example, I was thinking to wait for a community Ohmhour or a non-prize Ohmhour that my buddy would be participating in to maximize the # of community/buddy bonus points I could earn with a baseline boost applied. Also, I was wondering if more baseline points are awarded for Ohmhours that occur during summer months, and if that was the case, I would purchase the baseline boost later during the summer. Any other tips for how to maximize getting more points from using a baseline boost?

Comments

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,495Member, Moderator

@dslai
    Personally, I'd wait till the summer is here and the Prize OhmHours have ended. You'll be guaranteed of a higher base points per kWh due to the grid being more stressed. If you are lucky enough to time it right, it may coincide with a Mega OhmHour for additional bonus points too!

• lyndamcglyndamcg Posts: 1Member
    It says that the baseline boost cannot be used for Mega OhmHours.
    > @lyndamcg said:
    > It says that the baseline boost cannot be used for Mega OhmHours.

Bummer. I missed that. IMO, This is still something you'd want to do in the summer.
  • dslaidslai Posts: 27Member

So it's been shown that OhmHours pay out more during the summer? It makes sense, but wondering around how much more? In my most recent Ohmhour that awarded points a couple weeks ago, I got baseline points at a rate of 103 points / kWh.

edited April 27

@dslai said:
    So it's been shown that OhmHours pay out more during the summer? It makes sense, but wondering around how much more? In my most recent Ohmhour that awarded points a couple weeks ago, I got baseline points at a rate of 103 points / kWh.

Yes. I have not updated this in a while and this is my experience so if you live somewhere other than ZIP 92101 you potentially have different numbers. Factor in that the program can change at any time and you should take this with a grain of salt. Graph shows a 5 period Moving Average of "base" points per kWh.

• dslaidslai Posts: 27Member

Thanks for sharing that. I'll definitely wait a couple more months then before purchasing a baseline boost to use in the summer.

• Mark8Mark8 Posts: 14Member

I wish that I had seen this post – I could have and should have waited. I used a baseline boost for yesterday's OH in SF and the payout was horribly low. 430 points for 100% reduction off 5 kWh. That'd be near the lowest on this graph.

• jserramcjserramc Posts: 242Member

I recall a post on this forum recently indicating the payout is capped at 2000 points. So in the case above, even if you used a baseline boost at a very lucrative time, would the 2000 cap apply? In which case you earned 75% of the max with this event and might have only earned another $5?

edited May 24

@jserramc said:
    I recall a post on this forum recently indicating the payout is capped at 2000 points. So in the case above, even if you used a baseline boost at a very lucrative time, would the 2000 cap apply? In which case you earned 75% of the max with this event and might have only earned another $5?

The 2000 point cap is a "soft" cap and will be removed when you ask about it. It's basically present to reduce fraudulent activity. Here's some more info:
    https://forum.ohmconnect.com/discussion/comment/12351#Comment_12351

• Mark8Mark8 Posts: 14Member

@jserramc - Last time I used a baseline boost I hit the cap, asked for a ceiling release, and netted around $26 which is nice given how long it takes to save up that many tokens and my usual forecast is around 0.45 kWh.

• NMeadNMead Posts: 8Member

I used a base line boost on 5/16/2019 and got 1664 points.

• jserramcjserramc Posts: 242Member

thanks for info. If you have an event (were invited in last 24 hours) can the boost be bought for that game or do you buy and wait and take your chances?