Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Can I opt out of the prize OH and get the points instead?

My chances of winning are nil and I can make more use of the points. If I opt out of the prize OH, then it gives others a better chance. I can't use trips if I win. As someone who is on a fixed income, points make more sense to me. Thanks.

Answers

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoMember, Moderator Posts: 1,625

@lindacru

You could try the Mega-Only option
    https://www.ohmconnect.com/faq/participating-in-ohmhours/what-is-mega-only

I switched to this on 4/1 after having 6 Prize OhmHours in a row. On 4/25 I received my first Mega OhmHour and the base points were 209 per kWh plus there was an additional Mega Bonus thrown in. The total overall points worked out to be around the same as 3 regular OhmHours.

As soon as summer comes around or I hear of regular OhmHours coming back I'll be switching back so I get as many "non-prize" OhmHours as possible to max earnings.

• rachaelvanwormerrachaelvanwormer Member Posts: 1

I strongly second the option to opt out of Prize Ohm Hours. We flip our breaker for every Regular and Mega Ohm Hour, which is often times difficult to accommodate, but worth it to us so far...though it is getting more and more disheartening to see our average (and, subsequently, our status) drop with every Prize hour we don't meet. Our use is minimal as it is (our goals are often less than .1kwh - the last one was .004). If they don't impact streaks or points, why not give the option not to participate? They feel like a de-motivator and a punishment for our genuine efforts. We don't need the prizes and there are options to opt out of Mega and control how many Regular hours you get per week... why not this option as well?

• markbmarkb San DiegoMember Posts: 6

I t> @UkiwiS said:

@lindacru

You could try the Mega-Only option
    https://www.ohmconnect.com/faq/participating-in-ohmhours/what-is-mega-only

I switched to this on 4/1 after having 6 Prize OhmHours in a row. On 4/25 I received my first Mega OhmHour and the base points were 209 per kWh plus there was an additional Mega Bonus thrown in. The total overall points worked out to be around the same as 3 regular OhmHours.

As soon as summer comes around or I hear of regular OhmHours coming back I'll be switching back so I get as many "non-prize" OhmHours as possible to max earnings.

I'm in San Diego, too, and I had regular ohmhours on 3/26, 4/15, and 4/29. And I had a mega ohmhour on 4/3.

• dhoffman33dhoffman33 Member Posts: 8

Wish there was an option to opt out of prize hours only. Prize hours are stupid. I'd rather be paid less for a normal ohm hour than have a prize one, and I think many would agree.

• markbmarkb San DiegoMember Posts: 6

The emails they send out about prize ohmhours are self-contradictory. Looking at the latest one, I see this:

Remember, you won't get points for Prize #OhmHours, but they do count towards your status. Your streak will not be affected.

But then at the bottom:

Don't want to be in this Prize #OhmHour? No problem. You can opt-out here. Heads up: if you've got a streak going, you'll break it by opting out.

So which is it?!

• jserramcjserramc Member Posts: 351

I guess worst case scenario, you are in it, you don't meet the goal, you don't lose your streak but you are not entered into that weeks prize.