Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Newbie setting up a smart plug with a light switch control

Hi All,
I just got my first smart plug and so far I'm very disappointed. Every single plug I wanted to put one, it seems I can't. The plugs are so large that they have to only be a top plug and most of my other plugs won't fit below it. All the top outlets that I use are controlled by a light switch. If the switch is turned off, yes my lights are off, but so is the smart plug. If it's turned off, how do I operate it remotely or have it automatically turn off during an OhmHour? I was really hoping to use the timer feature, but if it's off, and subsequently not connecting to WiFi, how can that work?

I don't want to invest in the smaller, slimer plugs that would allow both top and bottom outlets to be used unless I know it will work. We can NOT control these light/outlets with our phones as a matter of daily use.

Do I just give up and only use the smart plug if we're going to out and I want a light on a timer? I was so excited and now...well, not so much. I've been trying to connect my utility for 10 days and still no luck, but that's another story. Any insight on how to make this work would be appreciated.

Answers

• OHMsmartOHMsmart Posts: 2Member

I put on my refrigerator and we have a streak of 53!

As far as your other issues... you can figure out what you can/ can’t do so...

Last tip... we set Kasa to shutoff our fridge for 3hrs 1:am - 4:am when we never open it and our electric bill dropped significantly.

• Kimberly McDermottKimberly McDermott Posts: 82Member

@dianebjorn said:
    Hi All,
    I just got my first smart plug and so far I'm very disappointed. Every single plug I wanted to put one, it seems I can't. The plugs are so large that they have to only be a top plug and most of my other plugs won't fit below it. All the top outlets that I use are controlled by a light switch. If the switch is turned off, yes my lights are off, but so is the smart plug. If it's turned off, how do I operate it remotely or have it automatically turn off during an OhmHour? I was really hoping to use the timer feature, but if it's off, and subsequently not connecting to WiFi, how can that work?

I don't want to invest in the smaller, slimer plugs that would allow both top and bottom outlets to be used unless I know it will work. We can NOT control these light/outlets with our phones as a matter of daily use.

Do I just give up and only use the smart plug if we're going to out and I want a light on a timer? I was so excited and now...well, not so much. I've been trying to connect my utility for 10 days and still no luck, but that's another story. Any insight on how to make this work would be appreciated.

I second the Idea to put your 1st Smart plug on the refrigerator...and yes it can be frustrating when you have a half hot plug and desire to use a smart plug...I have one or two like that and I just use a power strip and turn them off when I leave the room...not ideal but it is what it is...but give the program sometime its wonderful...and try the fridge 1st