First ohm hour results are so low?

I just did my first Ohm Hour and earned a measly 8 points, even though I beat my forecast by 58%. Is that normal???

Answers

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoMember, Moderator Posts: 1,625
    What was your forecast?
    What did you use?
    The difference is how much you saved in kWh.

You'll earn between 70 and 230 points per kWh saved, plus your streak and status bonus. For you those last 2 will be zero.

I'm guessing you're a low energy user so you will struggle. If you can save a lot and you've been here for a while you can do pretty good.
  • MichaelMichael Member Posts: 5

Forecast: 0.12 kWh
    Used: 0.055 kWh

Does that sound right?

You saved .065 watts so you were paid 8/.065 = 123 points per kWh or $1.23. If you are in San Diego and on TOU pricing you'd pay around 54 cents per kWh for electricity at peak rates. OhmConnect effectively paid you 2.5 times what you'd pay if you used that electricity. That seems pretty reasonable, right? If you were on a streak of 20 in a row, you'd get a streak bonus of 100% so they'd pay you double.

If you want to earn more you need to save more vs your forecast.

Thanks UkiwiS, but how did you figure 123 points or $1.23? Well I know how you did the math, but my OhmConnect account literally says 8 points. Nothing mentioning 123 or 1.23.

I do live in San Diego but I don't know what TOU pricing is.

According to their website "The points you earn during an #OhmHour are calculated by subtracting your actual usage from your forecast and multiplying that amount by the price of the event. The price for #OhmHours vary by location and time."

Are you saying $1.23 was the price of the event? So $1.23 is the max payout? So if my forecast was 0.12 kWh and I had not used any energy at all (0 kWh) then I would've saved 0.12 kWh. Then the calculation would be $1.23 x 0.12 = 14 cents?? What a rip off!

edited September 2019

8 points divided by your saving = 123 points per kWh. That number varies from event to event but over the last year has ranged from around 70 to 230 points per kWh. For the OhmHour you mentioned the base points were 123 per kWh. A point is a penny...so 8 points = 8 cents. The 123 is what we refer to as the "base points per kWh". Bonuses and status points apply to that number. Next time it might be more or it might be less.

TOU pricing is "Time of Use". You pay more for energy used between 4 and 9 pm....that's when we have OhmHours. That's the time they want us to save.

Your forecast is basically the average you've used during that time period over the last 10 days. It might seem like a "rip-off" to you but you did only save 0.12 kWh...no disrespect intended but that's a TINY amount. Here's my results for the Mega on 8/30. This paid out around 164 points per kWh but you can see the effect of a high forecast/Status points and the streak Bonus.

....would you consider this a rip-off???

The other side of the equation is that on the days that there are no OhmHours, I'm using a lot of energy during the peak time. That give me the high forecast and more OhmConnect points but it also means I have a higher energy bill.

edited September 2019

Your forecast was 86x mine. Keep in mind my monthly electricity bill is about $30.

Do you mind if you tell me your average monthly bill? I'd like to know what 10.3 kWh is like.

I have solar and I'm under NEM 1.0 so I get the full retail credit for the energy I put back into the grid. My electric bill last year was $132.03.

• jserramcjserramc Member Posts: 351

It takes several events to get your status up. It took me about 9 months to get to a high level. I've been with OC 2 years. I am a super low energy user with solar, all electric. I also beef up m use between 7-9 PM (now, this will change after Nov 1 with time change etc to 5-9 PM) on onon OH das so I have an artificially high baseline. I am in SF with PGE and with climate credit, over production and PGE payout (recently SF implemented their own power but I still pay PGE for service) at true up I get enough to pay my monthly service ($10) for the year. Most of the year (at least 9 months) my bill is negative while the other 3 months, with my credit I still am not paying a power bill, 10 years. The last 2 years with OC have been pretty much gravy., about $250. None of this is referral, all ohm hours but a lot of bonus with diamond status. No more buddy points!