Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Are we done for the year?

BstringBstring North SD County CoastalPosts: 84Member

Should I expect any more ohm hours before next May?

Answers

• CraigWCraigW Posts: 48Member

My last was Sept 4. Really poor year for OHs. Only a few mega's and not many regular OHs either.

• NlindsayNlindsay San Diego Posts: 89Member

@Bstring said:
    Should I expect any more ohm hours before next May?

:D haha forreal
    edit: Should I expect any more ohm hours that are even worth anything $$

• ApriljenningsApriljennings Posts: 1Member
    Same here. Not many OHs at all this year. I made a lot of money last year and it really helped at Christmas time. It's not gonna help that much this year though. Bummer
  • SrelazSrelaz FullertonPosts: 118Member

This program has really gone to hell in a hand-basket. 2017 payout for me was $1,461.31, 2018 payout was $2,008.37. 2019 through right now is $211.98. Last Ohmhour was September 24 and paid $1.37. With my streak and the low payouts, is this even worth me sitting in the dark anymore?

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoPosts: 1,600Member, Moderator
    edited October 9
    @Srelaz

Awesome streak!

Similar experience for me as well but my last OH was 9/13. I believe the environment for OC has become more complicated with more players and they're needing to bid lower to get "dispatched". Basically just market forces. The way I look at it though is you earned a couple of hundred more than you would have without OhmConnect right?

Is it worth the effort and can you be bothered, only you can answer that one.

Personally, I no longer try as hard as I used too.
  • SrelazSrelaz FullertonPosts: 118Member

@UkiwiS said:
    @Srelaz

Similar experience for me as well. I believe the environment for OC has become more complicated with more players and they're needing to bid lower to get "dispatched". Basically just market forces. The way I look at it though is you earned a couple of hundred more than you would have without OhmConnect right?

I guess I'm happy it paid for the costs of my smartplugs the last couple years and then some. There is some convenience factor to tell my Alexa device to turn off the bedroom light at night.

There appears to be a zero percent chance of having to file this in my 2019 taxes at this point like the past 2 years. If I had invested heavily in smart plugs this year I'd be cursing a blue streak. In fact I did buy a couple TP-Link HS107's this year that aren't compatible with OC. IFTTT is just ok....

My conundrum is now whether the opportunity cost of sitting for an hour or two in the dark or leave the house, having the house get hotter and then having to have the AC and refrigerator run longer after the event is over to catch-up on cooling is now worth my time. Food for thought...

• CraigWCraigW Posts: 48Member

Same kind of boat. Our EV car commute is way down so our usage is much lower now too. Add the sparse summer hours and now the winter Prize hours that don't pay anything out and I'm leaning towards restricting my usage to insure no OH hours between now and the new Mega season.

Sure a $1000 Amazon card sounds nice, but if it's a repeat of last year there will be 5,000 qualified for first prize but then subsequent prizes will have longer qualifying periods and 25,000-35,000 qualify and the expected value becomes pennies.