smart plug users

if we plug in a refrigerator into a smart plug, will the refrigerator automatically turn off/disconnect during ohm hours? whats the purpose of the plug? same question with a washer. the washer is already turned off during ohm hours, how will having it plugged into a smart plug make a difference?

Answers

• Daniel PrimichDaniel Primich Member Posts: 22

Yes, the refrigerator will automatically turn on/off for ohmhours if plugged into a smart plug. I don't personally use one for my refrigerator because I've heard that the repeated power cycles can cause an increased risk of mechanical issues (I haven't done extensive research on this, so I'm not sure how true this is). Regardless, I don't want to risk damaging my refrigerator, or losing all of my food if there is a network issue with the plugs (which can happen). The washer doesn't really make sense to use with a smart plug, for the reason you already gave. Some things that I have on smart plugs are: lamps, computers, video game consoles, TVs, electronic charging devices. Do some research on "vampire energy" and that will point you in the right direction as to things that are using power when not in use, and are therefore good candidates for smart plugs.