AutoOhms

nlaceynlacey Member Posts: 27

It made me more than a little frustrated to have my computer shut off without warning, when up to now the rules of the game were that I'd get a notice the day before and then minutes before. This feature rollout is taking too many liberties with my devices: a single email and a single text message that doesn't give a time, is not enough of a notice to start exerting new control over my home. Less than one day's notice and manual "opt-out", is nowhere near appropriate for a company that has been given such an intimate connection to our homes. I haven't had time to investigate how opting out will impact my account, but I will be opting out of AutoOhms, I hope I don't have to also opt out of OhmConnect.

Answers

• nlaceynlacey Member Posts: 27

According to the FAQ, opting out on a device won't impact streak or points, which is good. I'm willing to leave it connected to my devices which won't be impacted by spontaneous power-offs, though I have concerns over the pay structure. I hope OhmConnect improves their messaging in the future when they changing how they manage user devices, and make new features such as this opt-in rather than opt-out, and not assume that we're going to see and respond immediately to an out-of-the-ordinary message about a new change.

• Andrew FarrisAndrew Farris Member Posts: 6
    Apparently we don’t have to worry about it because no AutoOhm events happen... or OhmHours other than prizes... heh.
  • Abe MazliachAbe Mazliach Member Posts: 2

I would like to see at least a 15 minute notice that a smart device (plug) will be turned off because of an AutoOhm event.

• jennelenayjennelenay Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    Quick question about auto ohm..with the automated plugs, is it safe for the constant turning off and on the appliance?
  • dslaidslai Member Posts: 30

I've only had one AutoOhm event about a month ago. Nothing since then. I wonder if this is still in a beta phase

• jaimeandmichaeljaimeandmichael Member Posts: 1
    I was just wondering the same thing. Haven't had an autoohm since April 24th.
  • XdatineliaXdatinelia Member Posts: 47
    Just got a flood of them tonight the crafty thing is they don't run back on after the autoohm so aren't paying past initial shutoff
  • OakValleyOakValley Member Posts: 4

So... the autoohms for tonight. I have one nest thermostat and one TP smart plug. Both were turned off by an autoohms event at 5pm for 15 minutes, and I was credited with 90 cents (whoohoo! lol). Then another autoohm was called lasting 45 mins beginning at 6:15, then another 45-minute event beginning at 7:15, followed by a 15-minute event starting at 8:00. I did nothing to either the thermostat nor the smart plug; they have been on and functional. The first autoohm was credited, then all the rest were credited at $0.00. All of the alerts came through my phone okay. The credits were $0.00 because supposedly the "device was off" according to the dashboard. That wasn't so. The thermostat was working, the smart plug was on and showed green lights and normal operation. I just don't get this program. So, without my doing anything differently, I had one 15-minute credited participation, then 1.45 hours of non-participation for unknown reasons. Anyone else have this completely inconsistent experience?

I got a ton of text messages for AutoOhm notices today (must be because the weather turned hot). But there's so many bugs with this AutoOhm feature. Sometimes, they worked as expected (mainly for the very first AutoOhm that occurred, all my smart plugs turned off for it), but most of the time, they didn't. I have sent a support request mentioning some of these issues so hopefully they get addressed asap.

• Sometimes, I got notices that an AutoOhm was being extended for another 15 minutes. The problem is that the original AutoOhm already scheduled my smart plugs to turn on at a certain time, and the extension never canceled these schedules or modified them to turn on at a later time (when the extension would be over). So basically, my smart plugs would remain on during the extension period.

• Many times I got a notice of an upcoming AutoOhm that would occur in a few minutes, but my smart plugs never got scheduled to turn off for it. My smart plugs were definitely online and showed as being connected in the OhmConnect site. Sometimes, after the AutoOhm was already over, I could see that the schedule for my smart plugs showed one-time turn off/on events for that AutoOhm that were scheduled in the past. So it seems that my smart plug schedules were getting updated too late to take effect for an AutoOhm.

• Whenever the above issues occurred, the behavior was not always consistent across my smart plugs. For example, when there was an AutoOhm extension, one of my smart plugs worked as expected for it, but other ones did not and ran into the issue described above.

• This probably isn't a bug. I noticed that when my smart plugs did not turn off for an AutoOhm, I turned off the smart plug manually (from the Kasa app) but didn't earn any credit for doing this. I guess credit is only given if the smart plug is turn off by a schedule that OhmConnect creates.

• XdatineliaXdatinelia Member Posts: 47
    We left during the Flux of them but the living room light was on after 5:15 and on when we got home at 7:40.. i think they load tested tonight and it was a fail. Took our thermostat off the autoohm because I dont want it to kill the hvac. The 12 plugs I had 6 usualy run, they all paid the 1st one and not the rest.
  • jaguengerichjaguengerich Member Posts: 1

I had the same frustrating problem with Autohms tonight. All my devices (4 of them) were functioning properly. I got paid for the first 15 minute shut-down and then NONE of the rest. I did nothing to any of the devices between Autohm alerts. This seems like a huge flaw in the system. I know for sure that at least one of my devices turned off and on during one of the subsequent Autohms.

If you ran into AutoOhm issues, please report them in a help request. I don't know if the company follows these forums as much as they used to so probably the best way to get their attention on these issues is a large volume of help requests from different users.
  • SJCESJCE San Jose,CAMember Posts: 11

After the fist one today my devices never got told to go back on or off. I have 42 devices.

• SJCESJCE San Jose,CAMember Posts: 11

@jaguengerich said:
    I had the same frustrating problem with Autohms tonight. All my devices (4 of them) were functioning properly. I got paid for the first 15 minute shut-down and then NONE of the rest. I did nothing to any of the devices between Autohm alerts. This seems like a huge flaw in the system. I know for sure that at least one of my devices turned off and on during one of the subsequent Autohms.

My exact same issue.