Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Bronze #OhmHours have now been released! Anyone who has a status of Bronze must TELL US HOW YOU'RE SAVING in order for a chance to win prizes. You won't earn or lose points, but you've got to respond to your alerts! Read more in the post.

Reminder: #OhmHour Occurrences and Notifications

Kate from OhmConnectKate from OhmConnect Posts: 807Administrator
edited October 2016 in General Discussion

Those of you who are diligent in reading your weekly Energy Statement will have seen this, but wanted to cross-post for extra visibility and as a general reminder!

Wherefore art thou, #OhmHour?

While many of our community members received an #OhmHour earlier this week, others have gone some time without being called on to save energy. We’d like to take a moment and remind everyone why #OhmHours are random and why you sometimes only receive a notification just before the #OhmHour starts.

#OhmHours occur when the grid doesn’t have enough energy for everyone. It just so happens that the grid has been particularly stable this past month. When the grid does get stressed, the people who operate the grid will occasionally know they need more energy the day before. Other times, they don’t know until a few minutes beforehand.

As soon as we’re notified, we pass this information onto you in the form of an #OhmHour notification. We give you as much heads-up as possible, but this will vary depending upon when the grid operators let us know they need help.

This is the reason you will sometimes only receive a notification just before an #OhmHour starts.

Note This is an explanation only. If you have specific questions about your #OhmHours, please search for the forum for relevant advice. Moderators will remove or re-direct questions that do not relate to this reminder.

Comments

• We received our email notice only 8 minutes in advance of the OhmHour today, 5:00 pm Saturday. That's nuts! We lost points and dollars and were definitely no help for the environment. I was in a closed meeting, no cell phones on, from 4 pm to 6 pm, missed the notice, and was unable to call home and alert the family the change plans for cooking dinner. Crazy making expectation by Ohmconnect folks. Surely you can do better.

• Ifung MakatitaIfung Makatita Posts: 2Member
    I got txt message notification 6 minutes before the ohm hour started today and I was outside. I didn't hear it and just noticed the txt until 30 minutes later. Family was home watching TV and I didn't get home few minutes before it ended. Got emailed a bit later said I went over my projected and got deducted 80 points. I don't think it's fair enough to get notification 6 minutes prior to the event.
  • That Son Of A BitzThat Son Of A Bitz Union CityPosts: 479Moderator
    [Discussions Merged]

@eddavis3600@gmail.com and @Ifung Makatita

Take a look at Kate's reminder at the beginning of this discussion. It explains the reason for the last minute notifications. Hopefully, this helps with your understanding of how/when OhmHours are called. Remember - even though you may only be notified minutes before an OhmHour, you have up to 15 minutes into the OhmHour to opt-out.

Thank you for your questions! Please feel free to post follow up questions. OC and it's moderators really want you and everyone else in this community to save energy and earn as many points as possible because it not only puts money in everyone's pockets, but it also helps preserve our precious environment!

I just ask that if you have a question or request that maybe account specific that you direct them to OC support using their chat and email features.

@Kate from OhmConnect because some users cannot respond to a notification in time to opt-out, they add email addies and phone #s of other people in the household. Will the link in the text and email alerts allow these other people to opt-out for the account holder and the entire household?
  • Kate from OhmConnectKate from OhmConnect Posts: 807Administrator

If you have multiple phone numbers on your account, all members will be sent the text!

And any of them can opt out?
  • Kate from OhmConnectKate from OhmConnect Posts: 807Administrator
    @eddavis3600@gmail.com and @Ifung Makatita There you have it! I'd suggest adding more people in your household to get alerts especially if anyone is home and in case you can't opt-out in time. And what I've learned thru my experience working at one of the utilities is that if you create a plan for what the family should do, they'll know in what situations they need to opt your household out of an OhmHour (in case you can't). And if they're home, they'll know what to do when they get an alert to maximize your performance. And if people typically are not home, that's a situation in which you should consider getting a Smart Plug &/orThermostat, so OC can turn stuff off for you.

And in case you weren't aware, if you participate and save in a certain number of consecutive OH's (what OC calls a streak), your points will start to double after a certain # of OHs, which I believe is at 100% once you get to 21 OhmHours in a row

Starting with your 2nd OH, you get a 5% bonus for points you get only during that specific OH, which increases by 5% for each additional OH you save in row).

If that's not good enough reason a reason or incentive to create a household plan and/or get Smart Thermostats and Plugs, I don't know what is!
  • I thought you had to opt in & lost almost 400 points the other day, somewhere I missed it that you were auto opted into this!

Yeah, that's how it works. I'm still advocating they change the wording for "confirm your participation" in everyone's emailed OH alert and some how make more people aware of the auto opt-in and to continuously remind people about it.
  • 2uskiwis@gmail.com2uskiwis@gmail.com San DiegoPosts: 23Member

@That Son Of A Bitz said:
    Yeah, that's how it works. I'm still advocating they change the wording for "confirm your participation" in everyone's emailed OH alert and some how make more people aware of the auto opt-in and to continuously remind people about it.

I agree. The wording "Confirm your participation Status" is confusing

It implies, to me at least, that if I don't confirm it, I'm not participating and it actually means something else. Click the link then you see a message "You are participating", don't click the link and you're still participating. There's no difference. I think there should be. I'd prefer to follow the link and then have to take some action. I guess the default of auto opting in is more advantageous for OC, from a financial perspective of course....because that's really what we're talking about..

Bingo! Which I'm fine with. They just need to be more clear and transparent with what means what.
  • 2uskiwis@gmail.com2uskiwis@gmail.com San DiegoPosts: 23Member

@That Son Of A Bitz said:
    Bingo! Which I'm fine with. They just need to be more clear and transparent with what means what.

Yep, I'm fine with it too. I'm confident I'm going to have some BIG savings future OhmHours. I've got a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel!

Lol nice!