Reminder: #OhmHour Occurrences and Notifications

Comments

• WaterGuyWaterGuy Member, Moderator Posts: 414
    edited June 2017

@[email protected], with respect, I think you may be mixing issues. Bonuses from streaks and bonuses based on your status are two separate calculations. Bonuses based on your status are worth more (up to 300% of your base points), while bonuses based on your streak are worth a maximum of 200% of your base points. Status bonuses are based on your average savings over the past 20 events, so they're actually pretty insensitive to your performance during a single event. I think streak bonuses are designed to keep people caring about every event (the threat of losing it is the whole point!), while status bonuses reward long-term, consistent savers.

Second, the streak bonuses are purely an incentive offered by OhmConnect, so there's no logical connection to the timing of the events called by the utilities. OhmConnect doesn't choose when the events occur or how much warning you get, and the utilities (to my knowledge) don't keep track of or care about how many events in a row you personally beat your forecast. Once again, the streak bonus is purely an incentive offered by OhmConnect to keep people caring about each event, and you're welcome to preserve your streak or not. If you're able to make the sacrifices necessary to preserve it, great, and if not, then don't worry about the occasional inconvenient OhmHour and focus on maintaining a solid long-term average to take advantage of the status bonus.

• snetphiliesnetphilie ConcordMember, Moderator Posts: 139

To comment further on what @WaterGuy just said, the specific goal that the utilities (or really CAISO) want to achieve is a system where they can, at any time, change electricity demand. Controlling supply is pretty straightforward, and the only way to fix imbalances from the supply side without fossil fuels is through storage, which costs money. So if they can control demand, there is less need for storage and fossil fuels. So because of this, we have this experiment going on, that we're all taking part in, to see how demand can be controlled. Perhaps having human intervention is relatively ineffective, which I'm guessing it is, so there is no reason for them to encourage it. Smart devices are much more reliable, but there are likely bugs with those as well, and what level of incentive is necessary to get people to purchase these devices?

If you are trying to do everything manually, and can't operate under short notice, as bad of an experience it might be for you, this is an excellent learning experience for the system as a whole. Although it may not benefit you, the system will hopefully find the right balance of rules and incentives to make this whole thing a success, and at the very least, when that happens, everything should be fairly stable and not change as often as it does now, so all of us can plan accordingly.

If I can look into my crystal ball for a minute, I think that we are not likely to see incentives increase, but rather, decrease. What would make a perfect system? What if half the population had smart thermostats and had them automatically adjust by two or three degrees during high demand. What if a large number of people with solar panels installed home battery systems with smart controls that would push electricity onto the grid during high demand and charge during low demand. It only takes a few of these changes on a large scale to make the whole system stable. Once that happens, all consumers are essentially competing against each other, and so incentives will nearly match the cost of participating. In other words, take advantage of these high incentives while you can, because I don't think it will last!

• KingdomkidsKingdomkids Member Posts: 18

@ [email protected]
    What I was referring to was not so much the short notifications, but like Mara I'm not on my phone or tablet 24/7. For instance on Saturdays Ohm hour I was out working around the yard most of the day, never saw the notifications until the Ohm hour was finished.
    Ohmconnect just assumes we are opted in the Ohm hour if we do not opt out.

• The Bitz BoysThe Bitz Boys Union CityModerator Posts: 1,017
    @Kramer Yes. That is how this works. I highly recommend you get some Smart Devices and hook them up to OC, so you don't have to think about participating in the OH - OC will automatically do it for you!

Status change again today, was Platinum now Silver. My forecasted use for Monday 5/29....1.895, actual use....0.458, made 1036 points.
    Forecasted use for Wednesday 6/7....1.97, actual use 0.333, made 398 points and get bumped down to silver WTH.
    Please help me understand your logic in these calculations. My logic says it's time to disconnect from ohm-connect!

@kramer what does your Dashboard show as your percent savings? And have you opted out of any OHs? Keep in mind that OHs that you opt out of are factored into your average savings over the previous 20 OHs. And if your % savings goes below 40%, you drop down to gold status and if it goes below 20%, you drop down to Silver?

If it's showing above 20%, then something is not right and you should post a screenshot of it here.
    edited June 2017

Well what do you know, another status change today.....back to Platinum. Percent of savings shows 50%. What's interesting I was platinum going into Wednesdays Ohm hour, when results were posted Friday I was at silver.
    So with that said I basically lost several hundred points which equates to lost $$$.... manipulation at it's finest!

They usually correct the points too. Have you contacted OC support yet to look into potential lost points?

They'll most likely either award them to you if in fact you did lose any or help you understand why they are correct.

Alternatively, if you want to post all of your numbers here (since no one outside of OC can look into your account) either using screenshots or uploading your point history csv file, we have a bunch of expert volunteer sleuths ( @KarenE, @SaveTheWorld, @UkiwiS, @WaterGuy, @snetphilie, @Steve Reed) who have a very good working knowledge of how points are calculated who might be able to help.

But your best bet is to reach out to OC support because they'll be able to see your account in it's entirety.
  • UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoMember, Moderator Posts: 1,625

@Kramer said:
    Well what do you know, another status change today.....back to Platinum. Percent of savings shows 50%. What's interesting I was platinum going into Wednesdays Ohm hour, when results were posted Friday I was at silver.
    So with that said I basically lost several hundred points which equates to lost $$$.... manipulation at it's finest!

OC is NOT "manipulating" your results, I'm certain of that and that's based on my personal experience in dealing with them and because I personally download my data from the utility (SDG&E) and calculate my own forecasts. I can tell you that they EXACTLY match those that I see in the performance dashboard.

Having said that, I think there's a bug in the system and it's unable to correctly calculate the "Status Level" when there is an #OHMHour that is showing TBD. I know I'm platinum as I've been there for all of 2017 and my average saving over the last 20 is currently running at 89%. That is confirmed by the highlighted data in the screenshot below. Despite this I'm showing Silver and I believe it's because last nights #OHMHour is "TBD".

I'm 100% confident that when the data is available and that TBD goes away, it will have been calculated correctly and the status level will again show platinum.

@Kramer, can you please post the following data for your most recent #OhmHour that is scored?
    Points awarded (CSV Download)
    Streak Bonus Points awarded (CSV Download)
    Current Bonus Level that applied for that #OHMHour

• Steve ESteve E Member, Moderator Posts: 329

@UkiwiS

I don't think that can be the case regard pending #OhmHours here is a screenshot of my dashboard - I currently have 4 #OhmHours TBD and have never lost Platinum status.

I was Platinum using the old calculation method and retained it when the calculation changed.

• SaveTheWorldSaveTheWorld Member, Moderator Posts: 39

@Kramer as @UkiwiS suggested pls provide those details and someone will be able to help you.

I too have a TBD and still my status is retained at platinum. I do agree there may be some errors here and there. I have a result showing my usage and forecast exactly same even though SCE shows different data. I have informed OC team about it and they said they would rectify it. They are always here to help. A lot of new features are being added frequently to enable users like us to earn more and also have fun at the same time. With so many changes there could be some bugs too which OC has been correcting pretty quickly when it is reported.

My points were credited overnight and I can confirm that there does seem to be a problem here. My points WERE calculated as though I was at the Silver status level, which I believe to be incorrect.

• Matt DMatt D Administrator Posts: 36

Hi everyone - wanted to point you to some of the bugs that we have recognized over the past week or so here: https://forum.ohmconnect.com/discussion/comment/4961#Comment_4961

• rainy schrickerrainy schricker Member Posts: 40
    I recently moved and updated my address and I am currently awaiting approval again. In the meantime I have gone from Platinum to Bronze now. Once I am approved again will I go back to my Platinum status?
    @rainy schricker Not right away since your status is based on your average % reduction over the previous 20 OHs (including those you may have opted out of). Since you just moved, I'm guessing there have not been 20 OHs for you.

Once you're approved, you'll be leveled up to Silver and then you'll be leveled back up to Platinum once there have been 20 OH's that you have an average reduction of 40% or more. If <40%, but >20%, you'll be leveled up to Gold.

Good luck with reducing your energy use in your new home. And keep on saving on!
    Bummer. Thank you!
    Do I also need to revoke the previous authorization?
    edited June 2017

@rainy schricker, I'm guessing so, given that you have to sign a new CISR.

Thanks.
  • clawr1313clawr1313 Member Posts: 2
    How do you opt out?
    @clawr1313 You opt-out by clicking on the small light gray opt-out button in your OH email alert.
  • Sean4Sean4 Member Posts: 10

Had an ohm hour last night and halfway through I got home to find my nest thermostat still running the AC, it shows up in connected devices but failed to turn off during the ohm hour. :'(

Hi @[email protected]. I'm sorry that happened--you definitely aren't alone, though, as many other users have reported the same thing. I'd recommend checking the other threads before you ask a question or report an issue; in addition to reducing clutter in the forums, consolidating the reports helps the OC support folks understand the problem more quickly (such as, for example, whether this is an individual connectivity issue on your end or a widespread problem) and helps you stay abreast of any posted solutions. Here's just one of the other relevant threads:

https://forum.ohmconnect.com/discussion/935/smart-devices-didnt-switch-off-june-18-7-8-pm-ohmhour#latest

• Sean4Sean4 Member Posts: 10

@WaterGuy said:
    Hi @[email protected]. I'm sorry that happened--you definitely aren't alone, though, as many other users have reported the same thing. I'd recommend checking the other threads before you ask a question or report an issue; in addition to reducing clutter in the forums, consolidating the reports helps the OC support folks understand the problem more quickly (such as, for example, whether this is an individual connectivity issue on your end or a widespread problem) and helps you stay abreast of any posted solutions. Here's just one of the other relevant threads:

https://forum.ohmconnect.com/discussion/935/smart-devices-didnt-switch-off-june-18-7-8-pm-ohmhour#latest

Thanks for the heads up.

• BayMavsBayMavs Member Posts: 17

@UkiwiS said:

@Kramer said:

OC is NOT "manipulating" your results, I'm certain of that and that's based on my personal experience in dealing with them and because I personally download my data from the utility (SDG&E) and calculate my own forecasts. I can tell you that they EXACTLY match those that I see in the performance dashboard.

Having said that, I think there's a bug in the system and it's unable to correctly calculate the "Status Level" when there is an #OHMHour that is showing TBD. I know I'm platinum as I've been there for all of 2017 and my average saving over the last 20 is currently running at 89%. That is confirmed by the highlighted data in the screenshot below. Despite this I'm showing Silver and I believe it's because last nights #OHMHour is "TBD".

I'm 100% confident that when the data is available and that TBD goes away, it will have been calculated correctly and the status level will again show platinum.

@UkiwiS said:

@Kramer said:

@UkiwiS How come your forecast is around 5Kwh everytime:) Any inputs?

@BayMavs, @UkiwiS (and some other savvy users) charge their electric vehicles during the hours when they normally receive OhmHours. By shifting the energy use they'd incur anyway to those time slots, they can boost their forecasts. I'd bet his forecast for a morning OhmHour would be much smaller.

• BayMavsBayMavs Member Posts: 17

@water&gt; @WaterGuy said:

@BayMavs, @UkiwiS (and some other savvy users) charge their electric vehicles during the hours when they normally receive OhmHours. By shifting the energy use they'd incur anyway to those time slots, they can boost their forecasts. I'd bet his forecast for a morning OhmHour would be much smaller.

So I understand correctly, are you saying that some users will use more energy during the OhmHours so that they receive higher forecasts next time. If Yes, then what happens to the Streak ?

edited June 2017

@BayMavs said:
    @water&gt; @WaterGuy said:

So I understand correctly, are you saying that some users will use more energy during the OhmHours so that they receive higher forecasts next time. If Yes, then what happens to the Streak ?

Yes, this is exactly what I do but I think you're a little confused. The forecast is based on the previous days usage at that timeslot. 10 days for a weekday or 4 for a weekend. We're not using more during an OhmHour, we're alway using less. Streak Bonus is retained. I know that 33% of my OhmHours are 7-8 and another 33% are 8-9. I'm only "available" for those after 6pm and I "work" my forecast during those times/days when there is no #OhmHour. Technically it costs me more to charge the car when I do (vs after midnight) but it inflates the forecast significantly. Now, when there is an #OhmHour I turn everything off, including the car...forecast is high so easy to beat it and retain bonus.

For example, yesterday's OhmHour Sunday 7-8pm. I saved 5.501 kWh (not scored yet) and on platinum with 160% bonus it should be about $55 by my estimates.

• John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamMember Posts: 585

All this makes kinda makes you wonder when CAISO will have a facepalm moment where they say, "Look at all these people bragging about taking actions that artificially create the very problems we are trying to solve. If the program didn't exist, we'd have never had many of these imbalances in the first place."