Reminder: #OhmHour Occurrences and Notifications

Comments

• SD ChipSD Chip Member Posts: 146

@Claudia Can you confirm for me whether either of those notifications I received for today are accurate?

So to recap....over the last 2 days I received notifications for 3 separate ohm hours. Only the OH on Thursday from 5-6 pm was a valid OH. The other 2 do not show on my dashboard or CSV. Not sure why I am getting these phantom notices. Help was unable to answer the question as well.

Is any other user experiencing these same random notifications?

• Summer1Summer1 Member Posts: 117
    I didnt receive notification for last hour we had on 21st but i was under yay didnt get much but was under this is second time i did not receive a txt alert. But did contact support and they made good on it. Wish theyd fix whats wrong
  • KingdomkidsKingdomkids Member Posts: 18

@Claudia On Thursday 9/21 Ohm hour my TP Link failed to turn off, thankfully I turned it off through the Kasa app.

• Kendra FargoKendra Fargo Member Posts: 21
    edited September 2017
    Just got the results for my 9/21 ohm. I received an email 7 minutes before it started saying I had a 1.09 estimated forecast. Now that I got the results it only gave .585 . This is a little frustrating because had I known my forecast was so little I would have put more attention into making sure extra things were turned off. Luckily I still earned 79 points but is very disappointing and somewhat scary to not be able to depend on the forecast. I know the forecast is just an estimate but being almost 50% wrong seems like a lot. Is this inaccuracy part of the notification problem too?
  • John KJohn K Lake Forest - Hikers and Bikers TeamMember Posts: 585
    edited September 2017

@Kendra Fargo, see this FAQ, especially the last part.

• Kendra FargoKendra Fargo Member Posts: 21
    @John K Thank you for the link. I know it is just an estimate and that it can change but it is just disappointing that it was so far off. Now that this has happened I cannot see myself trusting the estimate at all in the future. It’s just a lesson learned moment. Thankfully I didn’t go over and still have my streak.
  • Julz OwenJulz Owen Member Posts: 5

Is it just me or did anyone else just get an email about an ohm hr halfway through it AGAIN???

• Steve ESteve E Member, Moderator Posts: 329

@Julz Owen said:
    Is it just me or did anyone else just get an email about an ohm hr halfway through it AGAIN???

Not me... I just got one for tomorrow between 5 & 6 PM

• Julz OwenJulz Owen Member Posts: 5

Steve, the one i just got says Tuesday....

• UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoMember, Moderator Posts: 1,625

@Kendra Fargo said:
    @John K Thank you for the link. I know it is just an estimate and that it can change but it is just disappointing that it was so far off. Now that this has happened I cannot see myself trusting the estimate at all in the future. It’s just a lesson learned moment. Thankfully I didn’t go over and still have my streak.

To avoid a shock I download my data daily and run a macro to calculate my forecast should there be an #OhmHour today. It took a bit to set it up but takes me 3-4 minutes a day now.

As an example, here's my forecast if there is an #OhmHour tonight at 6pm.

If there isn't one today then the oldest reading at the top gets dropped and the reading from today goes into the bottom of the column. You'll note that 9/11, 9/20 and 9/21 are missing. That's because there were #OhmHours on those dates so the data doesn't count.

• The Bitz BoysThe Bitz Boys Union CityModerator Posts: 1,017
    @UkiwiS can you share your macros?
  • UkiwiSUkiwiS San DiegoMember, Moderator Posts: 1,625

@AKPsi Vince said:
    @UkiwiS can you share your macros?

I could but to be honest I think it'd be easier for people to develop their own. The macro manipulates data from SDG&E and I doubt the other utilities have it in the same format with the same fields/headers etc etc. It needs exactly 14 days so you must manually download the right amount of data, and delete days that had OhmHours so you need to keep track of that to ensure you get exactly what you need....and it's different for everyone of course. Plus some people have hourly data which will need a different macro since I have 15 min data because I'm on time of use.

• 12thwomanIE12thwomanIE Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2017

@Julz Owen said:

Edited to say my Ohm Hour is actually tomorrow--I'm off a day. Whoops!

• Steve ESteve E Member, Moderator Posts: 329

@Julz Owen said:
    Steve, the one i just got says Tuesday....

Does this show up on your dashboard now?

• My account keeps deducting points when I did not enroll into an Ohm hour. I have not participated in a few months and yet it shows I have been losing points for every one that occurs. What is going on with this?
    You don't enroll in OhmHours. By default, you are enrolled and expected to participate in an OhmHour unless you opt-out of it, which you can do in advance when you a receive an OhmHour alert or even a few minutes into the OhmHour.

If I may ask, why have you not (actively) participated in an OhmHour in a few months?
  • dmd617dmd617 Member Posts: 3
    It’s showing an Ohmhour yesterday Monday Oct 2nd from 7-8pm. However, I never received a notifications for it. Is this another glitch?

My issue that has been reoccurring involves getting notifications from the APP on my iphone for Ohm Hours that are not legit.
    I would get notified, but only by the app. I turned off notifications from the APP in settings. Hopefully that should fix it.

There's your problem. DELETE the app! It doesn't work & isn't updated. It's not even available in the apple or google app stores.
  • Alex FAlex F Member Posts: 8

I want to thank Ohmconnect for the last few "OhmHour" advance notices. They gave me time to complete certain projects on my computer and figure our how to spend that Sunday, 7 pm- 8 pm hour. Your program just keeps getting better and better! Alex F

• Alex FAlex F Member Posts: 8

@Jacklynn Hudson said:
    My account keeps deducting points when I did not enroll into an Ohm hour. I have not participated in a few months and yet it shows I have been losing points for every one that occurs. What is going on with this?

Hi, Jacklynn:

If you don't "Opt Out" of an Ohm Hour, then your treated as participating. By chance, when you got notice of an approaching Ohm Hour, did you click on the "Opt Out" box? If not, you may want to start doing that for those Ohm Hours that you do not wish to partake in.

• @Kramer said:
    @Claudia On Thursday 9/21 Ohm hour my TP Link failed to turn off, thankfully I turned it off through the Kasa app.

Please write in to support and I can help you out.

• @Alex F said:
    I want to thank Ohmconnect for the last few "OhmHour" advance notices. They gave me time to complete certain projects on my computer and figure our how to spend that Sunday, 7 pm- 8 pm hour. Your program just keeps getting better and better! Alex F

Thanks so much!

• @AKPsi Vince said:
    There's your problem. DELETE the app! It doesn't work & isn't updated. It's not even available in the apple or google app stores.

Agreed-- THE APP IS NOT SUPPORTED ON ANDROID OR APPLE. Please use your web browser.

• Heather R. WeatherHeather R. Weather Member Posts: 125

nice to see you back, Kate :)

• @Heather R. Weather said:
    nice to see you back, Kate :)

Thanks Heather!!

• pizzaman51pizzaman51 Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2018
    I sometimes feel like we're deliberately set up for failure with regards to streaks. The plan is marketed as a means to make extra money to help with our power bill, but then manipulate the situation by doing the last-minute notifications. Is it that way they so they don't have to pay so much? Or, doing them when we have a low hourly usage number in our historical data? And buying the devices from the Ohm Connect store seem to me to be way overpriced. It would take a long time to even break even on the costs of all the smart devices being marketed. I'm just now starting to shut off my main breaker to maximize my score...IF I get the notifications in time. This last Saturday I just happened to see the alert...with 7 minutes to spare. It also seems crazy that we can't opt out with less than 15 minutes advance when we don't find out until 7 minutes before. I was just about to start preparing dinner and had to just shut down everything...for a measly 77 points (for zero consumption because I shut off my main breaker)!
  • CynnaCynna Member Posts: 5
    I understand that this is an older thread but as I am reading it the same suggestions from your users are coming out and they are very valid. We are really not asking to abuse the system and we do understand that the utility companies don't always give great notice for dirty power usage. In the beginning of joining I received notifications early, and though my projected has really been over 1.0kWh (usually closer to 0.5) it is a hard goal to beat. Unfortunately for me I have medical issues which prevent me from turning off my breaker which I wish that I could but we have in the last year replaced our refrigerator, windows, HVAC and insulation. The hot water heater is even new from the last few years. Unfortunately that did not lower our projected usage like I thought it would since our utility bills lowered. Our thermostat monitors us and turns off when we move out of range and all devices including TVs shut down if not used. Basically if humans are not moving the house sleeps.

Enter in OHM hour. Not only is it a bad idea to automatically opt people in when you say that utilities can give you a few minutes notice and you pass that on to your users. Not a lot of users are like my sister with 5 kids, a dedicated husband and all connected to their phones. By the way 3 of those kids are not old enough to navigate apps and the husband does big demolition so he is away from home sometimes on week long projects so count him out too. Many families are single people, pairs or maybe two kids. Not all couples can communicate well enough to be on top of managing a smart house with just a few minutes or even an hour of notice. Often we have our jobs going on so phones should not be in our hands or we are driving home, cooking dinner, trying to get children to cooperate, etc. Phones also have a battery life and although they chirp and chime to say they need a charge, that noise is always conveniently when the phone is way out of earshot or far from a charging source. I personally check my phone once every few hours if it does not chime and your notifications for OHM hour have chimed sometimes right when I am cooking or taking my dogs outside. By the time I am opting out that small 15m window is laughing as it resets my hard earned first streak in a long time and stuffing a few points in dirty pockets.

Please think about adjusting your system so that people can be automatically opted out and select to opt in themselves. You could also realize that energy usage is no real surprise! It goes based on the weatheras a big factor so if you take into account local forecasted temperatures and find that it is going to be really hot or cold you can infer dirty power may be used. Yesterday my parents had the slider open because it was a wonderful day but around 2pm my dad said it was time to close it because the AC would kick on soon. I mentioned that between 2 and 4pm the sun bakes and gets the hottest. Sure enough the AC kicked on and the breeze outside stopped dead. Right after closing the door the AC turned off so it was great that without any suggestion they were being smart energy savers. I am not saying do your own OHM hours ahead of power plants but hey if you can and have us all save some power ahead of time then one comes up that wouldn't be so bad right? If you see that you've done a few extra OHM hours for a specific area then the next time you receive a warning from the utility company you could opt to skip.

By being part of your program we all are letting you know just how power conscious we are. I think that opting us in and then not informing us at least a day ahead so that we are not at work, away from our phones or taking care of our families which is priority before starting at our phones for that last second OHM to opt out of (or shut our homes down for) is just bad on your part. We know you mean well and are adapting and growing the program amazingly over the years. Thank you so much for your hard work. I think that not addressing this issue for so long though is really hurting the community so please work a little harder to find us a middle ground that benefits both you and us as a community as well as the power grids out there.