Are there any penalties associated with #OhmHours?

If you participate in an #OhmHour (note: by default, all users are opted in to #OhmHours unless you specifically opt out) and you use more than .2kWh of energy above your forecasted amount, you can incur negative points.

A few things to keep in mind:
1. OhmConnect made the difficult decision to issue negative points to users who don't reduce during #OhmHours in order to be able to issue higher point values to users that do reduce.
2. OhmConnect will never charge you. Although negative points may reduce your current balance, you will never owe OhmConnect any money. Further, we have no way of charging you.

Comments

• SyNaPsESyNaPsE Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2016

This sounds fair in principle, but do you have a way to work with folks who have a solar installation? What happens is that if an OhmHour happens during a rainy or overcast day, there is no hope of being able to reduce my usage to offset the reduced solar generation no matter what I do. I take a huge hit, even though it's not anything I can control.

• dstjohn99dstjohn99 Member Posts: 371

@SyNaPsE OC events only look at net usage. If you have this situation you should opt-out of the event so you are not penalized.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2016

Great question! @dstjohn99 and others have a great thread specific to solar users. I recommend having a look over there so we can get all of our solar users together!

• Leahguillen1_2Leahguillen1_2 Madera CaMember Posts: 12
    > @Kate from OhmConnect said:
    > If you participate in an #OhmHour (note: by default, all users are opted in to #OhmHours unless you specifically opt out) and you use more than .2kWh of energy above your forecasted amount, you can incur negative points.
    >
    > A few things to keep in mind:
    > 1. OhmConnect made the difficult decision to issue negative points to users who don't reduce during #OhmHours in order to be able to issue higher point values to users that do reduce.
    > 2. OhmConnect will never charge you. Although negative points may reduce your current balance, you will never owe OhmConnect any money. Further, we have no way of charging you.
  • wedwithbabieswedwithbabies Member Posts: 2
    I'm a little bummed as I just now realized you can acquire negative points for going over projected usage! With five people in the house - three being non bill paying energy hogs of kids it can be incredibly hard to keep under the projected amount! I love being able to participate & see our actual usage - just a little saddened to know we are penalized on the days they are home & using more energy!

When I first realized how negative I was I honesty didn't want to participate anymore! But to be fair - I'm not participating for the $ but to be more aware of our usage. Trying to teach the kids so we can be better!
  • breesalabreesala Member Posts: 8

I'm hoping that since I can't opt out tonight, I can at least get my family to not use too much. I hate losing points!