Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

OhmConnect's NEW Enrollment and Referral Program

Kate from OhmConnectKate from OhmConnect Posts: 999Administrator

Hopefully you’re all subscribed to our weekly email, the Energy Spotlight. We’ve just announced our brand new enrollment and referral bonus program.

Beginning November 18th (tomorrow), OhmConnect members can now earn up to $75 for referring a new member and up to $75 for enrolling in OhmConnect. That’s right-- this is our biggest incentive to date!

How it works:
When you refer new members to OhmConnect, you receive one-time bonuses as they reach a higher status levels. (Need a refresher on Status Levels? Check out this blog post.)

500 points for Silver
2000 points for Gold
5000 points for Platinum

That’s right-- you get paid as your referrals level up. If your referral reaches Platinum, you’ll have earned a total of 7500 points ($75, or up to a $90 gift card to our Store)!

New members also receive payments as they level up. Rather than paying new members an outright, one-time payment, OhmConnect pays you to move up through the ranks.

How this affects current members
Current members will still receive new bonuses when they level up to a higher status-- that’s in addition to legacy $20 signup bonuses already paid.

For instance, if you’re currently a “Gold” level member, you will receive the 5000 “Platinum” level bonus when you achieve that status.

Recommendations for referrals
Our best referrers have found that posting their links to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, a personal blog, etc, works best. We encourage you to include a personal note explaining OhmConnect with your own pitch.

Since your earnings are tied to your referrals’ ability to level up, start thinking about whom you can recruit! Got a friend with an electric vehicle? Send him our way! Have a friend living in an apartment with 5 people? They’re bound to have a high baseline and could stand to reduce a few kilowatts during an #OhmHour.

We hope you’re as excited as we are about this update. Got ideas for recruiting Platinum-eligible members? Post them here!

Tagged:

Comments

• HENRI FONGHENRI FONG Posts: 5Member

What about if I am currently at Platinum level, how can I receive bonus by level up?

• dstjohn99dstjohn99 Posts: 372Member

@HENRI FONG I'm platinum too. We are probably out of luck, but we get a lot of points from our savings!

• Kate from OhmConnectKate from OhmConnect Posts: 999Administrator

@HENRI FONG if you are already Platinum, you won't get the bonus. But as @dstjohn99 you are eligible for rebates and other offers as a Platinum user!

• How long does it take to get approved and can i participate before being approved?
  • How often can you cash out?
  • That Son Of A BitzThat Son Of A Bitz Union CityPosts: 608Moderator
    @dormeshiacameron@yahoo.com and @melissawiles73@gmail.com Did you already try using the search function to find your answers? If not, I suggest you try it out. It's really helpful and probably the quickest way to get an answer unless it's about something that's specific to your account. In which case, you should contact OC support.

Here are links to a few threads that came up when I tried searching for answers to your questions:

Approval Time:
    https://forum.ohmconnect.com/discussion/comment/903#Comment_903

OhmHour Participation:
    https://forum.ohmconnect.com/discussion/436/can-i-participate-in-ohmhours-while-im-still-waiting-to-be-approved#latest

Cash out:
    https://forum.ohmconnect.com/discussion/comment/2511#Comment_2511
  • Trevor EriksenTrevor Eriksen Posts: 1Member
    I invited my friends to join awhile back and they were both approved recently they got their 2000 points but I've got nothing what's going on?
  • Am I the only one very confused by this new reward structure?
    There seem to be two ways to get paid. One: if someone I refer joins OhmConnect. Two: if I move up in rank (e.g. become Gold or become Platinum). Is my understanding correct?

So if I'm a Gold member, do I get $50 for every new member that joins using my referral? This is the part that is only ambiguously hinted, not clearly specified anywhere.

edited January 14
    @Ellen Paik Jeong You being a gold member means you get more perks with the OC store and get additional incentives for connecting a Smart Thermostat amongst other things.

In regards to getting the $50 referral incentive, that's based on your referral getting to Platinum, not your own level. The way I understand it is even if you are at a lower level such as silver, you AND your referral would get the $20 incentive (not $50) when (s)he hits Gold. And then you & your referral would get an additional $50 when (s)he reached platinum, even if you remained at silver.

Hopefully, this clears thing up for you. Good luck referring everyone you know and earning some great referral incentives!
  • So you're saying that even if I'm a silver member, if my referral gets to Gold then I get $50?

It's stuff like this that's confusing and needs to be spelled out more clearly.

edited January 14
    @Ellen Paik Jeong Yes, that's my understanding and I agree that there needs to be more clarity around this new referral program.

Edit: I was mistaken. You get $20 for Gold and then an additional $50 for leveling up to platinum. My apologies for the inaccurate info.

@Kate from OhmConnect Any chance you've considered putting together an FAQ for the new referral program?
  • jasmine winchjasmine winch Posts: 96Member
    I don't think its fair to us that are already Platinum status and have referred friends that have also got to Platinum not be rewarded somehow. We have been participating since the beginning and have worked hard to get there. @Kate from OhmConnect Maybe there should be an additional bonus for users that are already at Platinum or Gold status before the new bonus date started. Why are we not being rewarded only new users?
  • so you no longer get $20 for referring people to ohm?

edited January 14
    @'jonathan.mercad0' Nope! I'm really glad you asked this question.

If anything, it looks like just $5 initially (Edit: $5 is for when you get to Silver, not Bronze) and you start at the bronze level. And then once your referral levels up to [Edit: Gold, not Silver], you and your referral would get an additional $20, and then once your referral gets to [Edit: Platinum, not Gold] by doing all listed requirements during an OhmHour, you both get an additional $50 each for a total of $75 each. That's a total of $150 split between the two of you versus the $40 both of you would get together with the previous referral program.

And I don't blame OC for changing the referral incentive because it looks like some people were just in it to make a quick buck without any intent to participate in the program by saving energy during OhmHours, which defeats the whole purpose of the program.

For some, it quickly became a game of "let's see how many people I can refer and get to sign up, so we can all get an easy $20". And then they split!

I wouldn't be surprised if there were bloggers or other social media gurus with a huge following that posted their referral code on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. I've noticed there are/were some users that made over $10,000. And I doubt it was through energy savings.

Because this is a new concept and can be confusing to folks, it can be quite hard to get people to sign up by any other means than talking to people and explaining what it is about. But what is easy and I suspect happened, is that they posted how joining OC is an easy way to make a quick $20, which is just enough incentive to make it worth it for people to endure the challenges that sometimes came with enrolling in the program and cashing out. And then guess what? These people that were referred and joined to make quick cash, tell others how easy it is to make quick cash, which perpetuates the problem.

But for the new referral program with only an initial $5, I think it'll deter people from joining just to make quick cash. Instead, it will attract people who will really want to participate in the program and make a difference.

If it didn't change, I can see it potentially putting OC out of business. And I don't know about you, but I'd rather OC stay in business, so I can continue to do the right thing and help save the environment by saving energy, and as an added bonus, earn points that I can cash out and/or buy a really cool Smart device like a Nest thermostat.

Because I'm sure you're not one of those people who joined for the quick cash, it makes sense, right? ;)
    @That Son Of A Bitz I was told and the site still says you still get $20 per referral. I have points pending for referrals at 2000 points each. @Kate from OhmConnect there is still the $20 referral bonus correct
    @jasmine winch Ok. That's a whole different topic than your comment about additional points for users who are already at the gold/platinum levels and the $20 incentive going forward.

According to their blog post about the new incentive referral program (https://blog.ohmconnect.com/2016/11/16/earn-up-to-75-per-referral/#more-377), I'd assume that if the new one started on 11/18, the old one ended at that time as well. But I would think they'd honor the bonus for folks who joined to a certain point. Although I don't know if that only applies to people who completed enrollment, which was confirmed by their utility by 11/18 or if people could have joined by the 18th and then signed the form, connected their utility account and/or got approval from their utility after that date.

And actually, when you visit their homepage, it does state, "Earn up to $75 for joining the free service". Are you seeing the $20 referral bonus referenced somewhere else on their website? If so, OC needs to update it.

@Kate from OhmConnect Can you provide some clarity on the previous incentive program?
    Yes it did say $20 for signing up when I referred my referrals and they signed up prior to the 18th. They are all still pending though. On my spreadsheet download I do see them at 2000 pending points each. But will we both rexieve the 2000 points each when they are approved? Idk @Kate from OhmConnect

@Ellen Paik Jeong I'm sorry to hear you're confused by this structure. It's designed to help you earn even more money for users that are valuable to OhmConnect!

You're correct-- as your referrals earn new statuses, you are also rewarded! So if you refer a new user, once he receives silver, you get both get 500 points. If he gets to silver, you both get 2000 points. If he should make it to Platinum, you both get an additional 5000 points.

@jasmine winch This change to our program is certainly not meant to be punitive. Instead, it aligns with our business goals and encourages you to refer users who can achieve the highest status. Time to go after those big homes or folks you know with electric vehicles sucking up power!

If you're already Platinum, we won't award you additional points (you've already gotten $20-$40) just for signing up. However, you are entitled to other bonuses: if you make purchases from our store, you're entitled to rebates that other users are not. We're also working on other features that may award points based on your status.

We're always working on our incentive program to encourage user sign up, and we do reserve the right to change this at any time. If you're part of our program and doing well, we keep you in mind and you should see ways to keep earning points! Happy to chat in private if you have further questions about this.

Hey @That Son Of A Bitz and @jasmine winch - Any user who signs up after 11/18 or who is verified after 11/18 will be rewarded based on the new referral structure. You should see these updates shortly in your referral spreadsheet. I want to reiterate that these changes align with our business structure and our need to draw in new users. As with any program, referral incentives help us reach new customers using our best asset: our existing customers! I think it goes without saying that we don't want to give away money for free :)

Again, happy to talk about this further if you have specific questions. Feel free to PM me.

So I will get $5 each referral when they are verified and when they move up awarded more? Because when they signed up it stated they would get the $20 referral bonus for sign up because it was before the change. But because they have been pending for weeks now and havent been approved they won't get it correct? @Kate from OhmConnect

Hey @jasmine winch - For anyone verified after 11/8, yes, it's $5 when your referrals reach verification, and then up to a total of $75 as they progress! Let's talk offline about some of those referrals you're still waiting on.

• My baseline isn't at 1 KWH so does that mean I'll never get to gold status?

@Christopher Shue (Christopher S) I think you're a tad confused there! Status level is award based on your reduction, not your baseline. So if you reduce a kilowatt per hour below your baseline, that's when you'll earn gold.

Here's an example:

Your forecast/baseline is 2kWh for 5-6pm. Your actual usage during that time is 1kWh. That's a a kilowatt reduction!

• dstjohn99dstjohn99 Posts: 372Member

I believe @Christopher Shue (Christopher S) point is his baseline usage is below 1kWh, so if he uses 0 he will still not get to 1kWh reduction. In that case, you will not be able to level up to gold or higher. Unless, you use more power than usual for 10 weekdays, then reduce significantly for the next event. That will get you over the hump and you can go back to normal. Only you will know if it is worth it.

• Mom2themMom2them Stockton CaPosts: 4Member
  • I flipped my breaker off for the Ohm Hour. Didnt even get to 1 kilowatt reduction. This will be hard to achieve Gold Status and get the additional 2000 pts as a bonus... and very difficult for all possible referrals too I guess!!!

• UndukiUnduki Posts: 1Member

So what about the people you've been ignoring from the last program? Will you ever get around to completing those other bonus programs you promised? I signed up in September and you're telling me I have to wait 30 days... Makes absolutely no sense, but I suspect you're making your money.

Hi @Unduki for users who have not been verified, the structure has changed. If a user is verified after 11/18, you and the referral will be eligible for the new structure.

This discussion has been closed.